how to make two tab next to each other in IDE

2006-05-18 11:58:30 AM
jbuilder0
assume I have opened many file in the JBuilderX IDE so there are 2 or 3 rows tab (each tab has the opened file name), now I want two of these tab next to each other so they are easier to compare (now one tab in the first row and the other on the second row, very inconvenience), how to move them so that these two tabs are next to each other?
Thx!!

Re:how to make two tab next to each other in IDE

Left-click on a tab and start dragging it. You can either completely undock
it , or else drag it to the edge of the IDE -- when you get to a docking
position there will be a rectangle to show you where it will dock if you
release the mouse.
"kei" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

assume I have opened many file in the JBuilderX IDE so there are 2 or 3
rows tab (each tab has the opened file name), now I want two of these tab
next to each other so they are easier to compare (now one tab in the first
row and the other on the second row, very inconvenience), how to move them
so that these two tabs are next to each other?
Thx!!

Re:how to make two tab next to each other in IDE

No, for example, there are 3 rows of tab, if I click the top row tab, it instantly will go to the bottom row (so can't drag it), but if I try to drag on the bottm row tab, it will completely undock (a new window is opened for that file), so also fail, is there any mistake I have taken?
I am using JBuilder X.
Thx!!

news:446bf0e6$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>assume I have opened many file in the JBuilderX IDE so there are 2 or 3
>rows tab (each tab has the opened file name), now I want two of these tab
>next to each other so they are easier to compare (now one tab in the first
>row and the other on the second row, very inconvenience), how to move them
>so that these two tabs are next to each other?
>Thx!!

{smallsort}

Re:how to make two tab next to each other in IDE

If you don't want the tab rows to change when you click, you will have to
switch so you are not using the Windows L&F. To do that,
Tools | Preferences | Browser | Look & Feel
and change to a different one (for example, the Borland L&F).
Alternatively, just let the first click change the tab row, then click-drag
to undock the tab (which is now on the bottom row).
When you do drag, move the tab so it is close to the right or bottom edge of
the IDE. When you get close, you should see a rectangle appear -- when you
see a position you like, just release the mouse button.
"kei" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

No, for example, there are 3 rows of tab, if I click the top row tab, it
instantly will go to the bottom row (so can't drag it), but if I try to
drag on the bottm row tab, it will completely undock (a new window is
opened for that file), so also fail, is there any mistake I have taken?
I am using JBuilder X.
Thx!!

"Bill Joy" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>Left-click on a tab and start dragging it. You can either completely
>undock
>it , or else drag it to the edge of the IDE -- when you get to a docking
>position there will be a rectangle to show you where it will dock if you
>release the mouse.
>

>"kei" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>news:446bf0e6$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>>
>>assume I have opened many file in the JBuilderX IDE so there are 2 or 3
>>rows tab (each tab has the opened file name), now I want two of these
>>tab
>>next to each other so they are easier to compare (now one tab in the
>>first
>>row and the other on the second row, very inconvenience), how to move
>>them
>>so that these two tabs are next to each other?
>>Thx!!

Re:how to make two tab next to each other in IDE

still fail, I can undock the tab, but what I want to do is not undock the tab, but put two tab next to each other, for example, there is tab A on first row and tab B on second row, I want to place the tab A next to tab B (tab A and tab B is still docked, not undocked), how can I do it or is it impossible?

news:446c0810$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>No, for example, there are 3 rows of tab, if I click the top row tab, it
>instantly will go to the bottom row (so can't drag it), but if I try to
>drag on the bottm row tab, it will completely undock (a new window is
>opened for that file), so also fail, is there any mistake I have taken?
>I am using JBuilder X.
>Thx!!
>
>"Bill Joy" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>>Left-click on a tab and start dragging it. You can either completely
>>undock
>>it , or else drag it to the edge of the IDE -- when you get to a docking
>>position there will be a rectangle to show you where it will dock if you
>>release the mouse.
>>

>>"kei" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>>news:446bf0e6$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>>>
>>>assume I have opened many file in the JBuilderX IDE so there are 2 or 3
>>>rows tab (each tab has the opened file name), now I want two of these
>>>tab
>>>next to each other so they are easier to compare (now one tab in the
>>>first
>>>row and the other on the second row, very inconvenience), how to move
>>>them
>>>so that these two tabs are next to each other?
>>>Thx!!

Re:how to make two tab next to each other in IDE

You can also drag a tab to move its position in the tabbed pane. Just
click, drag, and drop it on another tab at the position you want it to be
inserted.
Note that if you are using Windows L&F, you will first have to click on the
tab to get it on the first row. After that you can drag it.
If you use undocking, you can have two or more files open side-by-side
making it easier to compare the files (or even drag text from one file to
the other so you don't have to use the clipboard).
"kei" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

still fail, I can undock the tab, but what I want to do is not undock the
tab, but put two tab next to each other, for example, there is tab A on
first row and tab B on second row, I want to place the tab A next to tab B
(tab A and tab B is still docked, not undocked), how can I do it or is it
impossible?

