JBuilder 2005 or JBuilder X ?

2005-06-10 01:10:58 AM
jbuilder8
What is the diference between 2005 and X versions of the product?
is there a matrix with comparison of their features?
thanks

Re:JBuilder 2005 or JBuilder X ?

"Dimitris (GIS)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
What is the diference between 2005 and X versions of the product?
is there a matrix with comparison of their features?
thanks

www.borland.com/jbuilder

Re:JBuilder 2005 or JBuilder X ?

Unless you absolutely need the features of 2005 such as j2se 1.5, I would stay away from it. The only reason I say this is that the interface is so slow as to be almost unusable at times and generally frustrating all of the time. Borland needs to do some serious addressing of the UIs usability and speed.
ciao
"Dimitris \(GIS\)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
What is the diference between 2005 and X versions of the product?
is there a matrix with comparison of their features?
thanks

{smallsort}

Derek Clarkson wrote:
Unless you absolutely need the features of 2005 such as j2se 1.5,
I would stay away from it. The only reason I say this is that the
interface is so slow as to be almost unusable at times and generally
frustrating all of the time.
That's a wild, way-over-the-top exaggeration.
For most *normal* operations, JB2005 is as about fast as JBX (no
perceptible difference in speed). I have heard of *certain operations*
(I believe JSP editing in Dev/Ent falls into this category) where the
default settings result in very slow performance, but these can be tweaked.
From the point of view of having an up-to-date, feature-rich IDE, you
definitely want JB2005 over JBX.

Re:JBuilder 2005 or JBuilder X ?

I would agree with Derek,
JB 2005 is causing us significant problems regarding it's speed and GUI
designer. We have 10 Enterprise licenses and wish we could go back to
JBuilder X. We just pray that Borland at least test the next version so
that what they release first it as least useable unlike their first release
of 2005.
We wait more in hope than expectation for 2006 as the patches for 2005 now
seen to have dried up.
"Shankar Unni" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Derek Clarkson wrote:
>Unless you absolutely need the features of 2005 such as j2se 1.5,
>I would stay away from it. The only reason I say this is that the
>interface is so slow as to be almost unusable at times and generally
>frustrating all of the time.

That's a wild, way-over-the-top exaggeration.

For most *normal* operations, JB2005 is as about fast as JBX (no
perceptible difference in speed). I have heard of *certain operations* (I
believe JSP editing in Dev/Ent falls into this category) where the default
settings result in very slow performance, but these can be tweaked.

From the point of view of having an up-to-date, feature-rich IDE, you
definitely want JB2005 over JBX.

Re:JBuilder 2005 or JBuilder X ?

JB2005 is absolutely unusable for Swing development with Borland
ignoring showstopper bugs for a very long time. So, for Swing
development your choice should be clear -- JBX.
I have not felt any degradation in general IDE speed during my evaluation.
We decided not to upgrade to JB2005 and honestly I am more fearful
of the next version than I am hopeful :-) It seems that Swing developers
are a tiny fraction of Borland's user base which in turn defines the
priority
of bugfixes and features.
Tony.