Strange IDE issue,application closes itself!!

2004-11-04 05:26:28 PM
jbuilder15
Dear All,
I am working on an application in jBuilder X developer edition using JDK
1.5 and using JDK 1.5 compiler (provided by open tool) and encountering a
very irritating problem.
"Whenever I try to open design part to view GUI of a .java file, the
application waits for sometime and then closes it self."
The problem doesn't come in jBuilder Foudataion edition when used JDK 1.4
My system configuraiton in Pentium III, 256 MB ram so i suppose no hardware
problem..
Has anybody encountered similiar problem of closing/hanging of application
while trying to access design part ?
Any ideas ?? Please suggest...
Thanks,
Rohit Dhamija

Re:Strange IDE issue,application closes itself!!

I think JBuilder crashes for some reason in code outside the VM.
Try to start JB in a Shell with starting JBuilder instead of JBuilderW.
Perhaps you will see some output you can report to Qality Central.
good luck
Daniel
"Rohit Dhamija" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Dear All,

I am working on an application in jBuilder X developer edition using JDK
1.5 and using JDK 1.5 compiler (provided by open tool) and encountering a
very irritating problem.

"Whenever I try to open design part to view GUI of a .java file, the
application waits for sometime and then closes it self."

The problem doesn't come in jBuilder Foudataion edition when used JDK 1.4

My system configuraiton in Pentium III, 256 MB ram so i suppose no
hardware
problem..

Has anybody encountered similiar problem of closing/hanging of application
while trying to access design part ?

Any ideas ?? Please suggest...

Thanks,
Rohit Dhamija

Re:Strange IDE issue,application closes itself!!

Rohit,
in order to try to find more about this crash, you can try to run
JBuilder from the command line, using: jbuilder -verbose
as I wrote before though, you'll most likely be better off moving to
JBuilder 2005 for JDK5 support

--
Ludovic
"Les formes qui differencient les etres importent peu

{smallsort}

On 11/4/2004 at 4:26:28 AM, Rohit Dhamija wrote:
I am working on an application in jBuilder X developer edition using
JDK 1.5 and using JDK 1.5 compiler (provided by open tool) and
encountering a very irritating problem.

"Whenever I try to open design part to view GUI of a .java file, the
application waits for sometime and then closes it self."
Does the GUI have a JFormattedTextField? I have heard there is also a
problem with JFormattedTextField in JBuilder 2005's designer. There is
something strange about how the JDK 1.4 JFormattedTextField interacts
with the UI Designer, so it may also occur when using that OpenTool with
JBuilder X.
--
Regards,
John McGrath [TeamB]

Re:Strange IDE issue,application closes itself!!

Hi John,
I have not used JFormattedTextField any where in my application; although
used JTextField a lot. Upon further investigation i found that its the
problem related with the JDK 1.5 package and not with jBuilder.
The jBuilder responds fine when i choose "java version 1.4.2_01-b06 " to
comile my application, but when choosen "java version 1.5.0-b64", jBuilder
behaves imporperly i.e the app closes as soon as we go to "design view"
Currently we have to work on java version 1.5.0-b64 but due to above
problem, we are not able to view the design.
Any ideas ?? Please comment.
Thanks,
Rohit Dhamija

Rohit Dhamija wrote:
Hi John,

I have not used JFormattedTextField any where in my application; although
used JTextField a lot. Upon further investigation i found that its the
problem related with the JDK 1.5 package and not with jBuilder.

The jBuilder responds fine when i choose "java version 1.4.2_01-b06 " to
comile my application, but when choosen "java version 1.5.0-b64", jBuilder
behaves imporperly i.e the app closes as soon as we go to "design view"

Currently we have to work on java version 1.5.0-b64 but due to above
problem, we are not able to view the design.

Any ideas ?? Please comment.

Thanks,
Rohit Dhamija

JBuilder is not fully compatible with JDK 5.0 yet. As is evident from
the fact that it is hosted on JDK 1.4.2.
This problem always arises in these cases... If you want the designer to
work, then JBuilder has to be hosted on the same JDK as your project.
You can do this by messing with the <jbuilder dir>\bin\jdk.config file
settings. But this is completely unsupported, and if you run into
other, different, JBuilder problems when it is running hosted on an
unsupported JDK, then you will be on your own.
--
Regards,
Lori Olson [TeamB]

Re:Strange IDE issue,application closes itself!!

