SQL Builder in JBuilder 2005 Dev?

2004-10-19 05:28:28 PM
jbuilder12
The documentation states that the SQL Builder is available in Enterprise and
Developer SKU's, nonetheless, mine is grayed out and I do have a developer
edition.

Re:SQL Builder in JBuilder 2005 Dev?

"Jennifer Ashley Kuiper" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >schreef in bericht
The documentation states that the SQL Builder is available in Enterprise
and
Developer SKU's, nonetheless, mine is grayed out and I do have a developer
edition.

Could anyone from Borland please find the time to answer the above question?
This one is really very important to me.
Thanks,
Jenn

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>The documentation states that the SQL Builder is available in Enterprise

and

>Developer SKU's, nonetheless, mine is grayed out and I do have a developer
>edition.

Could anyone from Borland please find the time to answer the above question?
This one is really very important to me.
Hmmm, we aren't even awake over here on the east coast,
and the "Borland people" should be in the middle of their
rest.
The docs do say that it is a feature of both
Dev and Ent. They also say that the button
will be grayed out unless you have made a
database connection. Have you done that?
Try a few things:
1. Open the samples/DataExpress/BasicApp project.
That should automatically connect when you go to
the Designer. See the method "getJDataStoreURL()".
2. Use DBPilot to connect to the employee.jds database
in the samples/JDataStore/datastores folder. User name
"Sample", empty password.
--
Paul Furbacher (TeamB)
Save time, search the archives:

{smallsort}

Re:SQL Builder in JBuilder 2005 Dev?

Hmmm, we aren't even awake over here on the east coast,
and the "Borland people" should be in the middle of their
rest.

The docs do say that it is a feature of both
Dev and Ent. They also say that the button
will be grayed out unless you have made a
database connection. Have you done that?

Try a few things:

1. Open the samples/DataExpress/BasicApp project.
That should automatically connect when you go to
the Designer. See the method "getJDataStoreURL()".

2. Use DBPilot to connect to the employee.jds database
in the samples/JDataStore/datastores folder. User name
"Sample", empty password.

Hi Paul, thanks for responding. I wrote my message a bit preemptively,
anticipating on the very few peeps responding to my questions in general.
(no pun intended)
Alas, nothing seems to help. Even when I have a valid database connection,
my SQL Builder button stays grayed. Another funny thing is that I seem to
have an unlicensed copy of JDataStore, whereas the little leaflet in the box
days that after installing JBuilder, JDataStore is automatically installed
for development use. I tried my per seat license of JDataStore 6, but... you
guessed it, nope!
Hope you have an answer to all this.
Thanks,
Jenn

Re:SQL Builder in JBuilder 2005 Dev?

Jennifer Ashley Kuiper wrote:
>Hmmm, we aren't even awake over here on the east coast,
>and the "Borland people" should be in the middle of their
>rest.
>
>The docs do say that it is a feature of both
>Dev and Ent. They also say that the button
>will be grayed out unless you have made a
>database connection. Have you done that?
>
>Try a few things:
>
>1. Open the samples/DataExpress/BasicApp project.
>That should automatically connect when you go to
>the Designer. See the method "getJDataStoreURL()".
>
>2. Use DBPilot to connect to the employee.jds database
>in the samples/JDataStore/datastores folder. User name
>"Sample", empty password.
Alas, nothing seems to help.
Neither #1 nor #2 above works? Or they work,
but when you plug in the correct Url into
*your* particular DataExpress Database object --
you know the Url to be correct because you plugged
it into #1 and #2 above and it worked (?) -- and
that doesn't enable the SQL Builder button.
It's enabled when I use the Designer in #1 above.
Even when I have a valid database connection,
my SQL Builder button stays grayed.
How do you know that it is valid? It works in
DB Pilot?
Another funny thing is that I seem to
have an unlicensed copy of JDataStore, whereas the little leaflet in the box
days that after installing JBuilder, JDataStore is automatically installed
for development use. I tried my per seat license of JDataStore 6, but... you
guessed it, nope!
If you think it is a clash between JDataStore 6
and the version installed with JB 2005, perhaps
you should describe the situation in the jdatastore
newsgroup. Someone there may be able to point out
ways to resolve such a conflict, if it indeed exists.
--
Paul Furbacher (TeamB)
Save time, search the archives:
Is it in Joi Ellis's Faq-O-Matic?
Thank you.

Re:SQL Builder in JBuilder 2005 Dev?

Neither #1 nor #2 above works? Or they work,
but when you plug in the correct Url into
*your* particular DataExpress Database object --
you know the Url to be correct because you plugged
it into #1 and #2 above and it worked (?) -- and
that doesn't enable the SQL Builder button.

Nah, nothing works. I know that it should, because it works in JBX and
before.
It's enabled when I use the Designer in #1 above.

Really?? Developer edition??
>Even when I have a valid database connection,
>my SQL Builder button stays grayed.

How do you know that it is valid? It works in
DB Pilot?
Yup, and in previous versions of JB

>Another funny thing is that I seem to
>have an unlicensed copy of JDataStore, whereas the little leaflet in the
box
>days that after installing JBuilder, JDataStore is automatically
installed
>for development use. I tried my per seat license of JDataStore 6, but...
you
>guessed it, nope!

If you think it is a clash between JDataStore 6
and the version installed with JB 2005, perhaps
you should describe the situation in the jdatastore
newsgroup. Someone there may be able to point out
ways to resolve such a conflict, if it indeed exists.

Well, I don't *think* it is a clash between the two, it's just a suggestion.

Re:SQL Builder in JBuilder 2005 Dev?

>>2. Use DBPilot to connect to the employee.jds database
>>in the samples/JDataStore/datastores folder. User name
>>"Sample", empty password.

Paul, I have been able to resolve the JDataStore 7 issue now. (through
bdn.borland.com/article/0,1410,32450,00.html) However, I now
definitely have to conclude that the SQL Builder button is grayed out and
NOT available in the Developer edition, in spite of the documentation. I
consider this a serious matter and I somewhat feel "being had" as well: I
didn't get what I paid for. What should I do now?
Thanks,
Jenn

Re:SQL Builder in JBuilder 2005 Dev?

Jennifer Ashley Kuiper wrote:
bdn.borland.com/article/0,1410,32450,00.html) However, I now
definitely have to conclude that the SQL Builder button is grayed out and
NOT available in the Developer edition, in spite of the documentation.
Yes, you're right. I just checked it myself. I opened one of the
samples in Enterprise and confirmed that the "SQL Builder" was working.
Then I reopened it in Developer and it is disabled.
consider this a serious matter and I somewhat feel "being had" as well: I
didn't get what I paid for. What should I do now?
Unfortunately it's not the first time something like this has happened,
and I doubt it will be the last. My suggestion would be to create a QC
report and/or call Borland Customer Service.
www.borland.com/company/contact/index.html
My recollection is that the other times this has happened, they've
sometimes dealt with it in a patch and other times have basically said,
"Sorry we screwed up." It probably depends on what the original intent
was and what value they assign to the feature. But definitely put it in
QC. If they don't know about the problem, we can be fairly certain they
won't create a patch to fix it.
--
Gillmer J. Derge [TeamB]