Thx!!

"Bill Joy" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>If you don't want the tab rows to change when you click, you will have to
>switch so you are not using the Windows L&F. To do that,
>
>Tools | Preferences | Browser | Look & Feel
>
>and change to a different one (for example, the Borland L&F).
>
>Alternatively, just let the first click change the tab row, then
>click-drag
>to undock the tab (which is now on the bottom row).
>
>When you do drag, move the tab so it is close to the right or bottom edge
>of
>the IDE. When you get close, you should see a rectangle appear -- when
>you
>see a position you like, just release the mouse button.
>

>"kei" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>news:446c0810$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>>
>>No, for example, there are 3 rows of tab, if I click the top row tab, it
>>instantly will go to the bottom row (so can't drag it), but if I try to
>>drag on the bottm row tab, it will completely undock (a new window is
>>opened for that file), so also fail, is there any mistake I have taken?
>>I am using JBuilder X.
>>Thx!!
>>
>>"Bill Joy" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>>>Left-click on a tab and start dragging it. You can either completely
>>>undock
>>>it , or else drag it to the edge of the IDE -- when you get to a docking
>>>position there will be a rectangle to show you where it will dock if you
>>>release the mouse.
>>>

>>>"kei" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>>>news:446bf0e6$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

Re:how to make two tab next to each other in IDE

when I drag a tab to move its position in the tabbed pane and relaease the mouse, the tab undock and open in a new window!!
are you also using JBuilderX??

news:446c32f3$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>still fail, I can undock the tab, but what I want to do is not undock the
>tab, but put two tab next to each other, for example, there is tab A on
>first row and tab B on second row, I want to place the tab A next to tab B
>(tab A and tab B is still docked, not undocked), how can I do it or is it
>impossible?
>
>Thx!!
>
>"Bill Joy" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>>If you don't want the tab rows to change when you click, you will have to
>>switch so you are not using the Windows L&F. To do that,
>>
>>Tools | Preferences | Browser | Look & Feel
>>
>>and change to a different one (for example, the Borland L&F).
>>
>>Alternatively, just let the first click change the tab row, then
>>click-drag
>>to undock the tab (which is now on the bottom row).
>>
>>When you do drag, move the tab so it is close to the right or bottom edge
>>of
>>the IDE. When you get close, you should see a rectangle appear -- when
>>you
>>see a position you like, just release the mouse button.
>>

>>"kei" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>>news:446c0810$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>>>
>>>No, for example, there are 3 rows of tab, if I click the top row tab, it
>>>instantly will go to the bottom row (so can't drag it), but if I try to
>>>drag on the bottm row tab, it will completely undock (a new window is
>>>opened for that file), so also fail, is there any mistake I have taken?
>>>I am using JBuilder X.
>>>Thx!!

Re:how to make two tab next to each other in IDE

Yes, I have been using JBuilder X Foundation to verify my instructions.
It sounds like you are not being accurate at the point where you are
releasing the mouse. It is the point of the mouse that is used to determine
the position of the drop, not the rectangular bounds of the tab image being
dragged.
Look at the mouse cursor when you are dragging. If you are over a tabbed
pane drop point, the mouse cursor will change -- it will look like a stacked
set of tabbed folders.
"kei" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

when I drag a tab to move its position in the tabbed pane and relaease the
mouse, the tab undock and open in a new window!!
are you also using JBuilderX??

"Bill Joy" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>You can also drag a tab to move its position in the tabbed pane. Just
>click, drag, and drop it on another tab at the position you want it to be
>inserted.
>
>Note that if you are using Windows L&F, you will first have to click on
>the
>tab to get it on the first row. After that you can drag it.
>
>If you use undocking, you can have two or more files open side-by-side
>making it easier to compare the files (or even drag text from one file to
>the other so you don't have to use the clipboard).
>

>"kei" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>news:446c32f3$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>>
>>still fail, I can undock the tab, but what I want to do is not undock
>>the
>>tab, but put two tab next to each other, for example, there is tab A on
>>first row and tab B on second row, I want to place the tab A next to tab
>>(tab A and tab B is still docked, not undocked), how can I do it or is
>>it
>>impossible?
>>
>>Thx!!
>>
>>"Bill Joy" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>>>If you don't want the tab rows to change when you click, you will have
>>>switch so you are not using the Windows L&F. To do that,
>>>
>>>Tools | Preferences | Browser | Look & Feel
>>>
>>>and change to a different one (for example, the Borland L&F).
>>>
>>>Alternatively, just let the first click change the tab row, then
>>>click-drag
>>>to undock the tab (which is now on the bottom row).
>>>
>>>When you do drag, move the tab so it is close to the right or bottom
>>>edge
>>>of
>>>the IDE. When you get close, you should see a rectangle appear -- when
>>>you
>>>see a position you like, just release the mouse button.
>>>

