Re: JBuilder 2005 is dull to JDK1.5 (tiger)!

2004-11-03 02:39:27 AM
jbuilder19
DanDan wrote:
The following are my humble opinions.
But excellent ones..
You have to remember that JDK 1.5 finally made its appearance late in
the JB 2005 release cycle, and Borland has done well to just allow it to
be used at all.
I'm sure these kinds of things can make it into the next release (2006?!
God forbid! Hopefully there's a 2005.2).
But to start with, you should enter these suggestions into Quality Central.

Re:Re: JBuilder 2005 is dull to JDK1.5 (tiger)!

Like I said -- JB12 will be the one to wait
for to get Java 5 support.
Shankar Unni wrote:
DanDan wrote:

>The following are my humble opinions.

But excellent ones..

You have to remember that JDK 1.5 finally made its appearance late in
the JB 2005 release cycle, and Borland has done well to just allow it to
be used at all.

I'm sure these kinds of things can make it into the next release (2006?!
God forbid! Hopefully there's a 2005.2).

But to start with, you should enter these suggestions into Quality Central.

Re:Re: JBuilder 2005 is dull to JDK1.5 (tiger)!

Hey,
I'm now using JB2005 to develop projects under Tiger. but unfortunately,
JBuilder2005 is not as clever as what he announced last month. There are so
many features are not better enough to developer. The following are my
humble opinions.
1. Static import feature.
No settings for static import features. That is, user must manually import
it one by one.
a) No tips for selecting while typing a class with static fields.
E.g., import static com.sino.swing.field.Tester.*;
When I type the Tester class and type a dot, no tips but keep silence. It
seems that he doesn't understand static import at all. Though I did tell him
what I want is import static fields.
b) He is impercipient to the imported static fields.
E.g., import static com.sino.swing.field.Tester.A; If you do this, he
will regard that as superfluous import sentences (Marked it as lightgray).
c) No intelligence while user selecting always import by classes. In nature,
he should not import all static fields but the needed static fields (he just
ingore it and let it be).
2) Annotation feature.
No settings for customizing the format of annotations.
E.g., @SuppressWarnings (value = {"unchecked"})
public void testWildcard(Collection<?>c) {
Why doesn't the 'public' align to left as normal source code? As the same
as to 1 point, he doesn't know annotation well. E.g., if you let the
annotation type as a sole line, you will never format it as normal source
code. However you format it you can not format it as a beautiful style,
except you arrange it manually.
3) Generic feature.
No settings for user while there is some uncheck warnings. It should provide
some options for user so that user can know which assignment will occur
unchecked warnings. That is, user can write annotation (@SuppressWarnings)
to ingore it.
E.g. 1, ArrayList rawList = new ArrayList();
ArrayList<String>stringList = new ArrayList<String>();
rawList = stringList;
stringList = rawList; // unchecked warning, but he doesn't
understand it or he'd like to ingore it.
E.g. 2, Object obj;
List<String>lists = (List<String>) obj; // unchecked warning,
he will ingore it as he never saw it.
4) Enum feature.
No settings for user format it. That is, he can not format it as normal
source code if you make all enum fields in a sole line.
See following:
enum Tester {
B("b"),
A("a"),
C("c");
String DESC;
Tester (String description) {
DESC = description;
}
}
Why does the second field have a superfluous indent? Why cannot I make it
all in a line or sole line?
Is there any plug-ins for fixing those points? Does there anyone have the
same bewilderment?
Forgive me for my poor expression.
Thanks in advance.
Lorry

{smallsort}

Re:Re: JBuilder 2005 is dull to JDK1.5 (tiger)!

Like I said -- JB12 will be the one to wait
for to get Java 5 support.
I see your point and thanks for your time to reply.
But as you know, Borland announced that JBuilder2005 has already supported
Tiger well.
Borland says:
The new version (JBuilder2005) also supports JDK 5.0, J2EE 1.4 and other new
Java technologies.
What does he mean? he want to outjockey us? Or he just makes a puffery?
>You have to remember that JDK 1.5 finally made its appearance late in
>the JB 2005 release cycle, and Borland has done well to just allow it to
>be used at all.
In other words, the language specification (draft) of tiger has been
released for about 2 years. Borland has
enough time to implement an intellectualized IDE for developer. He should
practise what he preaches,
but he didn't. In addition, the release date of tiger and JBuilder2005 is
almost at the same time. But the beta
release early than JBuilder2005 (yum, borland said that he has never thought
about beta version). And borland
still has sufficient time prepare for these new features. Maybe this is not
a good viewpoint. And you will say no one
wants to accept an unstable version. Even though you don't accept beta
version, the IDE has also a lot of bugs.
He should support the new features ahead of others, and then he can bring
down the gallery.
Otherwise, he will lose market.
Best regards,
Dandan

On 11/2/2004 at 1:39:27 PM, Shankar Unni wrote:
You have to remember that JDK 1.5 finally made its appearance late
in the JB 2005 release cycle
Actually, JBuilder 2005 shipped several weeks before JDK 1.5 was released.
It is pretty rare for JBuilder to provide support for a product that is
released after JBuilder.
--
Regards,
John McGrath [TeamB]

On 11/3/2004 at 12:54:17 PM, DanDan wrote:
But as you know, Borland announced that JBuilder2005 has already
supported Tiger well.
Borland says:
The new version (JBuilder2005) also supports JDK 5.0, J2EE 1.4 and other
new Java technologies.
What does he mean? he want to outjockey us? Or he just makes a puffery?
It means that it supports JDK 5.0. You can compile, run and debug JDK 5.0
programs with JBuilder 2005, so I think that is a quite fair statement.
There are certainly some areas where the support needs improvement. But
given the *huge* changes in JDK 5.0, and given that JDK 5.0 was released
after JBuilder 2005, it is not surprising that the support is not perfect.
--
Regards,
John McGrath [TeamB]
Before sending me e-mail, please read:

Re:Re: JBuilder 2005 is dull to JDK1.5 (tiger)!

