JBuilder 2005 - Designer - Just doesnt work

2005-03-16 09:14:23 PM
jbuilder8
Hi All
I have been using JBuilder 2005 on and off for a while now, but one thing
which is starting to really stress me out is this Designer part.
I originally had JBuilder 6 which was then updated to JBuilder XP and now
2005. With version 6 i had no issues with the designer at all. Version XP
a few oddities but mainly it was ok. However, now with 2005 it is getting
to the point where it is unuseable.
(These projects are all based on the original ones which started on Version
6)
PC Spec
P4 3.0 (800fsb)
1 gig Corsair 3500
Abit IC7-MAX3
ATI 9800 Pro 256meg DDR2
Dual Display to Iiyama VM pro 454 and LG L1710B
I click on a design view and it can take minutes to do anything. I do load
the projects from a mapped drive, but it is mapped to my main local C drive
(74gig WD Raptor).
When it finally loads i get the odd red component has been made in some
programs (i think that is because i havent got the null constructor though)
but ALL the labels/buttons/anything which has text has Vanished! I can
click on a label and on the right hand side there is no text in the "text"
box. However, if i search through the code i can see the label.settext()
code, and when it is compiled and run the text is all there.
Today i have tried to fix this by doing the following
Uninstalled JRE 1.42 installed 1.5
Tried modifying the jdk.config file as suggested by (Lori Olson [TeamB])
Updated to the latest Catalyst drivers.
None of this has helped.
Can anyone help?
Cheers
Jon

Re:JBuilder 2005 - Designer - Just doesnt work

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 13:14:23 -0000, LaughingJon wrote:
None of this has helped.

Can anyone help?
A couple of suggestions...
- Run JBuilder.exe rather than JBuilderW.exe. I'd like to know of any
stacktraces appear in the console window that jbuilder.exe creates when
you're using the designer.
- Have you installed Update 4? I think it fixes several designer problems.
--
David Orriss Jr. TeamB
www.davenet.net/

"David Orriss, Jr. [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
A couple of suggestions...

- Run JBuilder.exe rather than JBuilderW.exe. I'd like to know of any
stacktraces appear in the console window that jbuilder.exe creates when
you're using the designer.

- Have you installed Update 4? I think it fixes several designer
problems.
Hi there
I have installed Update 4
I ran the jbuilder.exe file which bought up the dos box which has probably
highlighted why it loads quite slowly. It is trying to execute the asp
pages i use inside my java applet. (we need to use ASPs to collect data
from our databases) However, because it cant find the webserver it is
failing to execute the asps properly.
So that helps explains why it takes a while to load the designer.
However, there are quite a few errors which simply say
BAD GFX
BAD GFX
At the very top it says
Disabling offscreen DirectDraw acceleration
which i assume is something to do with me modifying the jdk.config file.
other than that the screen doesnt say anything.
Does this help?
Cheers
Jon

{smallsort}

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 18:58:47 -0000, LaughingJon wrote:
However, because it cant find the webserver it is
failing to execute the asps properly.

So that helps explains why it takes a while to load the designer.
Indeed. You need to change your code so that the ASP communication isn't
done when the code is viewed in the designer. This can cause a lot of
problems (in addition to the delays you're seeing).
At the very top it says

Disabling offscreen DirectDraw acceleration
That's normal.
--
David Orriss Jr. TeamB
www.davenet.net/
* Please limit all responses to the newsgroups. Thanks! *
Got a JBuilder website? Join the JBuilder Netring! Check out
www.davenet.net/jbwebring/jbwebring.htm for more information!
My blog: mywebpages.comcast.net/daorriss/
Save yourself some time and check these sites:
Borland Newsgroup Search:
Joi Ellis's Faq-O-Matic:

Re:JBuilder 2005 - Designer - Just doesnt work

"David Orriss, Jr. [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Indeed. You need to change your code so that the ASP communication isn't
done when the code is viewed in the designer. This can cause a lot of
problems (in addition to the delays you're seeing).
But would this cause the designer to not see text which is hardcoded in the
program and not display that text?
Is there a standard method/check to perform so i can detect if its jbuilder
designer trying to run a function rather than the actual applet when it is
live?
Cheers
Jon

Re:JBuilder 2005 - Designer - Just doesnt work

Is there a standard method/check to perform so i can detect if its
jbuilder
designer trying to run a function rather than the actual applet when it is
live?
if (Beans.isDesignTime())
{
}

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>Indeed. You need to change your code so that the ASP communication isn't
>done when the code is viewed in the designer. This can cause a lot of
>problems (in addition to the delays you're seeing).

But would this cause the designer to not see text which is hardcoded in the
program and not display that text?

Is there a standard method/check to perform so i can detect if its jbuilder
designer trying to run a function rather than the actual applet when it is
live?

Cheers
Jon

It used to be that the Designer only ran jbInit() when it opened. There
used to be problems with instantiating custom components from
jbInit().
On start up, an applet's init() method is called and if you look at the
code, jbInit() is called from init(). Anything you want the applet to
initialize but not the Designer, put into init() after the call to jbInit().
Anyway, that's the way it used to be. I'm still running JB9 -- waiting
for JB12 to stabilize things.