any way to turn off the double view of java/jsp files?

2004-03-02 03:23:41 AM
jbuilder18
I'm going through a Learn Java with JBuilder6 book by John Zukowski (I know
it's old, but the stuff is still good :>), and I have a question about the
tree structure of code. How can I turn off the double view of the code? I
currently see a <Project Source>node as well as a com.pch.tester node and
they basically have the exact samething in there. Is there a reason I would
want both views? How can I turn the <Project Source>off?
Thanks.

Re:any way to turn off the double view of java/jsp files?

Flip wrote:
Is there a reason I would
want both views? How can I turn the <Project Source>off?
You can't turn it off. I've seen two reasons suggested as to why you
might want both.
First, novice Java programmers who don't put their classes in a package
need the "<Project Source>" node to display their classes. This is a
stupid reason. If there is an existing class in an unnamed package,
then the node could be displayed for the novice programmer. If not, it
could be disabled.
Second, it's there as a place to hang menu items like New Package,
package filtering, etc. Although I can't recall the specific examples,
I believe there are filters that you can't create without that node.
This is a much better reason than the first. Still, I wouldn't mind if
there was a way to disable the node.
--
Gillmer J. Derge (TeamB)

Re:any way to turn off the double view of java/jsp files?

Thanks for the quick response.
You can't turn it off. I've seen two reasons suggested as to why you
might want both.
And for the reasons too, not just the "no you can't" answer. ;>
First, novice Java programmers who don't put their classes in a package
need the "<Project Source>" node to display their classes. This is a
stupid reason. If there is an existing class in an unnamed package,
And your candor. :>
Ok, so I'm not out to lunch then when I see it there and I can't find a way
to turn it off, cause there isn't one! :>Thanks.
Do you know how to disable/enable the double viewing of the WEB-INF
deployment descriptors in a web project? I believe there is a way, but I
can't remember it for the life of me! :< Thanks.

{smallsort}

"Gillmer J. Derge (TeamB)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
If there is an existing class in an unnamed package,
then the node could be displayed for the novice programmer. If not, it
could be disabled.
And that was how it worked until JBuilder 6 or 7 - the node went away
if you had no content (like properties files) in the default package.

Re:any way to turn off the double view of java/jsp files?

And that was how it worked until JBuilder 6 or 7 - the node went away
if you had no content (like properties files) in the default package.
Interesting, JB used to do it the way developers expected it. Maybe in a
future version?

Flip wrote:
Interesting, JB used to do it the way developers expected it. Maybe in a
future version?
As far as I know the change occurred whenever package filters were added
as a feature. Like I said, I'm pretty sure there's some combination of
filters that I can't remember but that can only be done using that
"<Package Source>" node.
--
Gillmer J. Derge (TeamB)