Actually, JBuilder 2005 shipped several weeks before JDK 1.5 was released.
It is pretty rare for JBuilder to provide support for a product that is
released after JBuilder.
Thanks for your time.
The release date of Tiger is 05/10/2004, and JBuilder2005 was out at middle
of Sep. So I said that it is rarely at the same time. I'm also entirely
aware of the viewpoint you mentioned. And my questions are why we should
release a JB almost a bit before Tiger and why we don't release a JB with
fully support Tiger. I think borland has the capability to accomplish this
only about 2 or 3 weeks.
Lorry

Re:Re: JBuilder 2005 is dull to JDK1.5 (tiger)!

It means that it supports JDK 5.0. You can compile, run and debug JDK 5.0
programs with JBuilder 2005, so I think that is a quite fair statement.

There are certainly some areas where the support needs improvement. But
given the *huge* changes in JDK 5.0, and given that JDK 5.0 was released
after JBuilder 2005, it is not surprising that the support is not perfect.
Thank you very much for your reply.
First of all, none is surpriing of shortcomings of JBuilder. We are all just
a little disappointed of using the JB2005.
According to your viewpoints, JB2005 can only support a few features of
Tiger. So I should not appeal it so high.
Lorry

On 11/5/2004 at 12:16:19 PM, 2008@beijing wrote:
And my questions are why we should release a JB almost a bit before
Tiger and why we don't release a JB with fully support Tiger.
I do not know, since I do not speak for Borland. But I can take an
educated guess. I do not think you will see Borland decide that a
version of JBuilder will be released shortly after Sun releases a
version of Java. Schedules for software delivery often slip -- that
has happened many times with JDK releases. If Borland decided to ship
after Sun ships, that would cause major problems with their cash flow.
I think borland has the capability to accomplish this only about 2
or 3 weeks.
I am not sure how you derived this number, but my guess is that it
would be longer than that.
--
Regards,
John McGrath [TeamB]
Before sending me e-mail, please read:

Re:Re: JBuilder 2005 is dull to JDK1.5 (tiger)!

It means that it supports JDK 5.0. You can compile, run and debug JDK 5.0
programs with JBuilder 2005, so I think that is a quite fair statement.

There are certainly some areas where the support needs improvement. But
given the *huge* changes in JDK 5.0, and given that JDK 5.0 was released
after JBuilder 2005, it is not surprising that the support is not perfect.

--
Regards,

John McGrath [TeamB]

Hi,
We are in the process of upgrading some old JDK 1.1 code. Given the
extensive changes in 5.0, would you recommend that we immediately switch to
5.0 in order to get ahead of the curve, or would it be more prudent to wait
until a version of JBuilder ships with 5.0? (Using JBuilder 2005 Prof)
Thanks,
Richard Ulrich

Richard wrote:
We are in the process of upgrading some old JDK 1.1 code. Given the
extensive changes in 5.0, would you recommend that we immediately switch to
5.0 in order to get ahead of the curve, or would it be more prudent to wait
until a version of JBuilder ships with 5.0? (Using JBuilder 2005 Prof)
Umm, JB2005 *does* support 5.0. It is not built *on* 5.0, but you can
install 5.0 separately and configure a JDK to use it.
JB 2005 may not have added all the possible bells and whistles to
maximize the benefit of the new features in 5.0 (e.g. refactorings that
take advantage of generics, etc.), but as far as *your* use of 5.0
features, that's supported today.
So yeah, if you're still at the prototyping stage, go ahead and try 5.0.
You need not use every new feature right off the bat, but it's worth
exploring how you can take advantage of those features.

On 11/24/2004 at 1:51:27 PM, Richard wrote:
We are in the process of upgrading some old JDK 1.1 code. Given the
extensive changes in 5.0, would you recommend that we immediately switch
to 5.0 in order to get ahead of the curve, or would it be more prudent
to wait until a version of JBuilder ships with 5.0? (Using JBuilder
2005 Prof)
Are you planning to upgrade the code using new features such as generics,
enhanced for loops, etc? If so, then you will definitely need support for
JDK 5 in the IDE. I think JBuilder 2005 is the best way to get that. You
may be able to get by with the OpenTool that has been mentioned on these
newsgroups. But while I have not used that tool, my experience with
similar tools / patches has not been that good.
If you have not decided whether you need JDK 5 features, I would recommend
that you try a "real" program using them. I have found that using these
features greatly improves the character of Java programming, far more than
one would expect from a cursory review of the features.
--
Regards,
John McGrath [TeamB]
Before sending me e-mail, please read:

Re:Re: JBuilder 2005 is dull to JDK1.5 (tiger)!

Are you planning to upgrade the code using new features such as generics,
enhanced for loops, etc?
Not really, although the enhanced loops certainly look like they would make
cleaner code.
If you have not decided whether you need JDK 5 features, I would recommend
that you try a "real" program using them. I have found that using these
features greatly improves the character of Java programming, far more than
one would expect from a cursory review of the features.
That makes sense.
Thanks,
Richard