JBX Refactoring is GARBAGE

2003-12-09 03:23:56 AM
jbuilder11
Do I sound upset? That's because I just had to spend 2 hours fixing the mess
done to my source code tree after refactoring with JBX. Now when I use the
refactoring facility to move a class from one package to another I would
expect the following things to happen:
1. physically move the file to the new package path
2. Go through the entire source code, remove old package imports ref,insert
new package import
It seemed to only do step 1, I Had to manually go through 200+ source files
and do step 2
ARRRRRGGGGGGG!

Re:JBX Refactoring is GARBAGE

"BK" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
1. physically move the file to the new package path
2. Go through the entire source code, remove old package imports
ref,insert
new package import

It seemed to only do step 1, I Had to manually go through 200+ source
files
and do step 2
This sounds like you either encountered a bug or you don't have your
project's source path set correctly. It's supposed to do both, and it
does do both when I refactor in my projects.
Is this in JBuilder Personal, Developer, or Enterprise? Does your
project use automatic source package discovery?
--
Gillmer J. Derge (TeamB)

Re:JBX Refactoring is GARBAGE

Agree, I ran into the same problem.  Take a look at:
www.refactorit.com
JBuilder developers needs to take some lessons from these
folks.  ?
I ended up with many errors trying to move a number of
classes to a different packages using JBuilder; whereas
this tool worked perfectly.
It supposebly integrates with JBuilder; unfortunately,
I'm following the instructions and JBuilder X doesn't seem
to pickup the extension added into the lib/ext directory.
Chris
BK wrote:
Do I sound upset? That's because I just had to spend 2 hours fixing the
mess done to my source code tree after refactoring with JBX. Now when I
use the refactoring facility to move a class from one package to another I
would expect the following things to happen:

1. physically move the file to the new package path
2. Go through the entire source code, remove old package imports
ref,insert new package import

It seemed to only do step 1, I Had to manually go through 200+ source
files and do step 2

ARRRRRGGGGGGG!

Re:JBX Refactoring is GARBAGE

While testing the latest RefactorIT with JBuilder X I have found that
JBuilder behaves strangely and restores old file content when class or
member name is changed by third party tool. So, for example, RefactorIT
renames everything what is needed correctly and right away JBX recreates
old data. After that it looks exactly as you described: file is moved,
but data was not changed.
It could be that JBuilder's own refactoring suffers from the same
problem under some conditions.
As for RefactorIT, I guess, this problem is the first thing to be
handled in New 2004 Year :)
Happy New Year!!!
Anton