JDK 1.4.2 and JBuilder 9: cannot compile

2004-02-09 04:32:09 PM
jbuilder18
I have tried every suggestion in this group to get JBuilder to work (compile that is) under 1.4.2, but without luck.
It launches, but no prjects can compile.
I even tried to remove the .JBuilder9 dir to sort of start over.
It seems that it does not matter which JDK i choose under "Configure JDK" i JBuilder.
It still cannot find "java.lang".
I also tried some other JBuilder startup-scripts, reffered to in this group.
The only thing that worked for me, was to copy back 1.4.1 (from another Mac),
and modify the JBuilder startup script to use 1.4.1, rather than the now default 1.4.2.
Now that the JBuilder App. i launched under 1.4.1 i have no problem with selecting 1.4.2 as JDK when I compile.
Still, I would like to run Jbuilder under 1.4.2, so if this information triggers somebody to understand, why I have these problems, I would be gratefull!
Thanx,
Jacob Schultz

Re:JDK 1.4.2 and JBuilder 9: cannot compile

Jacob Schultz wrote:
I have tried every suggestion in this group to get JBuilder to work (compile that is) under 1.4.2, but without luck.
It launches, but no prjects can compile.
I even tried to remove the .JBuilder9 dir to sort of start over.

It seems that it does not matter which JDK i choose under "Configure JDK" i JBuilder.
It still cannot find "java.lang".
From this, I'm guessing that you tried all of the
suggestions made by Jon Wynacht regarding creating
a new JDK, and deleting the old one which referred
to JDK 1.4.1 in Tools>Configure JDKs... Is this
true, or is possible you didn't delete the one
for JDK 1.4.1? You also have to make sure the
Project Properties>Paths: JDK setting reflects
the changes.
Still, I would like to run Jbuilder under 1.4.2, ....
One possibility might be to first make sure that
your 1.4.2 installation is correct (not sure how
you would do this other than try running some
other Java apps on it), and then re-install
JBuilder 9. Prior to doing that, I would go
into my Home folder's .jbuilderX folder, and
either delete or move to some temporary folder,
any JDK library file. For example, the only
one in my .jbuilderX folder is named
java version 1.4.1_01-69.1.library
You may have a number of different such java version
.library files which should at least be moved to some
temporary folder prior to reinstallation.
It's probably _not_ a good idea to blow away the
entire .jbuilderX folder, though. So, be conservative
in your approach.
--
Paul Furbacher (TeamB)
Save time, search the archives:

Re:JDK 1.4.2 and JBuilder 9: cannot compile

Paul Furbacher < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
From this, I'm guessing that you tried all of the
suggestions made by Jon Wynacht regarding creating
a new JDK, and deleting the old one which referred
to JDK 1.4.1 in Tools>Configure JDKs... Is this
true, or is possible you didn't delete the one
for JDK 1.4.1? You also have to make sure the
Project Properties>Paths: JDK setting reflects
the changes.

I tried deleting all old JDK refs. quit JB. When I restart JB, it has automatically made one new JDK ref, I guess to the default JDK, which is 1.4.2 (it states this - it seems that 1.4.2 i recognized fine, since it names it nicely).
I have tried all combos of deleting JDK refs, making new ones, restarting JB, going to my project files and referring to those JDKs.
I closed all open project files (usually have 5-10 projects open).
I removed JBs hidden folder in my home dir (.JBuilder9).
I launched JB with a script found in this group, instead of my own, to make sure that I at least lauch Jb the same way as some that has JB working with 1.4.2.

>Still, I would like to run Jbuilder under 1.4.2, ....

One possibility might be to first make sure that
your 1.4.2 installation is correct (not sure how
you would do this other than try running some
other Java apps on it), and then re-install
JBuilder 9. Prior to doing that, I would go
into my Home folder's .jbuilderX folder, and
either delete or move to some temporary folder,
any JDK library file. For example, the only
one in my .jbuilderX folder is named

java version 1.4.1_01-69.1.library

I tried Netbeans, and it runs flawlessly on 1.4.2, so I guess my 1.4.2 is ok.
JBuilder runs on 1.4.2 and seems to do so just fine, except from the fact that
nothing can compile! It says 1.4.2 in the about box.
The only thing I did not do, is to reinstall JBuilder, but why should this help?
Hmm, might be worth the try, even though I have used several days on this now.
Thanks anyway for you feedback!!
You may have a number of different such java version
.library files which should at least be moved to some
temporary folder prior to reinstallation.

