Refactoring and CVS

2004-02-04 09:41:06 PM
jbuilder19
Hi,
Using JBuilder 9 how does the CVS integration handle refactoring? When e.g.
moving a class to a new package, does it delete the class from the old
package and add it to the new one ?
Regards
Bo

Re:Refactoring and CVS

"Bo Rasmussen" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
Using JBuilder 9 how does the CVS integration handle refactoring? When e.g.
moving a class to a new package, does it delete the class from the old
package and add it to the new one ?
No, CVS doesn't know that files "move" or get renamed; to CVS, they
will count as added (the new name) and missing (the old name) files.

Re:Refactoring and CVS

What about classes referencing the refactored class - will they be checked
out and edited?
"Tor Iver Wilhelmsen (TeamB)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
"Bo Rasmussen" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:

>Using JBuilder 9 how does the CVS integration handle refactoring? When
e.g.
>moving a class to a new package, does it delete the class from the old
>package and add it to the new one ?

No, CVS doesn't know that files "move" or get renamed; to CVS, they
will count as added (the new name) and missing (the old name) files.

{smallsort}

Re:Refactoring and CVS

"Bo Rasmussen" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
What about classes referencing the refactored class - will they be
checked
out and edited?
I'm not sure if it automatically checked out files (I think it doesn't)
but they'll definitely be edited if they can be. That's the whole point
of the refactoring functionality -- to automatically change not only the
class but also any references to it.
In the specific case of CVS it doesn't really matter, since it uses
non-locking version control. You don't need to "check out" a file
before editing it. If you're using VSS or some other system that
requires a check out, I think JBuilder doesn't do that automatically,
but I'm not certain.
--
Gillmer J. Derge (TeamB)

Re:Refactoring and CVS

news:40223929$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>What about classes referencing the refactored class - will they be
checked
>out and edited?

I'm not sure if it automatically checked out files (I think it doesn't)
but they'll definitely be edited if they can be. That's the whole point
of the refactoring functionality -- to automatically change not only the
class but also any references to it.

In the specific case of CVS it doesn't really matter, since it uses
non-locking version control. You don't need to "check out" a file
before editing it. If you're using VSS or some other system that
requires a check out, I think JBuilder doesn't do that automatically,
but I'm not certain.
You are correct that it does not automatically check them out. It
does however tell you the files that are read-only and gives a little
icon you can click to perform the checkout. However, once that is
done the icon doesn't appear to perform the refactoring or it was
still thinking and I didn't feel like waiting. I just performed the
refactor again and then it realized those files were in fact checked
out.
Jamie Cruz