Code generation & execution

2004-06-24 10:34:28 PM
jbuilder22
Hi.
Sorry if this is a stupid question, because I know nothing about Java
beyond a few hours spent with an early version of JBuilder.
Is it possible for a Java application to generate a Java source code
module and then execute it? Obviously JBuilder can do this, but I
mean a normal, deployed Java application. Or would the user require
the SDK or something?
Cheers, Martyn

Re:Code generation & execution

Martyn Ayers wrote:
Hi.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, because I know nothing about Java
beyond a few hours spent with an early version of JBuilder.

Is it possible for a Java application to generate a Java source code
module and then execute it? Obviously JBuilder can do this, but I
mean a normal, deployed Java application. Or would the user require
the SDK or something?

Cheers, Martyn
You cannot "execute" Java source. You "execute" Java bytecodes. If you
generated Java source, it would have to be compiled into bytecodes to be
executable, and yes, you would need the SDK to do this. The standard
license on the SDK does not allow it to be re-distributed.
If you generated Java bytecodes, you could execute those.
--
Regards,
Lori Olson [TeamB]