Compiling DataExpress from source....help!

2005-03-02 08:23:31 AM
jbuilder5
Hello all,
I am attempting to compile DataExpress from the source provided in JBuilder
2005 Enterprise edition.
I seem to missing some dependencies, which, for the life of me, I cannot
find anywhere in my JBuilder 2005 distribution.
The classes that appear to be missing:
SysQueries (referenced from com.borland.datastore.DataStorePump)
SysConnections (reference from com.borland.datastore.DataStorePump - same as
above)
DataSourceProps (referenced from com.borland.dx.util.DataSourceSet)
Also, the class com.borland.dx.util.DataSourceSet imports a package
com.borland.dx.util.cons which I also seems to be missing.
I have found the dependencies from JDataStore (jds.jar) and the BeanInfo and
other resources found in beandt.jar.
Has anyone else out there managed to successfully compile the DataExpress
files from the sources??
Any help would be greatly appreciated,
David Sykes

Re:Compiling DataExpress from source....help!

Hello,
I'm having the same problems... I'm tring to solve some bugs in DX but i
cannot compile DX from source. Have you achieved something? Or is anyone
who's capable of helping us?
Thanks a lot...
"David Sykes" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
[...]

Hi Adrian,
I have not received any help as yet. I did report it as a bug on QC, so you
can also follow it there. Perhaps you could even vote for it :-).
If I find anything, or receive any help, I will make sure it gets reported
here as well.
Dave

news:42250795$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>Hello all,
>
>I am attempting to compile DataExpress from the source provided in
>JBuilder 2005 Enterprise edition.
>
>I seem to missing some dependencies, which, for the life of me, I cannot
>find anywhere in my JBuilder 2005 distribution.
>
>The classes that appear to be missing:
>SysQueries (referenced from com.borland.datastore.DataStorePump)
>SysConnections (reference from com.borland.datastore.DataStorePump - same
>as above)
>DataSourceProps (referenced from com.borland.dx.util.DataSourceSet)
>
>Also, the class com.borland.dx.util.DataSourceSet imports a package
>com.borland.dx.util.cons which I also seems to be missing.
>
>I have found the dependencies from JDataStore (jds.jar) and the BeanInfo
>and other resources found in beandt.jar.
>
>Has anyone else out there managed to successfully compile the DataExpress
>files from the sources??
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated,
>David Sykes

{smallsort}

David Sykes wrote:
I am attempting to compile DataExpress from the source provided in
JBuilder 2005 Enterprise edition.

I seem to missing some dependencies, which, for the life of me, I
cannot find anywhere in my JBuilder 2005 distribution.
Recompiling the source is not a trivial process, unfortunately. Here's
the steps I use:
1. Extract the source in dx-src.jar to a directory.
2. Extract the class files in dx.jar to another directory.
3. Match the class files to the source files; if a source file exists
but doesn't have a corresponding class file, delete the source file.
4. Rebuild.
--
Kevin Dean [TeamB]
Dolphin Data Development Ltd.

Re:Compiling DataExpress from source....help!

Hello Kevin,
Thanks for your answer...
I have tried your solution but till now without success... I've removed some
files.. the errors droped down but 2 more exists, and i haven't found a
workaround for them:
1) import com.borland.dx.util.cons.*; -cannot find this...
2) DataSourceProps - cannot find this.... errors arrises in
DataSourceSet.java & MemoryDataSourceRepository.java
I think these errors are related and i cannot find any solution for them....
Can you help us?
Thanks again...

