REMINDER: Do not use your real email adddress

2003-09-24 08:10:12 AM
jbuilder8
Hello everyone,
For the last 6 months I've been posting using my real work email address. I
know it leads to spam, but I wasn't worried about a few emails which I just
autodeleted. I wanted people to be able to contact me if they wanted to.
Up until now I have received about 10-20 spams a day. Last Friday it went
ballistic. Over 1000 in a single day, every one from the swen virus/worm.
So I shut down my email address and changed it to
derek@water[ANTI_SPAM_REMOVE]werks.com.au.
Swen saw right through this and within 30 minutes this new email address was
being swamped again.
I then ran some tests and posted with bogus emails to all the groups usually
take part in. Within 1 hour 3 of the addresses I used had been picked up
and where being attacked.
So I am now using completely bogus email addresses in news groups. I
apologies to anyone who wants to email me directly.
As a reminder to anyone who has been swamped with junk emails like more, or
is just about to post using their real email address - Don't!
cio
Derek Clarkson

Re:REMINDER: Do not use your real email adddress

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 10:10:12 +1000, Derek Clarkson < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

[...]

You can set up a little server to send people your email address if you want.
nc -l -p portnumber < filename
Put your email address in that file and whenever anyone connects to your
IP and that port number they will get the file. As with:
nc -n IP port>filename
For myself, I hit the server every 5 minutes and bring down the headers,
look for my address in the first place of the To: header, and if it isn't
there, delete the mail on the server. I then bring down anything under 20k,
deleting the balance on the server.
If someone wants to send me a larger file, we can use the above approach.
--
Later, Alan C
take control of your mailbox ----- elrav1 ----- tinyurl.com/l55a

Alan Connor wrote:
For myself, I hit the server every 5 minutes and bring down the headers,
look for my address in the first place of the To: header, and if it isn't
there, delete the mail on the server. I then bring down anything under 20k,
deleting the balance on the server.
I suppose you don't subscribe to any lists, because those rules would quite
effectively delete them.
Well, some people don't seem to mind not receiving legitimate e-mail. You
choice.
--
Timo Voipio | Helsinki, Finland | ICBM at: 60 11.800 N 024 52.760 E
GeekCode ver 3: GU>CC d s-: a--- C++ UL(+)$>+++$ P+>+++ L++(+) E- W++ N++

{smallsort}

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 08:10:47 +0300, Timo Voipio <tvoipio+ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

Alan Connor wrote:
>For myself, I hit the server every 5 minutes and bring down the headers,
>look for my address in the first place of the To: header, and if it isn't
>there, delete the mail on the server. I then bring down anything under 20k,
>deleting the balance on the server.

I suppose you don't subscribe to any lists, because those rules would quite
effectively delete them.

Not on any address that appears in a public forum.
If I did receive mail from mailing lists on an address publicly available,
I would then do other tests and choose not to delete those.
Like DUH.
Well, some people don't seem to mind not receiving legitimate e-mail. You
choice.

And stupid people generally assume others are stupid too.
Or are you just a troll? One more like this and I ignore any further posts
from you.
[...]

If you _have_ to use a real address which unfortunately is not @despammed.com
you can give your address like my sig ;)
//This software is a shareware ;)
#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>
int main(void)
{
char email[80];
int i;
printf("Enter your email address:\n");
scanf("%s",email);
printf("Your signature:\n");
printf("-- \n");
printf("main(){char s[");
printf("%d",strlen(email)+1);
printf("]=\"");
for(i=0;i<strlen(email);
putchar(email[i++]+1));
printf("\";");
printf("\nint i;for(i=0;i<");
printf("%d",strlen(email));
printf(";putchar(s[i++]-1));}");
return 0;
}
//pay me if you use it ;)
--
main(){char s[19]="sbwjAeftqbnnfe/dpn";
int i;for(i=0;i<18;putchar(s[i++]-1));}

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 01:43:56 -0400, Ravi wrote:
printf("Enter your email address:\n"); scanf("%s",email);
Ummm - This is trouble

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 15:59:29 -0400, Ruben < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 01:43:56 -0400, Ravi wrote:

>printf("Enter your email address:\n"); scanf("%s",email);

Ummm - This is trouble
??
May be you want to change it to
gets(email)
to accept spaces etc.
We are discussing OT stuff. Hope others don't mind.
--
main(){char s[19]="SbwjCAUpvhiHvz/ofu";
int i;for(i=0;i<18;putchar(s[i++]-1));}

