refactor in 2006

2006-04-13 10:48:24 PM
jbuilder12
Not sure if Im posting to the right group. Just upgraded from jbuilder 7 to 2006. in 7 I used refactoring a lot (the menus were different). in 2006 when i right click on a variable to rename the Refactoring submenu says "No Refactoring Applicable" - I take it things are different in 2006 than 7? Thanks for any help

Re:refactor in 2006

mark gibson wrote:
Not sure if Im posting to the right group.
Since it's a problem with using the IDE, this is probably
the most appropriate newsgroup.
Just upgraded from
jbuilder 7 to 2006. in 7 I used refactoring a lot (the menus were
different). in 2006 when i right click on a variable to rename the
Refactoring submenu says "No Refactoring Applicable" - I take it
things are different in 2006 than 7?
Indeed. There are many more refactorings. It has been a long
time since I used JBuilder 7, so I don't know what affected the
availability of refactoring menu items. Perhaps that has changed
since then.
Your problem is a bit odd. The only way I can reproduce it
is if the variable itself is showing a squiggly line underneath
it, meaning that there's an error, most likely that it has not
been declared. (Errors above it can also cause the error insight
squiggles to show, as well.)
Try compiling the code, and then see if you get any errors, or
if the refactoring menu shows some items.
--
Paul Furbacher (TeamB)
Save time, search the archives:

Re:refactor in 2006

mark gibson wrote:
Not sure if Im posting to the right group. Just upgraded from jbuilder 7
to 2006. in 7 I used refactoring a lot (the menus were different). in 2006
when i right click on a variable to rename the Refactoring submenu says
"No Refactoring Applicable" - I take it things are different in 2006 than
7? Thanks for any help
That doesn't make any sense; JBuilder's refactoring has improved
significantly since JBuilder 7 and you should be able to refactor the
variable with no difficulty.
Check first though to ensure that the source file in question is actually
in the project source path. I don't think refactoring works outside the
current project, though it may have worked in the more rudimentary way in
JBuilder 7.
If that doesn't solve it, I suggest recreating your project file (jpx)
from scratch. JBuilder has changed significantly since version 7 and the
project file conversion routine doesn't always work correctly.
--
Kevin Dean [TeamB]
Dolphin Data Development Ltd.

{smallsort}

Re:refactor in 2006

Thanks for your quick repsonses...

Paul Furbacher wrote:
Indeed. There are many more refactorings. It has been a long
time since I used JBuilder 7, so I don't know what affected the
availability of refactoring menu items. Perhaps that has changed
since then.

Your problem is a bit odd. The only way I can reproduce it
is if the variable itself is showing a squiggly line underneath
it, meaning that there's an error, most likely that it has not
been declared. (Errors above it can also cause the error insight
squiggles to show, as well.)

Try compiling the code, and then see if you get any errors, or
if the refactoring menu shows some items.
I thought the same, that it was due to a lack of compile. But I rebuilt all with
no errors, and I dont have squiggly lines under the variables. The refactoring
menu only has 2 active items (the rest are greyed out): "Refactoring History"
and "Distributed Refactorings"

Kevin Dean [TeamB] wrote:
That doesn't make any sense; JBuilder's refactoring has improved
significantly since JBuilder 7 and you should be able to refactor the
variable with no difficulty.

Check first though to ensure that the source file in question is
actually in the project source path. I don't think refactoring works
outside the current project, though it may have worked in the more
rudimentary way in JBuilder 7.
The file is in project. (Unless "in project" means something different in 2006,
which im pretty sure it doesnt)

If that doesn't solve it, I suggest recreating your project file (jpx)
from scratch. JBuilder has changed significantly since version 7 and
the project file conversion routine doesn't always work correctly.

So actually Im using a project file I created in 2006. I created it in the 2006
trial edition actually, and in using it in the non-trial edition it was fine
except some jar files had to be re-specified. Anyways the trial edition also had
this refactoring problem, so i was hoping that that was something that just was
not in the trial or something - but not so.
I should mention that Im on linux SUSE 8.0, which is an old version as they are
now on 10.0 - I did notice in the jbuilder manual that suse 9.0 & later is
supported - everything seems to work ok thus far except the refactoring - so
perhaps the issue is that refactoring doesnt work on suse 8.0 (and thus i
migrated to 2006 prematurely). But I hope to be migrating to suse 10.0 fairly
soon so we'll see if that fixes this. Do you know of issues with running 2006 on
suse 8.0?

Re:refactor in 2006

So I upgraded to suse 10.0 and I even reinstalled jbuilder. The refactor still
doesnt work and it is incredibly slow. Stepping through a debug session is a
painfully slow process. Has anyone else had these problems with SUSE or anywhere
else. My machine has 1 GHz processor and 0.5G of RAM which meets the
requirements. JBuilder 6 & 7 were just fine. In this state JBuilder is unusable
(and unfortunately was a waste of money for me). If theres some sort of fix I
would love to hear it. Thanks much, Mark Gibson

XXXX@XXXXX.COM wrote:
So I upgraded to suse 10.0 and I even reinstalled jbuilder. The refactor still
doesnt work and it is incredibly slow. Stepping through a debug session is a
painfully slow process. Has anyone else had these problems with SUSE or anywhere
else. My machine has 1 GHz processor and 0.5G of RAM which meets the
requirements. JBuilder 6 & 7 were just fine. In this state JBuilder is unusable
(and unfortunately was a waste of money for me). If theres some sort of fix I
would love to hear it. Thanks much, Mark Gibson

500 MB of RAM might be a bit light. 1 GHz processor might be a bit
light. Although I got JB2005 Foundation to run on SuSE linux on a 700
MHz processor with 256 MB of RAM, just to prove I could, it wasn't
exactly a speed demon, and I would not have enjoyed programming on it
full-time. JB2006 is hosted on JDK 1.5, and it does seem to need more
RAM and a faster processor than JB2005.
That's about the only recommendation I can make. Memory is pretty cheap
these days, so if your machine can take more, that's where I would start.
--
Regards,
Lori Olson [TeamB]