>>>"kei" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>>>news:446c0810$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

Re:how to make two tab next to each other in IDE

I have draged the tab around the tabbed pane and the mouse is still a white arrow, not look like a stacked set of tabbed folders anywhere, and if I drag it near the boundary of the monitor, the mouse change to like a black arrow, anyway, everytime I release the mouse press, the tab is undocked!! and I need to right click the undocked tab and select "dock editor" to dock it again.

news:446d28eb$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>when I drag a tab to move its position in the tabbed pane and relaease the
>mouse, the tab undock and open in a new window!!
>are you also using JBuilderX??
>
>"Bill Joy" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>>You can also drag a tab to move its position in the tabbed pane. Just
>>click, drag, and drop it on another tab at the position you want it to be
>>inserted.
>>
>>Note that if you are using Windows L&F, you will first have to click on
>>the
>>tab to get it on the first row. After that you can drag it.
>>
>>If you use undocking, you can have two or more files open side-by-side
>>making it easier to compare the files (or even drag text from one file to
>>the other so you don't have to use the clipboard).
>>

>>"kei" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>>news:446c32f3$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>>>
>>>still fail, I can undock the tab, but what I want to do is not undock
>>>the
>>>tab, but put two tab next to each other, for example, there is tab A on
>>>first row and tab B on second row, I want to place the tab A next to tab
>>>(tab A and tab B is still docked, not undocked), how can I do it or is
>>>it
>>>impossible?
>>>
>>>Thx!!

Re:how to make two tab next to each other in IDE

I am going to send a screen capture image to your return address to show you
what it looks like.

Oh, if you plan to send email to me, please use the email address " XXXX@XXXXX.COM ", thx!!

news:446d3832$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>I have draged the tab around the tabbed pane and the mouse is still a
>white arrow, not look like a stacked set of tabbed folders anywhere, and
>if I drag it near the boundary of the monitor, the mouse change to like a
>black arrow, anyway, everytime I release the mouse press, the tab is
>undocked!! and I need to right click the undocked tab and select "dock
>editor" to dock it again.
>
>"Bill Joy" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>>Yes, I have been using JBuilder X Foundation to verify my instructions.
>>
>>It sounds like you are not being accurate at the point where you are
>>releasing the mouse. It is the point of the mouse that is used to
>>determine
>>the position of the drop, not the rectangular bounds of the tab image
>>being
>>dragged.
>>
>>Look at the mouse cursor when you are dragging. If you are over a tabbed
>>pane drop point, the mouse cursor will change -- it will look like a
>>stacked
>>set of tabbed folders.
>>

>>"kei" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>>news:446d28eb$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>>>
>>>when I drag a tab to move its position in the tabbed pane and relaease
>>>the
>>>mouse, the tab undock and open in a new window!!
>>>are you also using JBuilderX??

Re:how to make two tab next to each other in IDE

I have received your email, but just seems that there is some setting so that when I drag the tab, the icon is different from you and when I release, the tab is undocked (undocked is not my expected result)!!
"kei" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

Oh, if you plan to send email to me, please use the email address " XXXX@XXXXX.COM ", thx!!

"Bill Joy" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>I am going to send a screen capture image to your return address to show you
>what it looks like.
>

>"kei" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>news:446d3832$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>>
>>I have draged the tab around the tabbed pane and the mouse is still a
>>white arrow, not look like a stacked set of tabbed folders anywhere, and
>>if I drag it near the boundary of the monitor, the mouse change to like a
>>black arrow, anyway, everytime I release the mouse press, the tab is
>>undocked!! and I need to right click the undocked tab and select "dock
>>editor" to dock it again.
>>
>>"Bill Joy" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>>>Yes, I have been using JBuilder X Foundation to verify my instructions.
>>>
>>>It sounds like you are not being accurate at the point where you are
>>>releasing the mouse. It is the point of the mouse that is used to
>>>determine
>>>the position of the drop, not the rectangular bounds of the tab image
>>>being
>>>dragged.
>>>
>>>Look at the mouse cursor when you are dragging. If you are over a tabbed
>>>pane drop point, the mouse cursor will change -- it will look like a
>>>stacked
>>>set of tabbed folders.
>>>

>>>"kei" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>>>news:446d28eb$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

Re:how to make two tab next to each other in IDE

Try to duplicate exactly what I did in my screen capture -- then make your
own screen capture and send it to me. Maybe I can see something in it that
will help determine the problem.