Ruben < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 01:43:56 -0400, Ravi wrote:

>printf("Enter your email address:\n"); scanf("%s",email);

Ummm - This is trouble
Right - you can very easily produce a buffer overflow.
--
Knut Stolze

Ravi wrote:
On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 10:10:12 +1000, Derek Clarkson < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

>Hello everyone,
>For the last 6 months I've been posting using my real work email address. I
>know it leads to spam, but I wasn't worried about a few emails which I just
>autodeleted. I wanted people to be able to contact me if they wanted to.
>
>Up until now I have received about 10-20 spams a day. Last Friday it went
>ballistic. Over 1000 in a single day, every one from the swen virus/worm.
>So I shut down my email address and changed it to
>
>derek@water[ANTI_SPAM_REMOVE]werks.com.au.
>
>Swen saw right through this and within 30 minutes this new email address was
>being swamped again.
>
>I then ran some tests and posted with bogus emails to all the groups usually
>take part in. Within 1 hour 3 of the addresses I used had been picked up
>and where being attacked.
>
>So I am now using completely bogus email addresses in news groups. I
>apologies to anyone who wants to email me directly.
>
>As a reminder to anyone who has been swamped with junk emails like more, or
>is just about to post using their real email address - Don't!
>
>cio
>Derek Clarkson

If you _have_ to use a real address which unfortunately is not @despammed.com

you can give your address like my sig ;)

Consider a few changes:
//This software is a shareware ;)
#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>
#define E_BUFFER 80
#define NULL_C '\0'
int main(void)
{
char email[E_BUFFER];
int i;
int newline = '\n';
printf("Enter your email address:\n");
# scanf("%s",email);
if(fgets(email, E_BUFFER, stdin) == NULL_C) {
handle error....
}
/* Remove probably terminating newline. */
if(strchr(email, newline) {
*strchr(email, newline) = NULL_C;
}
printf("Your signature:\n");
printf("-- \n");
printf("main(){char s[");
printf("%d",strlen(email)+1);
printf("]=\"");
for(i=0;i<strlen(email);
putchar(email[i++]+1));
printf("\";");
printf("\nint i;for(i=0;i<");
printf("%d",strlen(email));
printf(";putchar(s[i++]-1));}");
return 0;
}
//pay me if you use it ;)

/V\ Registered Machine 73926.
/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey counter.li.org
^^-^^ 8:05am up 12:50, 3 users, load average: 2.72, 2.33, 2.23

Ruben wrote:

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 01:43:56 -0400, Ravi wrote:

>printf("Enter your email address:\n"); scanf("%s",email);

Ummm - This is trouble
Not according to microshaft, they do it all the time hence all the virus
problems ;)

Re:REMINDER: Do not use your real email adddress

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 04:33:21 GMT, Alan Connor
< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 10:10:12 +1000, Derek Clarkson < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

>Hello everyone,
>For the last 6 months I've been posting using my real work email address. I
>know it leads to spam, but I wasn't worried about a few emails which I just
>autodeleted. I wanted people to be able to contact me if they wanted to.
>
>Up until now I have received about 10-20 spams a day. Last Friday it went
>ballistic. Over 1000 in a single day, every one from the swen virus/worm.
>So I shut down my email address and changed it to
>
>derek@water[ANTI_SPAM_REMOVE]werks.com.au.
>
>Swen saw right through this and within 30 minutes this new email address was
>being swamped again.
>
>I then ran some tests and posted with bogus emails to all the groups usually
>take part in. Within 1 hour 3 of the addresses I used had been picked up
>and where being attacked.
>
>So I am now using completely bogus email addresses in news groups. I
>apologies to anyone who wants to email me directly.
>
>As a reminder to anyone who has been swamped with junk emails like more, or
>is just about to post using their real email address - Don't!
>
>cio
>Derek Clarkson

You can set up a little server to send people your email address if you want.

nc -l -p portnumber < filename

Put your email address in that file and whenever anyone connects to your
IP and that port number they will get the file. As with:

nc -n IP port>filename

For myself, I hit the server every 5 minutes and bring down the headers,
look for my address in the first place of the To: header, and if it isn't
there, delete the mail on the server. I then bring down anything under 20k,
deleting the balance on the server.

If someone wants to send me a larger file, we can use the above approach.
Thanx for the pointer, I'll have to try this...
Cheers