Errors trying to locate Java Advanced Imaging library in IDE

2003-06-29 09:52:30 AM
jbuilder23
Hi. I am a newbie w/JBuilder. In JDeveloper it's easy to create a new library, and to locate one and include it in projects. In JBuilder, I can't figure it out.
I downloaded the JAI JRE and JDK, and added them to the default JDK library that comes with JBuilder. However, whenever I try to make a .java file that includes these classes I get nothing but errors. I'd really appreciate any help offered here. How do I even check to see what classes it sees? I've looked in the class browser, but I don't see the jai jars there. I see them in JDeveloper tho...

Re:Errors trying to locate Java Advanced Imaging library in IDE

Hi Bill:
Thanks for the reply. That's what's strange. I've worked w/java for a long time, so I know the jars have been included inside the /jbuilder9/lib/ext/ folder. I can see the jars there, and it's the jdk that is selected for the project. In fact, it's the DEFAULT jdk...
I had tried what you suggested, but that didn't work. I resolved this by finding the create project from current sources icon, and pointing it in the right direction.
But it truly bothers me that there is not any way of seeing how it's finding packages. I checked the project settings after I ran the wizard, and there was NOTHING different from the project I created that genned all the package not found errors. So I have it working now (well sort of), but I'm not any wiser. I still don't see how JBuilder is selecting/finding packages and classes..
"Bill Joy" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Tools | Configure JDKs

Either delete your old JDK definition and re-create it by pointing at
the JDK root directory, or else add the JARs by hand.

Then ensure that your project is using that JDK using Project | Project
Properties | Paths.

Note that in the newly released free JB9 Personal the configuration of
JDKs has been totally enabled, however in earlier versions of Personal
it was not.

news:3efe465e$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

Alan Akers wrote:
Hi Bill:

Thanks for the reply. That's what's strange. I've worked w/java for
a long time, so I know the jars have been included inside the
/jbuilder9/lib/ext/ folder. I can see the jars there, and it's the
jdk that is selected for the project. In fact, it's the DEFAULT
jdk...

I had tried what you suggested, but that didn't work. I resolved
this by finding the create project from current sources icon, and
pointing it in the right direction.

But it truly bothers me that there is not any way of seeing how it's
finding packages. I checked the project settings after I ran the
wizard, and there was NOTHING different from the project I created
that genned all the package not found errors. So I have it working
now (well sort of), but I'm not any wiser. I still don't see how
JBuilder is selecting/finding packages and classes..

>"alan akers" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>news:3efe465e$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>
>>Hi. I am a newbie w/JBuilder. In JDeveloper it's easy to create
>>a new
>
>library, and to locate one and include it in projects. In
>JBuilder, I can't figure it out.
>
>>I downloaded the JAI JRE and JDK, and added them to the default
>>JDK
>
>library that comes with JBuilder. However, whenever I try to make
>a ..java file that includes these classes I get nothing but errors.
>I'd really appreciate any help offered here. How do I even check
>to see what classes it sees? I've looked in the class browser, but
>I don't see the jai jars there. I see them in JDeveloper tho...

The jbuilder9/lib/ext directory is NOT a good place to put new
libraries. It is supposed to be used for "Opentools" that add features
to JBuilder itself.
So, put those jars somewhere else, then define a new library for them
(Tools | Configure Libraries), and then add that new library to your
project (Project | Project Properties, Paths tab, Required libraries
sub-tab).
--
Regards,
Lori Olson (TeamB)

Re:Errors trying to locate Java Advanced Imaging library in IDE

Hi Bill:
Heck. _I_ didn't put it there, the Sun INSTALLER put it there. So it this isn't a tested configuration, I'd have to wonder how well tested this product is. I've already found a number of bugs, and I'd consider this one, since this is part of a normal install by a SUN JDK/JRE. What's the point of having a library that is the DEFAULT LIBRARY used to compile all apps, if it can't act like a normal SUN lib? If this is a problem, then you should be talking w/Sun. Not handling the normal install of a JDK is sorta bizarre.
Other bugs:
1. There is no way to delete a file from a project. I right click on a .Java file, and there is no option to Remove. Now mayber it's someplace else, but I can't believe that useability testing would have this 'feature' make testers happy.
2. You cannot rename a project. You can _try_, but since it doesn't rename the output library, it's worthless. And when you try to change the output library, by selecting right click on project, Settings..., Paths..Libraries, click Edit, and change the library name, you get errors, since it doesn't cascade the changed library name.
Both of these errors worry me. The reason why we are evaluating JBuilder is because JDeveloper had too many bugs for us to feel comfortable building commercial apps with it. There's also a bug when I try to change the default formatting settings...it doesn't tab correctly.
These are things I've found in just ONE day of using JBuilder. If there are workarounds for these I'd like to hear them, but for a VERSION 9 you'd think these simple bugs would have been fixed by now... Worrisome...I do appreciate the timely responses here tho...
"Bill Joy" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
I don't understand where you are coming from on this one.

