Re: So I guess the free Foundation version of JBuilder is not going to

2006-04-07 05:35:49 AM
jbuilder14
Given that eclipse has the highest market share (more than 2 times their closest rival, which is jbuilder) and borland is adopting the eclipse engine for the upcoming jbuilder version, I think it is an obvious choice.
Personally, I would rather stick with Borland and hope the suits make a marketing change on this decision.
Ken Warner < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
JBuilder Foundation 2005 was made available in Feb 2005. That's more than a year ago.

Downloading JBuilder Enterprise 2006 to get Foundation is not an option at 570-606 Mb.

So the suits have had their way at Borland -- OK.

But the question is -- what is the next best or better Java IDE now that I can get for next to nothing.

Eclipse? IntelliJ?

Re:Re: So I guess the free Foundation version of JBuilder is not going to

dingfelder wrote:
Given that eclipse has the highest market share (more than 2 times
their closest rival, which is jbuilder) and borland is adopting the
eclipse engine for the upcoming jbuilder version, I think it is an
obvious choice.

Personally, I would rather stick with Borland and hope the suits
make a marketing change on this decision.
JBuilder on Eclipse, a.k.a., Peloton, is not going to be Eclipse,
at least from what I can decipher from the announcements made thus
far. So switching to Eclipse doesn't necessarily get you ready for
Peloton.
I'm not sure what all the fuss is about the size of the Enterprise
Evaluation download. Yes, it's nearly 700 MB, but I regularly
download tools from various places that are in that ballpark.
(Apple's Dev Tools come to mind.)
If the issue is bandwidth, are you saying you don't know some
friend, neighbor, {*word*249}age son or daughter's friend, who has
high-speed access? In this day and age, that's an improbable
story.
I'd say the old adage applies:
If there's a will, there's a way.
--