Jbuilder 9 Enterprise: newbie question - button resize

2003-11-23 07:34:00 PM
jbuilder6
Hello,
I'm absolute newbie to JBuilder and I'm coming from Delphi.
After an hour of wondering where is the property size, I at last found it
with right click on the properties tab and select Hide. I think it is not
good idea to hide some properties by default or to hide properties at all. I
can't understand why is this nessary?
But when I changed the size (typed something in the box) the program didn't
remember it and returned the old value ?!
This is not problem to do in Delphi. When you type a size in the property
box the button is automatically resized.
So how to do such a thing ?
The second question is how to resize the contentPane. It does not have size
property at all. I can set the size in the source code, but this is not
enough ?
I hope that someone can spend a little time and answer my questions.
Thanks in advance
Alexander Tsonev,
student
Technical University - Sofia, Bulgaria

Re:Jbuilder 9 Enterprise: newbie question - button resize

Alexander Tsonev wrote:
Try here:
www.computer-logic.net/javadelphi/

Re:Jbuilder 9 Enterprise: newbie question - button resize

"Gillmer J. Derge \(TeamB\)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
"Alexander Tsonev" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>The problem is the visual interface of JBuilder 9. Please reread what
>have wrote.

Please reread what Paul wrote on his site. His site is specifically
dedicated to Java for Delphi programmers. It talks about the
differences between the two languages, including why you don't normally
set a component's size. All of your questions are covered in detail on
his site.

And to be more specific: Setting the dimensions of a Component to be some
fixed pair of values is generally not considered to be a good Java GUI
development practice. Although that's not a hard and fast rule, because
not all Components and/or their Window parents may be resizable, when the
Component *is* part of a resizable Window, the fixed dimensions may very
well not be the appropriate size after resizing.
Instead, Java GUI programmers are encouraged to base Component sizing and
layout on Containers' "LayoutManagers" (see "Container#setLayout").
Layouts, in combination with each Component's "minimumSize",
"preferredSize" and "maximumSize", can be configured to resize and layout
all Components in a Window upon resizing (or other changes, such as dynamic
addition or removal of Components).
Now, IF you're creating a fixed-size and fixed-layout Window, then --
granted -- setting each Component's location and dimensions is easiest, and
sufficient. But in the general case where Windows can be resized,
experience says you'd simplify your programming effort by taking advantage
of LayoutManagers and the three "*Size" properties mentioned above...
Hope this helps,
Rich Wagner

{smallsort}

Re:Jbuilder 9 Enterprise: newbie question - button resize

Thank you for trying to help me, but
I think you didn't understand me. I'm not looking about java teach book. I
altready have two, and I know some c++ so the source and idea of java are
not the problem.
The problem is the visual interface of JBuilder 9. Please reread what I
have wrote.
Alexander Tsonev

--
Gillmer J. Derge (TeamB)

Re:Jbuilder 9 Enterprise: newbie question - button resize

Thank you all for the answers!
Alexander Tsonev