Is it possible to use Eclipse SWT in JB?

2004-11-23 07:33:26 PM
jbuilder24
I just came to know SWT (www.eclipse.org/swt). It seems it is
much better than the swing toolkit. I want to use it in JB. Does anyone
know how to do this? Or has anyone have done it?

Re:Is it possible to use Eclipse SWT in JB?

If you don't need visual desinger there shloud be no problem but in this
case you are limited to use only code editor to create your GUI.
There is no GUI desinger for SWT in JBuilder
Doychin

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>I just came to know SWT (www.eclipse.org/swt). It seems it is much
>better than the swing toolkit. I want to use it in JB. Does anyone know how
>to do this? Or has anyone have done it?

Thanks. I really have no idea about the plugin thing. So JB and Eclipse
don't agree with each other on plugin protocol?

{smallsort}

Edward Yang wrote:

Thanks. I really have no idea about the plugin thing. So JB and Eclipse
don't agree with each other on plugin protocol?
Ha. JBuilder has had the "opentool" protocol for years before Eclipse
even existed. Eclipse completely ignored it and started doing it's own
thing.
--
Regards,
Lori Olson [TeamB]

Lori M Olson [TeamB] wrote:
Edward Yang wrote:

>Thanks. I really have no idea about the plugin thing. So JB and
>Eclipse don't agree with each other on plugin protocol?

Ha. JBuilder has had the "opentool" protocol for years before Eclipse
even existed. Eclipse completely ignored it and started doing it's own
thing.

So, the anwser is 'no' for my question? :-(

Edward Yang wrote:
Lori M Olson [TeamB] wrote:

>Edward Yang wrote:
>>Thanks. I really have no idea about the plugin thing. So JB and
>>Eclipse don't agree with each other on plugin protocol?
>
>Ha. JBuilder has had the "opentool" protocol for years before Eclipse
>even existed. Eclipse completely ignored it and started doing it's
>own thing.

So, the anwser is 'no' for my question? :-(
Yes, the answer is "no" to your question about
JBuilder and Eclipse plug-in architectures. They
are completely different; there is no compatibility
between them. JBuilder's OpenTools architecture
pre-dates the Eclipse plug-in architecture by
at least a couple of years.
And, to re-iterate, you may use SWT
only by writing code in the text editor.
The JBuilder UI Designer will not work
with SWT components.
As with all libraries (which SWT is), you
have to configure and add a JBuilder library
definition for SWT before you can use it in
your project. Please consult the JBuilder
Help, "configuring and adding libraries".
--
Paul Furbacher (TeamB)
Save time, search the archives:

Re:Is it possible to use Eclipse SWT in JB?

Yes what Paul said is absolute correct, just one addition here.
There are of course separate external (third party) UI Designers available,
which don't rely compeltely on the Eclipse IDE, but which support SWT GUI
development. In other words, one can use those seperate UI Designers in
order to create a SWT based GUI and then later reuse the UI code one of
these tools generated inside JBuilder. - It may also be possible to start
such an external Eclipse independent SWT UI Designer from inside of JBuilder
via the external tools customization features of JBuilder, that should be no
problem at all, it just needs some pre-setup work.
However for the JB side it is just essiential to setup up the SWT library
inclusion, e.g. to setup a SWT library definition for JBuilder, as Paul said
before!

news:41a6c88f$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>Edward Yang wrote:
>

>>Lori M Olson [TeamB] wrote:

>>>Ha. JBuilder has had the "opentool" protocol for years before Eclipse
>>>even existed. Eclipse completely ignored it and started doing it's
>>>own thing.
>>>

>>So, the anwser is 'no' for my question? :-(
>
>Yes, the answer is "no" to your question about
>JBuilder and Eclipse plug-in architectures. They
>are completely different; there is no compatibility
>between them. JBuilder's OpenTools architecture
>pre-dates the Eclipse plug-in architecture by
>at least a couple of years.
>
>And, to re-iterate, you may use SWT
>only by writing code in the text editor.
>The JBuilder UI Designer will not work
>with SWT components.
>
>As with all libraries (which SWT is), you
>have to configure and add a JBuilder library
>definition for SWT before you can use it in
>your project. Please consult the JBuilder
>Help, "configuring and adding libraries".
>

>--
>

>Paul Furbacher (TeamB)
>
>Save time, search the archives:
>www.borland.com/newsgroups/ngsearch.html
>
>Is it in Joi Ellis's Faq-O-Matic?
>www.visi.com/~gyles19/fom-serve/cache/1.html
>
>Finally, please send responses to the newsgroup only.
>That means, do not send email directly to me.
>Thank you.

Yes, I have found one - www.swt-designer.com/.
I don't like Eclipse anyway.

Re:Is it possible to use Eclipse SWT in JB?

Hello Edward,
I followed your link www.swt-designer.com/ . However it seems that
this designer tool is designed specificall for Eclipse. Did you manage to
make it work as a JB third party (external) tool ? If so how
thanx in advance !
Pascal