Driver install and InterClient

2004-01-13 04:01:12 AM
jbuilder8
Hello, I have been trying to get my DataBase connection going for about 2
days now but with no luck.... its been very frustrating.
I referenced the post by Bela Kovacs on 12-25-2003 and I am doing exactly
the same.
I have my "MYSQL" database residing on another server. The name (url) of
the server is MySQL.hacp.com. It is on our Intranet.
My Jbuilder Does not see the server nor the databases.
The JBuilder documentation refers to InterClient to be used in order to
access any remote databases.
I am so confused about now. Do I use interbase, Interclient, or the JDBC
Driver (mysql_connector-java-3.0.9-stable-bin.jar"?
Any help on the subject is greatly appreciated

Re:Driver install and InterClient

matt Bolan wrote:
Hello, I have been trying to get my DataBase connection going for about 2
days now but with no luck.... its been very frustrating.

I referenced the post by Bela Kovacs on 12-25-2003 and I am doing exactly
the same.

I have my "MYSQL" database residing on another server. The name (url) of
the server is MySQL.hacp.com. It is on our Intranet.

Follow these directions below:
Step 1: Copy the mysql-connector-jaca-3.0.7-stable-bin.jar to your
/JBuilder/lib/ext folder.
Step 2: Open JBuilder, Go to Tools-Configure libraries in JBuilder X. Create
a new library. Call it mysql Click on the Add button and go to the
directory , /JBuilder/lib/ext and find the
mysql-connector-jaca-3.0.7-stable-bin.jar. Add it to Library Paths.
Note: If you are using 1.3, instead of 1.4.x JDK, add the following jars as
well (you may need to copy these first to the /JBuilder/lib/ext folder).
jdbc2_0-stdext.jar
mini-j2EE.jar
you can find these additional files on Javasoft site, if you need them.
Step 3: Save the newly created library named mysql.
Step 4: Go to file option Project/Properties and add the newly created
library to the Required Libraries Tab (mysql). It should work for you now.
If you want the DBPilot to work as well, follow the following steps.
Step 1: Find the folder where you installed JBuilder (example /opt/JBuilderX
on Unix, C:\JBuilderX on Windows).
Step 2: locate the /lib/ext folder under JBuilder.
Step 4: Locate the /bin directory under the JBuilderX folder. Find the
dbpilot.config file and open it in a text editor.
Step 5: Add new lines at the bottom of this file,
addpath ../lib/ext/mysql-connector-jaca-3.0.7-stable-bin.jar.
Save it.
That should give you the ability to use dbpilot, or the previous created
connections option from the DataModule designer.
you should be able now to connect to mySQL using the following connection
information (You will need to set a ClassPath for this driver the first
time you use it. You can do this from DBPilot, and it will carry over to
JBuilder). These instructions assume you will be adding from JBuilder.
Steps.
Step 1: Create a JBuilder Project.
Step 2: Open JBuilder. Go to File New and from the Object Gallery, select
DataModule. Call it whatever you want and put it into any package you
desire.
Step 3: Make sure that before you click OK on the Data Module Wizard, you
use the invoke Dat Modeler option. This will put up the Data Moduler
Wizard.
Step 4: Click Database and Add Connection. From the Add Connection Window,
for Driver, type in com.mysql.jdbc.Driver. For the URL, type in
jdbc://mysql://<servername>/<databasename>, where <servername>= your actual
intranet server name or IP, and <databasename>= your Database that you are
attempting to connect to. Save it.
Step 5: From the Lect hand side of the wizard, you should see your
connection. It should be something like:
mysql://<servername>/<databasename>.
Step 6: Double click on the connection name to open the tree. A Dialog will
pop up, asking you to type in your User ID and Password. Type them in and
hit OK.
Step 7: If this is all successful, you should see the Table listed, from the
tree on the left of Connection properties. Open the Tables tree, and select
your Table that you wish to Query. Hit the Copy All>>button to copy all
of the fields from the Query Over. That Should have create a Query in the
Top Left hand column of the Form that will be named the same as your Table.
Now try to create a small app and test.

Re:Driver install and InterClient

Paul: Thanks a million.. that worked...somewhat. I had to alter couple of
things to make it work. When I was in DBPilot, I did not see the mysql
driver, instead I saw the "sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver" driver. All other
drivers were marked in red except the DataStore driver. I picked the sun
driver and I saw all the databases that I am accustomed to seeing in the BDE
when developing the C++ apps. It is probably not the driver that I wanted
for all java and JDBC development.....Do I?
I created another connection to see if our "mysdql" driver would work.
Inside DBPilot, I created a new connection url from the database menu. I
specified the com.mysql.jdbc.Driver for the Driver and
jdbc://mysql://MYSQL.hacp.com/LockBox. The message that keep getting is
"""The URL: jdbc://mysql:/MYSQL.hacp.com/LockBox could not be found. Check
for misspellings and that the right driver is present on the classpath..."""
then when I hit next I get """no suitable driver"""
The JBUILDER and the DBPilot are still not seeing the mysql driver, but I
can see the databases with the sun driver..... Is this right?
thanks again.... really appreciated.
"pNichols" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
matt Bolan wrote:

> [...]

attempting to connect to. Save it.

