The driver: oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver could not be loaded

2003-11-07 03:08:15 AM
jbuilder20
Hi everyone,
I'm veteran VB/Oracle programmer new to Java and JBuilder. I'm doing the
DataModule tutorial trying to connect to an Oracle Database.
After selecting <oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver>from the combobox and
setting the URL and login/password I get the following message.
"The driver: oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver could not be loaded. This
could be a problem with the driver itself, or that the driver is not found
on the classpath."
The Oracle documentation says that the file classes12.zip is for use with
JDK 1.2.X. Could that be the problem? Is JDK 1.4 not compatible with 1.2?
Thanks
Mario

Re:The driver: oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver could not be loaded

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 14:08:15 -0500, "Mario Micheti"
< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
The Oracle documentation says that the file classes12.zip is for use with
JDK 1.2.X. Could that be the problem? Is JDK 1.4 not compatible with 1.2?
No, you need to configure JBuilder and add a JDBC driver to it. There
is a section in the online help that explains this.
- Bring Up online help (Help | Help Topics)
- Click on "Developing Database Applications"
- In the right pane, look for the "Chapter summaries" section. Look
for "Connecting to a database". Half-way down that document is the
section on Adding a JDBC driver to JBuilder.
HTH
Save yourself some time and check these sites:
Borland Newsgroup Search:
Joi Ellis's Faq-O-Matic:

Re:The driver: oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver could not be loaded

Hi David,
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately right now I'm just exploring Java with
the free JBuilder download. I'll just do the tutorials with JDataStore
instead. Thanks anyway.
MM

--
David Orriss Jr. *TeamB*
www.davenet.net/

Mario Micheti wrote:
Hi David,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately right now I'm just exploring Java with
the free JBuilder download. I'll just do the tutorials with JDataStore
instead. Thanks anyway.

MM
I'm in the same pickle. I have the personal edition which I'm using
to evaluate whether to even bother to move on to the Enterprise 30-day
trial but whatever we finally decide to use absolutely must work with
Oracle. The sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver works ok but I'd really like
to get a bit closer to home than that especially since Oracle has many
variations on JDBC driver technology to work with.
Before installing JBuilder9 I had been using the Sun j2sdk1.4.1_02
I could connect using the thin driver or the slightly fatter version
without trouble as long as I had the classes12.zip in my classpath.
But every time I try to make a Database in the designer and select
oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver from the dropdown list, it fails
with a message suggesting it can't find the Oracle driver.
Since the info on adding database drivers doesn't cover the Personal
edition, I tried building a library using the classes12.zip. The
process went well, but the test still fails.
Finally, I went to the jdk.config and added
addpath /ora81/jdbc/lib/classes12.zip
to it and now it finds the driver.
"David Orriss, Jr." < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 14:08:15 -0500, "Mario Micheti"
>< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>

>>The Oracle documentation says that the file classes12.zip is for use with
>>JDK 1.2.X. Could that be the problem? Is JDK 1.4 not compatible with

1.2?

>No, you need to configure JBuilder and add a JDBC driver to it. There
>is a section in the online help that explains this.
>
>- Bring Up online help (Help | Help Topics)
>- Click on "Developing Database Applications"
>- In the right pane, look for the "Chapter summaries" section. Look
>for "Connecting to a database". Half-way down that document is the
>section on Adding a JDBC driver to JBuilder.
>
>HTH
>

>--
>David Orriss Jr. *TeamB*
>www.davenet.net/
>* Please limit all responses to the newsgroups. Thanks! *
>Got a JBuilder website? Join the JBuilder Netring! Check out
>www.davenet.net/jbwebring/jbwebring.htm for more information!
>
>Save yourself some time and check these sites:
>
>Borland Newsgroup Search:
>www.borland.com/newsgroups/ngsearch.html
>Joi Ellis's Faq-O-Matic:
>www.visi.com/~gyles19/fom-serve/cache/1.html

Re:The driver: oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver could not be loaded

I have quite a similar problem, inserting the line in in the jdk.config file
resolved the first error, now the driver is found, however, when trying to
connect I get another erro now about exceptions. I use JBuilder9 Personal
and Oracle9i.
Regards,
Jean-Gabriel Duquesnoy

Jean-Gabriel Duquesnoy wrote:
I have quite a similar problem, inserting the line in in the jdk.config
file resolved the first error, now the driver is found, however, when
trying to connect I get another erro now about exceptions. I use JBuilder9
Personal and Oracle9i.