Thanks Mr Olson,
Are you in process of including JDK 1.5 in jBuilder itself or considering it
as an enhancment ? I am asking this since we have to purchase new versions
of jBuilder. If this problem is going to be fixed in new release then we
should wait for some more time to purchase jbuilder with includes jdk1.5
support.
Regards,
Rohit Dhamija

Rohit Dhamija wrote:
Thanks Mr Olson,
Are you in process of including JDK 1.5 in jBuilder itself or considering it
as an enhancment ? I am asking this since we have to purchase new versions
of jBuilder. If this problem is going to be fixed in new release then we
should wait for some more time to purchase jbuilder with includes jdk1.5
support.

Regards,
Rohit Dhamija

Please note that TeamB is NOT comprised of Borland employees. Read this
page for a complete explanation.
www.teamb.com
In my experience, Borland almost never publishes details of new features
in advance of an actual release. Your local Borland sales
representative may or may not share such information.
I know that at least some of the issues involved with hosting JBuilder
on JDK 5.0 are bugs in the JDK, so it would be unlikely that JBuilder
would be upgraded in this regard until after a new bug-fix of JDK 5.0 is
released.
And last, but not least, I'm a Ms. not a Mr.
--
Regards,
Lori Olson [TeamB]
question.
Google Advanced Newsgroup Search
www.google.ca/advanced_group_search
Other Newsgroup Searches:
Joi Ellis's FAQ-O-Matic:

Re:Strange IDE issue,application closes itself!!

Hello John,
Do you have something like hs_err_pid.log file in your \JBuilder2005\bin\
directory?
The known issue with VM crash while designing some JDK 1.5 components will
be addressed in the patch
Also you can try this setup that should let you use 1.5 language features
even if your project JDK is 1.4 and run your application under 1.4 or 1.5:
Under Tools/Configure/ JDKs... set project JDK to 1.4
Under Project Properties/Build/Java set "Language features" to 1.5 and
"Target VM" to 1.4
Rebuild project, switch to design view
Thanks,
Vlad

news:418b0885$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>Rohit Dhamija wrote:
>
>>Hi John,
>>
>>I have not used JFormattedTextField any where in my application;
>>although used JTextField a lot. Upon further investigation i found that
>>its the problem related with the JDK 1.5 package and not with jBuilder.
>>
>>The jBuilder responds fine when i choose "java version 1.4.2_01-b06 "
>>to comile my application, but when choosen "java version 1.5.0-b64",
>>jBuilder behaves imporperly i.e the app closes as soon as we go to
>>"design view"
>>
>>Currently we have to work on java version 1.5.0-b64 but due to above
>>problem, we are not able to view the design.
>>
>>Any ideas ?? Please comment.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Rohit Dhamija
>>

>JBuilder is not fully compatible with JDK 5.0 yet. As is evident from
>the fact that it is hosted on JDK 1.4.2.
>
>This problem always arises in these cases... If you want the designer to
>work, then JBuilder has to be hosted on the same JDK as your project. You
>can do this by messing with the <jbuilder dir>\bin\jdk.config file
>settings. But this is completely unsupported, and if you run into other,
>different, JBuilder problems when it is running hosted on an unsupported
>JDK, then you will be on your own.
>
>--
>
>Regards,
>
>Lori Olson [TeamB]
>
>------------
>
>Save yourself, and everyone else, some time and search the
>newsgroups and the FAQ-O-Matic before posting your next
>question.
>
>Google Advanced Newsgroup Search
>www.google.ca/advanced_group_search
>Other Newsgroup Searches:
>www.borland.com/newsgroups/ngsearch.html
>Joi Ellis's FAQ-O-Matic:
>www.visi.com/~gyles19/fom-serve/cache/1.html

Re:Strange IDE issue,application closes itself!!

I am afraid that my last post is applicable mostly for JB 2005
Free 30 day trial plus non-expiring Foundation
www.borland.com/products/downloads/download_jbuilder.html

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...