Step 5: From the Lect hand side of the wizard, you should see your
connection. It should be something like:

mysql://<servername>/<databasename>.

Step 6: Double click on the connection name to open the tree. A Dialog
will
pop up, asking you to type in your User ID and Password. Type them in and
hit OK.

Step 7: If this is all successful, you should see the Table listed, from
the
tree on the left of Connection properties. Open the Tables tree, and
select
your Table that you wish to Query. Hit the Copy All>>button to copy all
of the fields from the Query Over. That Should have create a Query in the
Top Left hand column of the Form that will be named the same as your

{smallsort}

matt Bolan wrote:
Paul: Thanks a million.. that worked...somewhat. I had to alter couple of
things to make it work. When I was in DBPilot, I did not see the mysql
driver, instead I saw the "sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver" driver. All
other
drivers were marked in red except the DataStore driver. I picked the sun
driver and I saw all the databases that I am accustomed to seeing in the
BDE
when developing the C++ apps. It is probably not the driver that I wanted
for all java and JDBC development.....Do I?

NO, the ODBC Driver should not be used for production work. If you added the
addpath ../lib/ext/mysql-connector-java-3.0.7-stable-bin.jar to the
dbpilot.config file in /jbuilder/bin folder, then you will not see mysql
Driver show up until you add a connection.
Step 1: Copy the mysql-connector-jaca-3.0.7-stable-bin.jar into your
JBuilder/lib/ext folder. It MUST go in here first.
Step 2: Go to the /JBuilder/bin folder. Find the dbpilot.config file and
open it with a text editor. Add or append a new line at the bottom that
reads addpath ../lib/ext/mysql-connector-java-3.0.7-stable-bin.jar ( I am
assuming that this is the name of the jar file that you downloaded from the
mysql.org site for java connectivity).
Step 3: Bring up DbPilot. Go to File/New. A new URL Doalog will appear.
type in the Driver TextField: com.mysql.jdbc.Driver. For the url, type in
jdbc:mysql://<servername>/<databasename>.
Step 4: Go to File and apply these settings. Now try and connect by double
clicking the new entry in the left hand column where you should see
mysql://<servername>/<databasename>.
You will see a UserID and Password box appear. Type these in and you should
connect. Using the pilot viewer, you should see the table names appear.
. You should be able to connect to the database.
Step 5: Once you have established the connection in DBPilot, this same
connction will show up for you when you use the DataModule/DataConnection
wizard. Choose it and it will write the Database connection parameters for
you.
I created another connection to see if our "mysdql" driver would work.
Inside DBPilot, I created a new connection url from the database menu. I
specified the com.mysql.jdbc.Driver for the Driver and
jdbc://mysql://MYSQL.hacp.com/LockBox. The message that keep getting is
"""The URL: jdbc://mysql:/MYSQL.hacp.com/LockBox could not be found.
Check for misspellings and that the right driver is present on the
classpath...""" then when I hit next I get """no suitable driver"""

This sounds like you have not copied the jdbc drivers to the
/Jbuilder/lib/ext folder. Did you copy the
mysql-connector-java-3.0.7-stable-bin.jar from the place where you
downloaded it from mysql.org physically to /JBuilder/lib/ext folder?
You have to add the library to JBuilder once you do this and you have to
folow the direction, reiterated above, for the DBPilot to work.

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

pNichols wrote:
>Paul: Thanks a million.. that worked...somewhat. I had to alter couple of
>things to make it work. When I was in DBPilot, I did not see the mysql
>driver, instead I saw the "sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver" driver.
If you have followed the instructions which
Paul Nichols _and_ the JBuilder Help give
for adding database drivers to JBuilder,
you can get DBPilot to show you the driver
in the drop-down list by going to the
View>Options... dialog in DBPilot.
Click on the "Drivers" tab. Add
an entry for your particular driver
class. Fill in the sample URL and
leave the "Tool:" entry blank.
The next time you add a new Database URL
to the list on the left-hand side, you
can pick from the drop-down list your
driver, and it will suggest the sample
URL.
NO, the ODBC Driver should not be used for production work.
Don't even use it for developing. I hear lots of
"how come this JDBC stuff doesn't work?" I instinctively
ask, "are you using the jdbcodbc driver?" Invariably,
the answer is yes. Even the simplest things won't
work with that driver. Avoid it like the plague.
--
Paul Furbacher (TeamB)
Save time, search the archives: