Trouble with Tutorial

2005-07-23 02:37:40 AM
jbuilder0
jBuilder 2005 Trial
I must really be dense. It's really sad when you can't get a tutorial to work.
I've tried 3 times to get the "Creating a basic database application" tutorial to work. I get to the end of step 4 and "lose" all the queryDataSet1 Columns I had and what I added.
Somethings I worked around, like using SQL Builder instead of what the docs said to use and adding a missing try/catch.
I would appreciate any insight.
Thanks
Paul

Re:Trouble with Tutorial

Frankly I don't have the time to review that tutorial, but if you can
ask more specific questions I will be glad to help..
John..
Paul wrote:
jBuilder 2005 Trial

I must really be dense. It's really sad when you can't get a tutorial to work.

I've tried 3 times to get the "Creating a basic database application" tutorial to work. I get to the end of step 4 and "lose" all the queryDataSet1 Columns I had and what I added.

Somethings I worked around, like using SQL Builder instead of what the docs said to use and adding a missing try/catch.

I would appreciate any insight.

Thanks

Paul
TeamB are volunteer helpers. Please DO NOT REPLY VIA EMAIL!
Post all questions and replies to this newsgroup ONLY
For papers on DataExpress, Applets, JSP, and Web Development go to:
www.microps.com/mps/paperFAQ.html

Re:Trouble with Tutorial

What can I say. I've got a whole 2 days experience.
The Tutorial is:' "Creating a basic database application" - How to build a {simple} database application that connects to a SQL database.'
I get to the end of step 4 - after creating a half dozen fields and changing 8-10 of the originals - and then cut/paste text right fom the tutorial into the Source. It won't compile
because it throws a DataSetException. I've added code for a try/catch and I've tried it without the "throws DataSetException". Same results:
All the columns in the source are column1 - column11 with none of the column names from the table, queryDataSet1 is cleared, and when I do the "Test Query" from the Query dialog in queryDataSet1, I get "Failed".
Paul

Paul wrote:
>jBuilder 2005 Trial
>
>I must really be dense. It's really sad when you can't get a tutorial to work.
>
>I've tried 3 times to get the "Creating a basic database application" tutorial to work. I get to the end of step 4 and "lose" all the queryDataSet1 Columns I had and what I added.
>
>Somethings I worked around, like using SQL Builder instead of what the docs said to use and adding a missing try/catch.
>
>I would appreciate any insight.
>
>Thanks
>
>Paul

TeamB are volunteer helpers. Please DO NOT REPLY VIA EMAIL!
Post all questions and replies to this newsgroup ONLY
For papers on DataExpress, Applets, JSP, and Web Development go to:
www.microps.com/mps/paperFAQ.html

Re:Trouble with Tutorial

Well,
First you should not have to "build the table"
The QueryDataSet will automatically create the necessary structure
when you connect to your database and run the basic select statement.
Your first task is to connect to the SQL database.. Can you complete
that step?
Your second step is to create an SQL statment in the "query" property of
the QueryDataSet. (basic "select * from table" will do..)
Once you do that the QueryDataSet will query the database for the
"metadata" and create the necessary table structure for you.. as an "in
memory table"
John..
Paul wrote:
What can I say. I've got a whole 2 days experience.

The Tutorial is:' "Creating a basic database application" - How to build a {simple} database application that connects to a SQL database.'

I get to the end of step 4 - after creating a half dozen fields and changing 8-10 of the originals - and then cut/paste text right fom the tutorial into the Source. It won't compile
because it throws a DataSetException. I've added code for a try/catch and I've tried it without the "throws DataSetException". Same results:
All the columns in the source are column1 - column11 with none of the column names from the table, queryDataSet1 is cleared, and when I do the "Test Query" from the Query dialog in queryDataSet1, I get "Failed".

Paul

John Moore < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

>Frankly I don't have the time to review that tutorial, but if you can
>ask more specific questions I will be glad to help..
>
>John..
>
>Paul wrote:
>
>>jBuilder 2005 Trial
>>
>>I must really be dense. It's really sad when you can't get a tutorial to work.
>>
>>I've tried 3 times to get the "Creating a basic database application" tutorial to work. I get to the end of step 4 and "lose" all the queryDataSet1 Columns I had and what I added.
>>
>>Somethings I worked around, like using SQL Builder instead of what the docs said to use and adding a missing try/catch.
>>
>>I would appreciate any insight.
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Paul
>
>--
>TeamB are volunteer helpers. Please DO NOT REPLY VIA EMAIL!
>Post all questions and replies to this newsgroup ONLY
>For papers on DataExpress, Applets, JSP, and Web Development go to:
>www.microps.com/mps/paperFAQ.html

TeamB are volunteer helpers. Please DO NOT REPLY VIA EMAIL!
Post all questions and replies to this newsgroup ONLY
For papers on DataExpress, Applets, JSP, and Web Development go to:
www.microps.com/mps/paperFAQ.html

Re:Trouble with Tutorial

Again, it's a tutorial and I just typed the title.
The only build is the "application".
The table ships with the tutorial...
Look... never mind. It's not the first thing in the tutorial
that doesn't work and I'm beginning to have my suspicions. I'm
moving on and will continue educating myself and discover what the problem is, or discover it's the products problem - at
which point I can switch to something else.
Thanks for the time.

Paul wrote:
>What can I say. I've got a whole 2 days experience.
>
>The Tutorial is:' "Creating a basic database application" - How to build a {simple} database application that connects to a SQL database.'
>
>I get to the end of step 4 - after creating a half dozen fields and changing 8-10 of the originals - and then cut/paste text right fom the tutorial into the Source. It won't compile
>because it throws a DataSetException. I've added code for a try/catch and I've tried it without the "throws DataSetException". Same results:
>All the columns in the source are column1 - column11 with none of the column names from the table, queryDataSet1 is cleared, and when I do the "Test Query" from the Query dialog in queryDataSet1, I get "Failed".
>
>Paul
>
>John Moore < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>
>>Frankly I don't have the time to review that tutorial, but if you can
>>ask more specific questions I will be glad to help..
>>
>>John..
>>
>>Paul wrote:
>>
>>>jBuilder 2005 Trial
>>>
>>>I must really be dense. It's really sad when you can't get a tutorial to work.
>>>
>>>I've tried 3 times to get the "Creating a basic database application" tutorial to work. I get to the end of step 4 and "lose" all the queryDataSet1 Columns I had and what I added.
>>>
>>>Somethings I worked around, like using SQL Builder instead of what the docs said to use and adding a missing try/catch.
>>>
>>>I would appreciate any insight.
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>
>>>Paul
>>
>>--
>>=============================================
>>TeamB are volunteer helpers. Please DO NOT REPLY VIA EMAIL!
>>Post all questions and replies to this newsgroup ONLY
>>For papers on DataExpress, Applets, JSP, and Web Development go to:
>>www.microps.com/mps/paperFAQ.html
>>====================================================

TeamB are volunteer helpers. Please DO NOT REPLY VIA EMAIL!
Post all questions and replies to this newsgroup ONLY
For papers on DataExpress, Applets, JSP, and Web Development go to:
www.microps.com/mps/paperFAQ.html

Re:Trouble with Tutorial

Sorry you are having problems..
You might consider the fact that JBuilder is "just Java" and seek out
information on general JDBC, Swing..etc.. Most of us here use JBuilder
for rather serious business developement.. It is up to the task..<G>
If you have questions on the GUI database components you need to post in
the "dbswing" section for the best help.. (I don't do GUI..<G>)
There is also some links down on my sigature that have
information/papers on how to use the DataExpress components.. You might
find those more helpful.