It's probably _not_ a good idea to blow away the
entire .jbuilderX folder, though. So, be conservative
in your approach.

--

Paul Furbacher (TeamB)

Save time, search the archives:

Is it in Joi Ellis's Faq-O-Matic?

Thank you.

{smallsort}

Re:JDK 1.4.2 and JBuilder 9: cannot compile

Jacob Schultz wrote:
[...]
The only thing I did not do, is to reinstall JBuilder, but why should this help?
Hmm, might be worth the try, even though I have used several days on this now.
It looks like you've tried just about everything
I would have tried.
Can you paste the XML contents of the "java version ... .library"
file into a reply message. Maybe there is something which isn't
being picked up when the library is being made. (Please,
paste the contents; don't attach the file -- it will just
get stripped from the message.)
I don't have Panther installed on my machines, so I cannot
upgrade to 1.4.2. But others reading this list have obviously
upgraded and are working with JBuilder 9 and X under those
conditions. Perhaps they'll spot something when they compare
the contents of your library to theirs.
As for re-installing JBuilder 9, I can only say that
I had this same problem (Error #750: cannot find java.lang.Object)
with one installation of JBuilder 8. The only way I remedied
the situation was to un-install and then re-install it.
Yes, close to voodoo, but sometimes, if it works, I don't
ask any more questions.
--
Paul Furbacher (TeamB)
Save time, search the archives:
Is it in Joi Ellis's Faq-O-Matic?
Thank you.

Re:JDK 1.4.2 and JBuilder 9: cannot compile

Paul Furbacher < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
It looks like you've tried just about everything
I would have tried.

I have now tried the following:
Removed the JBuilder9 installation dir.
Removed the .jbuilder9 dir in home.
The only thing left, as far as I know, is the hidden .borland directory
which contains my license, which I of course would like to keep.
The installation went flawlessly. Jbuilder laucnhes and have made a JDK 1.4.2 lib, runs under 1.4.2 AND gives me the usual error:-(
Can you paste the XML contents of the "java version ... .library"
file into a reply message. Maybe there is something which isn't
being picked up when the library is being made. (Please,
paste the contents; don't attach the file -- it will just
get stripped from the message.)

The newly made lib by JBuilder looks like this:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<library>
<!--JBuilder JDK Definition File-->
<fullname>java version 1.4.2_03-117.1</fullname>
<homepath>../../../System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Home</homepath>
<debug/>
<class>
<path>[../../../System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Classes/charsets.jar]</path>
<path>[../../../System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Classes/classes.jar]</path>
<path>[../../../System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Classes/dt.jar]</path>
<path>[../../../System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Classes/jce.jar]</path>
<path>[../../../System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Classes/jsse.jar]</path>
<path>[../../../System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Classes/laf.jar]</path>
<path>[../../../System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Classes/sunrsasign.jar]</path>
<path>[../../../System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Classes/ui.jar]</path>
<path>[../../../System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Home/lib/dt.jar]</path>
<path>[../../../System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Home/lib/ext/apple_provider.jar]</path>
<path>[../../../System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Home/lib/ext/ldapsec.jar]</path>
<path>[../../../System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Home/lib/ext/localedata.jar]</path>
<path>[../../../System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Home/lib/ext/sunjce_provider.jar]</path>
<path>[../../../System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Home/lib/im/indicim.jar]</path>
<path>[../../../System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Home/lib/im/thaiim.jar]</path>
<path>[../../../System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Home/lib/jaws.jar]</path>
<path>[../../../System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Home/lib/jce.jar]</path>
<path>[../../../System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Home/lib/netscape.jar]</path>
</class>
<documentation>
<path>[../../../Developer/Applications/JBuilder9/JBuilder.framework/doc/jdk_docs.jar]/java/api</path>
</documentation>
<lastmodsaved>1076413171353</lastmodsaved>
</library>
I don't have Panther installed on my machines, so I cannot
upgrade to 1.4.2. But others reading this list have obviously
upgraded and are working with JBuilder 9 and X under those
conditions. Perhaps they'll spot something when they compare
the contents of your library to theirs.

As for re-installing JBuilder 9, I can only say that
I had this same problem (Error #750: cannot find java.lang.Object)
with one installation of JBuilder 8. The only way I remedied
the situation was to un-install and then re-install it.
Yes, close to voodoo, but sometimes, if it works, I don't
ask any more questions.

I did not make an uninstall, so I might have forgotten some files besides the .borland dir.
It is hard to know where to look - everything is kind of a guess:-)