Adrian Pitulac wrote:
Thanks for your answer...
I have tried your solution but till now without success... I've
removed some files.. the errors droped down but 2 more exists, and i
haven't found a workaround for them:

1) import com.borland.dx.util.cons.*; -cannot find this...
2) DataSourceProps - cannot find this.... errors arrises in
DataSourceSet.java & MemoryDataSourceRepository.java

I think these errors are related and i cannot find any solution for
them.... Can you help us?
As I recall, I had similar problems when I tried to rebuild. What I
ultimately ended up doing was this:
- remove all source except for packages com.borland.dx.dataset,
com.borland.dx.dataset.cons, and com.borland.jb.util;
- add "Data Express" as a required library to the project;
- add an archive target that builds a file called dx-patch.jar;
- build the project;
- create a library called "Data Express Patch" and point it to
dx-patch.jar.
As long as dx-patch.jar is in the library list before dx.jar, any
modifications you make to the source will take effect.
--
Kevin Dean [TeamB]
Dolphin Data Development Ltd.
www.datadevelopment.com/
NEW WHITEPAPERS
Securing Borland Enterprise Server
info.borland.com/newsgroups/guide.html

Re:Compiling DataExpress from source....help!

Kevin,
thanks for the tip. It has brought me one step closer.
Doing what you mentioned meant removing the source files from the
com.borland.datastore package.
However, the com.borland.dx.util.DataSourceSet and
com.borland.dx.util.MemoryDataSourceRepository files exist as both source
and class. The two source files import the package com.borland.dx.util.cons
and reference a class DataSourceProps. The package and class do not exist in
dx.jar :-(.
It looks to me like DataSourceProps simply contains a bunch of string
constants referenced in the two other classes. It should be possible to
reconstruct this class by decompiling the DataSourceSet and
MemoryDataSourceRepository classes from dx.jar......however, I am not sure
if the JBuilder license allows that.
Any further steps required?
Thanks for your help so far!
Dave
David Sykes wrote:

>I am attempting to compile DataExpress from the source provided in
>JBuilder 2005 Enterprise edition.
>
>I seem to missing some dependencies, which, for the life of me, I
>cannot find anywhere in my JBuilder 2005 distribution.

Recompiling the source is not a trivial process, unfortunately. Here's
the steps I use:

1. Extract the source in dx-src.jar to a directory.
2. Extract the class files in dx.jar to another directory.
3. Match the class files to the source files; if a source file exists
but doesn't have a corresponding class file, delete the source file.
4. Rebuild.

--
Kevin Dean [TeamB]
Dolphin Data Development Ltd.
www.datadevelopment.com/

NEW WHITEPAPERS
Securing Borland Enterprise Server

info.borland.com/newsgroups/guide.html

Re:Compiling DataExpress from source....help!

I've done it... It works... Read the entire solution Kevin gave and you'll
do it.. Removing those files and using the dataxpress_patch.jar before
dx.jar in your projects will do the trick...
Thanks a lot Kevin...

>David Sykes wrote:
>
>>I am attempting to compile DataExpress from the source provided in
>>JBuilder 2005 Enterprise edition.
>>
>>I seem to missing some dependencies, which, for the life of me, I
>>cannot find anywhere in my JBuilder 2005 distribution.
>
>Recompiling the source is not a trivial process, unfortunately. Here's
>the steps I use:
>
>1. Extract the source in dx-src.jar to a directory.
>2. Extract the class files in dx.jar to another directory.
>3. Match the class files to the source files; if a source file exists
>but doesn't have a corresponding class file, delete the source file.
>4. Rebuild.
>
>--
>Kevin Dean [TeamB]
>Dolphin Data Development Ltd.
>www.datadevelopment.com/
>
>NEW WHITEPAPERS
>Team Development with JBuilder and Borland Enterprise Server
>Securing Borland Enterprise Server
>www.datadevelopment.com/papers/index.html
>
>Please see Borland's newsgroup guidelines at
>info.borland.com/newsgroups/guide.html

Re:Compiling DataExpress from source....help!

David Sykes wrote:
Any further steps required?
I think I had to remove those .java files as well. What you really
want to get down to is the smallest set of source that will allow you
to write the patch you need. It's tricky because the class files are
obfuscated, which means you need a larger subset of the code than might
otherwise be required.