How to configure a remote server?

2004-08-19 06:19:53 PM
jbuilder14
Dear all,
How can I use JBuilder to develop a web application on a 3-tier
installation? By this I mean I have setup a WebSphere, configured it with a
data source to another MS SQL server. The Tools|Configure Servers... option
seems to allow only debugging the application locally as the server settings
are at the local machine. Give me a hand please.
Thanks in advance,
Patrick

Re:How to configure a remote server?

At the highest level, the recommended steps are as follows:
1. Configure the server as if you were to run everything locally (so that
JBuilder builds the application correctly).
2. Enable remote debugging on the remote server.
3. Create a server runtime configuration in JBuilder and enable remote
debugging with the "Attach" option.
4. Create an ANT script that deploys the application to the remote server.
5. Make the project.
6. Run the ANT script to deploy the application.
7. Select "Debug" to attach to the remote server.
8. Find and fix bugs.
--
Check out our latest white papers at
BladeNET Scores With Borland Enterprise Tools

"Kevin Dean" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
At the highest level, the recommended steps are as follows:

1. Configure the server as if you were to run everything locally (so that
JBuilder builds the application correctly).
2. Enable remote debugging on the remote server.
3. Create a server runtime configuration in JBuilder and enable remote
debugging with the "Attach" option.
4. Create an ANT script that deploys the application to the remote server.
5. Make the project.
6. Run the ANT script to deploy the application.
7. Select "Debug" to attach to the remote server.
8. Find and fix bugs.

I followed your advice in configuring a local WebSphere installation for
debugging. However I am quite confused by the directory structure and want
more kind advices.
1. The WebModule created for test is named WebModuleTest. However when I
browse the physical directories there is only a subdirectory WebModule in
the project tree. I right click the WebModuleTest node (in JBuilder Project
pane) for properties and can see the context root of Web is also set as
WebModuleTest. However, the Directory setting in Module (WebModule
properties) is {PRJ_TREE}/WebModule
2. Here comes the real problem. When I attempt to Web Debug a JSP, JBuilder
always states in Web View tab that:
Help viewer error URL: Unable to open location: Document not found on server
The JSP is located (physically) in a subdirectory "abc" under WebModule.
The URL listed is:
http://localhost:9080/WebModule/abc/userlogin.jsp
What should the correct directory structure be? And how can I verify the
setting outside JBuilder? For instance, I tried typing the URL in a browser
but it also failed to display the page.
Many thanks,
Patrick

{smallsort}

Re:How to configure a remote server?

"Patrick Wong" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

I tried again from scratch using the very simple sample JSP in JBuilder's
online help. The JSP could be Web Run successfully under Tomcat. However,
when I changed the server to WebSphere, the problem emerged. That is:
Help viewer error URL: Unable to open location: Document not found on server
Seems the directory setting requires some modifications when App Server is
changed.
Can anyone kindly help?
TIA,
Patrick

Re:How to configure a remote server?

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with WebSphere so can't offer any more help.
--

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>At the highest level, the recommended steps are as follows:
>
>1. Configure the server as if you were to run everything locally (so
that
>JBuilder builds the application correctly).
>2. Enable remote debugging on the remote server.
>3. Create a server runtime configuration in JBuilder and enable remote
>debugging with the "Attach" option.
>4. Create an ANT script that deploys the application to the remote
server.
>5. Make the project.
>6. Run the ANT script to deploy the application.
>7. Select "Debug" to attach to the remote server.
>8. Find and fix bugs.

I followed your advice in configuring a local WebSphere installation for
debugging. However I am quite confused by the directory structure and
want
more kind advices.

1. The WebModule created for test is named WebModuleTest. However when I
browse the physical directories there is only a subdirectory WebModule in
the project tree. I right click the WebModuleTest node (in JBuilder
Project
pane) for properties and can see the context root of Web is also set as
WebModuleTest. However, the Directory setting in Module (WebModule
properties) is {PRJ_TREE}/WebModule

2. Here comes the real problem. When I attempt to Web Debug a JSP,
JBuilder
always states in Web View tab that:

Help viewer error URL: Unable to open location: Document not found on
server

The JSP is located (physically) in a subdirectory "abc" under WebModule.
The URL listed is:

http://localhost:9080/WebModule/abc/userlogin.jsp

What should the correct directory structure be? And how can I verify the
setting outside JBuilder? For instance, I tried typing the URL in a
browser
but it also failed to display the page.

Many thanks,
Patrick

Re:How to configure a remote server?

Hi Patrick.
A JBuilder project's JSP/Servlet service is configured by default for
the local machine. If you're deploying to a remote server, you should
edit your server run configuration in Jbuilder and set host name and
port number (for the JSP/Servlet service) to match the remote server (If
you open the run configuration, and select the JSP/Servlet service in
the Services sub tree on the left hand side, you will see a property
page on the right hand side that will allow you to make these changes).
Hope this helps
-Helen