Mini JBuilder-OSX howto.

2003-10-04 07:27:48 AM
jbuilder21
Hey everyone,
I wrote up a little howto on getting jbuilder installed and running on
OSX. It includes a script for launching jbuilder.
minnigerode.org/CA-SF/dave/jbuilder-mac.html
Hopfully everyone will find it useful. If you notice any
errors I'd be happy to hear about them.
later
dave

Re:Mini JBuilder-OSX howto.

Hi Dave/Mark
I've just tried your instructions and have succeeded in getting the
personal edition of JBuilder to launch on my G5 - which if you've
followed the "no de{*word*81}" thread you'll know has been an issue for me.
Thanks for providing this. I'll look more closely through the code and
see what it includes that I had overlooked before.

In < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >Stewart Arneil wrote:
Thanks for providing this. I'll look more closely through the code
and see what it includes that I had overlooked before.
Yes, thanks David for providing an interesting variant
of the script which I've been peddling (smileys needed?).
The curious thing is that the script actually works
for JBuilder 9! It doesn't specify lib/javac.jar
in the -Xbootclasspath option. What's going here?
Also, it's interesting that JBuilder 9 Personal
installs with the following
sh jb_install.bin LAX_VM $JAVA_HOME/bin/java
(after defining JAVA_HOME), whereas trying the same
thing with say Enterprise on a CD doesn't seem to
work. I've tried numerous things to install from
a CD, but have failed spectacularly.
Has anyone been able to install JBuilder 9 from a
Developer or Enterprise CD?
Paul Furbacher [TeamB]
Save time, search the archives:
Is it in Joi Ellis's Faq-O-Matic?
Thank you.

{smallsort}

Re:Mini JBuilder-OSX howto.

Paul Furbacher [TeamB] wrote:
In < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >Stewart Arneil wrote:

>Thanks for providing this. I'll look more closely through the code
>and see what it includes that I had overlooked before.

Yes, thanks David for providing an interesting variant
of the script which I've been peddling (smileys needed?).

The curious thing is that the script actually works
for JBuilder 9! It doesn't specify lib/javac.jar
in the -Xbootclasspath option. What's going here?

Also, it's interesting that JBuilder 9 Personal
installs with the following

sh jb_install.bin LAX_VM $JAVA_HOME/bin/java

(after defining JAVA_HOME), whereas trying the same
thing with say Enterprise on a CD doesn't seem to
work. I've tried numerous things to install from
a CD, but have failed spectacularly.

Has anyone been able to install JBuilder 9 from a
Developer or Enterprise CD?

Paul Furbacher [TeamB]

Save time, search the archives:

Is it in Joi Ellis's Faq-O-Matic?

Thank you.
Whew... I'm glad things actually worked for you guys... The only
testers so far have been myself and a buddy I work with.
Paul, of course I did use your script as a starting point
for the required params back at the beginning of the year. I just
wasn't entirely sure it was written by you since I
hadn't looked at the newsgroup in quite a while. Sorry
for the omission. I'll update things tomorrow.
I've gotten jbuilder6 enterprise working on os x with an
earlier version of this script. I used it full time up until
I installed 9 personal a month or so ago. I did install
jb6ent from a CD but I don't really remember what the steps
were anymore. Something similar to the above with the linux
installer.
The lib/javac.jar is included in the bootclasspath. it's the second
to last entry on the BOOTCLASSPATH assignment. So nothing wild is
going on.
Ya know... it seems to me the thing to do is to wrap an App
project around the script. Then becomes easy to run
the thing from anywhere without having to make a giant plist
for the classpaths. But I don't know project builder very well
and I couldn't figure out how to get the launched jbuilder
to use the same icon on the dock as the launch app. Anyone have
ideas about this?
later
dave

Re:Mini JBuilder-OSX howto.

Paul,
My original post for installing JBuilder9 was based on using the
Enterprise CD.
Tony

In <3f833a6c$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >Mark Minnigerode wrote:
Whew... I'm glad things actually worked for you guys... The only
testers so far have been myself and a buddy I work with.
Oops, I guess I gave the impression that I tested it.
I did read it. (Is that like staying in a Holiday Inn?*)
I appreciate seeing different scripts because I'm not
well-educated in the Unix way of doing things: each is
a learning experience.
Paul, of course I did use your script as a starting point
for the required params back at the beginning of the year. I just
wasn't entirely sure it was written by you since I
hadn't looked at the newsgroup in quite a while. Sorry
for the omission. I'll update things tomorrow.
Hmmm, I didn't perceive an omission -- you referenced the
fact that the script had been floating around; I just
mentioned that I was, as some might perceive it, "peddling"
it like a salesman. (Kind of tongue-in-cheek humor, or
something like that. That's okay, my wife doesn't think
I'm funny either.)
I've gotten jbuilder6 enterprise working on os x with an
earlier version of this script. I used it full time up until
I installed 9 personal a month or so ago. I did install
jb6ent from a CD but I don't really remember what the steps
were anymore. Something similar to the above with the linux
installer.
The JBuilder 6 Enterprise CD I have in front of me has
Mac OS list among the supported platforms, so I'm almost
certain that there's an installer on the disc.
The lib/javac.jar is included in the bootclasspath. it's the second
to last entry on the BOOTCLASSPATH assignment. So nothing wild is
going on.
Ah yes, a Command-F "javac" found what my scanning
eyes failed to find.
Ya know... it seems to me the thing to do is to wrap an App
project around the script. Then becomes easy to run
the thing from anywhere without having to make a giant plist
for the classpaths.
Yes, I've done that and because the script dynamically
gathers all of the JARs (even new ones you have added, such
as Open Tools, to the lib/ext, etc.) into the classpath,
one has less to think about. If one makes an app bundle
which relies on the "info.plist" file, it's necessary to
update the classpath <array>each and every time you add
an Open Tool, a patch, etc. to the JBuilder installation.
That has caught me and some others up, leaving us scratching
our heads for a while until we realize what is going on.
But I don't know project builder very well
and I couldn't figure out how to get the launched jbuilder
to use the same icon on the dock as the launch app. Anyone have
ideas about this?
I borrowed the jbuilder.icns file from an earlier version
and put it in its respective place in the JBuilder 9 app
bundle. The only problem I have is that I've got versions
7, 8 and 9 in the Dock, and even though they are in order,
I still am never sure which one I'm starting -- is it 6 or
7 on this machine; is the one furthest to the right 9 or 8?
It would be better to alter each set to inscribe a version
number on the icon which appears in the Dock. I've done
this for the .ico files on Windows, making it quite
easy to distinguish 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 in the QuickStart
"dock". (Yes, I have _all_ those versions on the Win2K
machine ... and no disk space to speak of.)

In <3f834feb$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >Tony Piselli wrote:
My original post for installing JBuilder9 was based on using the
Enterprise CD.
Indeed, it was (June 5, 2003)! I thought I remembered that
it had been done, and I'm almost sure that back in June I
had used your instructions as the basis for installing
9 on the Cube. But when I tried it again the other day,
I couldn't repeat it. Thanks for reminding me, and
thank goodness there's an archive!

"Mark Minnigerode" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Hopfully everyone will find it useful. If you notice any
errors I'd be happy to hear about them.
Some comments on the script:
1. You might want to uncomment the lines that deal with the patch
directory. It's true that they wouldn't do anything for a clean
installation, but most of the JBuilder patches (available from the
Borland web site) do put files in the patch directory. The idea is to
provide a place where you can override classes that are in lib by
ensuring that any JAR files in the patch directory come first on the
class path. With those lines commented out, the patches won't work
properly.
2. I don't think that "cd" command at the end of the script is doing
anything. The shell script will be running in its own process. All
you're doing is changing that process's working directory immediately
before it exits. Since the only thing it does after that change is
exiting, it really doesn't matter what the working directory is set to
at that point.
3. Similarly, you might want to "exec java ..." to save yourself a
process. Once you've set up the command line arguments and you're ready
to invoke the VM, the shell script process isn't needed anymore. All
it's doing is{*word*154} around wasting memory waiting for JBuilder to
finish. Might as well get rid of the process completely.
4. I think Paul's script adds "$@" to the end of the java command:
exec java $BOOTCLASSPATH $DEFS -cp $CP $MAIN "$@"
That way you can pass arguments like "-build" or "-verbose" to JBuilder.
--
Gillmer J. Derge (TeamB)

Re:Mini JBuilder-OSX howto.

news:3f7e05ee$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>Hopfully everyone will find it useful. If you notice any
>errors I'd be happy to hear about them.

Some comments on the script:

1. You might want to uncomment the lines that deal with the patch
directory. It's true that they wouldn't do anything for a clean
installation, but most of the JBuilder patches (available from the
Borland web site) do put files in the patch directory. The idea is to
provide a place where you can override classes that are in lib by
ensuring that any JAR files in the patch directory come first on the
class path. With those lines commented out, the patches won't work
properly.
Ok... I wasn't sure about this. I just applied the patch and didn't
see any difference (didn't have time to look that close though) so
assumed the additional script didn't do anything.

2. I don't think that "cd" command at the end of the script is doing
anything. The shell script will be running in its own process. All
you're doing is changing that process's working directory immediately
before it exits. Since the only thing it does after that change is
exiting, it really doesn't matter what the working directory is set to
at that point.

Unless you've put the jbuilder bin dir on your path and are running the
script from from the command line. then your dropped into jbuilders
bin dir. which bugs me. I always figure that a little extra code
for good behaviour is nice.
3. Similarly, you might want to "exec java ..." to save yourself a
process. Once you've set up the command line arguments and you're ready
to invoke the VM, the shell script process isn't needed anymore. All
it's doing is{*word*154} around wasting memory waiting for JBuilder to
finish. Might as well get rid of the process completely.
Hmm.. this might help with the extra doc icon under project builder...
have to try it...

4. I think Paul's script adds "$@" to the end of the java command:

exec java $BOOTCLASSPATH $DEFS -cp $CP $MAIN "$@"

That way you can pass arguments like "-build" or "-verbose" to JBuilder.
Agreed... this is a good idea.
thanks!
dave

Re:Mini JBuilder-OSX howto.

"Mark Minnigerode" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Unless you've put the jbuilder bin dir on your path and are running
the
script from from the command line. then your dropped into jbuilders
bin dir. which bugs me. I always figure that a little extra code
for good behaviour is nice.
That's pretty weird, but I'll take your word for it. The shell script
ought to have its own working directory independent from the command
line from which you call it. The script should be able to "cd" all over
the place without affecting the parent process.
--
Gillmer J. Derge (TeamB)

Re:Mini JBuilder-OSX howto.

news:3f841f4d$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>Unless you've put the jbuilder bin dir on your path and are running

the

>script from from the command line. then your dropped into jbuilders
>bin dir. which bugs me. I always figure that a little extra code
>for good behaviour is nice.

That's pretty weird, but I'll take your word for it. The shell script
ought to have its own working directory independent from the command
line from which you call it. The script should be able to "cd" all over
the place without affecting the parent process.

Ack... i just tried it and you are correct. At some point in
the past I started doing this on my scripts due to some bad
experiances. But I no longer remember exactly why. oh well.
thanks
dave

Re:Mini JBuilder-OSX howto.

In < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >Paul Furbacher [TeamB]
wrote:
Has anyone been able to install JBuilder 9 from a
Developer or Enterprise CD?

I installed JB9 using the Solaris install.. worked great..
John..
TeamB are volunteer helpers. Please DO NOT REPLY VIA EMAIL!
Post all questions and replies to this newsgroup ONLY
For papers on DataExpress, Applets, JSP, and Web Development go to:
www.microps.com/mps/papers.htm