Have you copied the classes*.jar/zip files into the /jbuilder/lib/ext folder
and created a library from the Tools->Configure Libraries Menu Option?

Re:The driver: oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver could not be loaded

I have already tried this way, and also include the libraries in my project,
but it did not help. I tried also to add the path to my classes in the
.config
files, but still no success. I have tried every hint I could find in this
newsgroups
and on the internet, but it does not seem to be working for me.
"pNichols" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Jean-Gabriel Duquesnoy wrote:

>I have quite a similar problem, inserting the line in in the jdk.config
>file resolved the first error, now the driver is found, however, when
>trying to connect I get another erro now about exceptions. I use
JBuilder9
>Personal and Oracle9i.

Have you copied the classes*.jar/zip files into the /jbuilder/lib/ext
folder
and created a library from the Tools->Configure Libraries Menu Option?

Re:The driver: oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver could not be loaded

Jean-Gabriel Duquesnoy wrote:
I have already tried this way, and also include the libraries in my
project, but it did not help. I tried also to add the path to my classes
in the .config
files, but still no success. I have tried every hint I could find in this
newsgroups
and on the internet, but it does not seem to be working for me.

Strange, I have no problems using Oracle thin drivers for 8i nor 9i.

Re:The driver: oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver could not be loaded

You write that you do not have any problems using Oracle thin drivers
for 9i. Could you please send me some information about which *.jar
or *.zip file you defined in which .config file or whatever you configured
so that I have an example that works.
It is probably better than reinventing the whole thing.
Thanks in advance.
Jean-Gabriel Duquesnoy
"pNichols" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Jean-Gabriel Duquesnoy wrote:

>I have already tried this way, and also include the libraries in my
>project, but it did not help. I tried also to add the path to my classes
>in the .config
>files, but still no success. I have tried every hint I could find in
this
>newsgroups
>and on the internet, but it does not seem to be working for me.

Strange, I have no problems using Oracle thin drivers for 8i nor 9i.

Re:The driver: oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver could not be loaded

Jean-Gabriel Duquesnoy wrote:
I have quite a similar problem, inserting the line in in the jdk.config file
resolved the first error, now the driver is found, however, when trying to
connect I get another erro now about exceptions. I use JBuilder9 Personal
and Oracle9i.
I'm not entirely sure about this, but putting
the addpath in the jdk.config file is a bit
odd and possibly wrong. The correct place to
add the addpath <path to your driver>line
is in the jbuilder.config file.
Do a search at www.tamaracka.com on
^jbuilder addpath config
(the circumflex is important).
--
Paul Furbacher (TeamB)
Save time, search the archives:

"Jean-Gabriel Duquesnoy" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
You write that you do not have any problems using Oracle thin drivers
for 9i. Could you please send me some information about which *.jar
or *.zip file you defined in which .config file or whatever you configured
so that I have an example that works.
It is probably better than reinventing the whole thing.
I'm using classes12.zip and its working fine as long as its only the thin
drivers I try to use.
OCI?? Forget it! I've never come CLOSE to getting it to work.
Mike

Re:The driver: oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver could not be loaded

Jean-Gabriel Duquesnoy wrote:
You write that you do not have any problems using Oracle thin drivers
for 9i. Could you please send me some information about which *.jar
or *.zip file you defined in which .config file or whatever you configured
so that I have an example that works.
It is probably better than reinventing the whole thing.

I jsut noticed you are using 1.4. I have not tried the newer 1.4 JDBC
drivers for Oracle, so that could be the difference.