The \jbuilder9\lib\ext directory is where JBuilder looks by default for
OpenTools which extend JBuilder. This has absolutely nothing to do with
extending a JDK by adding JAI to it.

This also only changes the classpath that JBuilder runs with, it does
not affect your project classpath.

You also should not be doing this to the JDK which hosts JBuilder.
While this probably will work, it is not a tested configuration.

"Alan Akers" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news:3efe8b8d$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>Hi Bill:
>
>Thanks for the reply. That's what's strange. I've worked w/java for
a long time, so I know the jars have been included inside the
/jbuilder9/lib/ext/ folder. I can see the jars there, and it's the jdk
that is selected for the project. In fact, it's the DEFAULT jdk...

>I had tried what you suggested, but that didn't work. I resolved this
by finding the create project from current sources icon, and pointing it
in the right direction.

>But it truly bothers me that there is not any way of seeing how it's
finding packages. I checked the project settings after I ran the
wizard, and there was NOTHING different from the project I created that
genned all the package not found errors. So I have it working now (well
sort of), but I'm not any wiser. I still don't see how JBuilder is
selecting/finding packages and classes..

>"Bill Joy" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>>Tools | Configure JDKs
>>
>>Either delete your old JDK definition and re-create it by pointing at
>>the JDK root directory, or else add the JARs by hand.
>>
>>Then ensure that your project is using that JDK using Project |
Project
>>Properties | Paths.
>>
>>Note that in the newly released free JB9 Personal the configuration
of
>>JDKs has been totally enabled, however in earlier versions of
Personal
>>it was not.
>>

>>"alan akers" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>>news:3efe465e$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>>>
>>>Hi. I am a newbie w/JBuilder. In JDeveloper it's easy to create a
new
>>library, and to locate one and include it in projects. In JBuilder,
>>can't figure it out.
>>>
>>>I downloaded the JAI JRE and JDK, and added them to the default JDK
>>library that comes with JBuilder. However, whenever I try to make a
>>..java file that includes these classes I get nothing but errors.
I'd
>>really appreciate any help offered here. How do I even check to see
>>what classes it sees? I've looked in the class browser, but I don't
see
>>the jai jars there. I see them in JDeveloper tho...

Re:Errors trying to locate Java Advanced Imaging library in IDE

I think it should be perfectly understandable that JBuilder is only
certified on the JDK it ships with and that you modify that relationship
at your own risk.
If you want to use a JDK other than the one that JBuilder ships with,
then fine -- install it, modify to your heart's content, and point your
project at.
> [...]

>>>it was not.
>>>

>>>"alan akers" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>>>news:3efe465e$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>new
>>>library, and to locate one and include it in projects. In
JBuilder,
>>>can't figure it out.

JDK
>>>library that comes with JBuilder. However, whenever I try to make
>>>..java file that includes these classes I get nothing but errors.
>I'd
>>>really appreciate any help offered here. How do I even check to
see
>>>what classes it sees? I've looked in the class browser, but I
don't
>see
>>>the jai jars there. I see them in JDeveloper tho...

Re:Errors trying to locate Java Advanced Imaging library in IDE

Well, I'd agree w/you, except for the fact that I wasn't having this problem only with the JAI. When I attempted to created a new project, create a file with the same name as the file I wanted to add, and then copied and pasted the contents of a java file of the same name located somewhere else that I wanted to include in the project, I kept receiving compile errors, stating that it couldn't not find any of the javax imports...though the imports were exactly the same as those in the genned java file created by JBuilder, and the location of the file was obviously in the same place since I had pasted into it.
Now I realize that this isn't the best way to do this, but I would like to understand WHY doing this was a problem. I've never had this problem before, so it's hard for me to evaluate something when I don't understand why things don't work. The other posts I've made reflect this.

news:3eff42c4$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

> [...]
>>>
>>>But it truly bothers me that there is not any way of seeing how
it's
>>finding packages. I checked the project settings after I ran the
>>wizard, and there was NOTHING different from the project I created
that
>>genned all the package not found errors. So I have it working now
(well
>>sort of), but I'm not any wiser. I still don't see how JBuilder is
>>selecting/finding packages and classes..

>>Project

configuration
>>of
>>Personal

>>new
JBuilder,

JDK
>>I'd
>>see

Re:Errors trying to locate Java Advanced Imaging library in IDE

Projects don't inherit the classpath that JBuilder runs with. It would
certainly be limiting if that was true.
Each project controls its own classpath using a combination of a JDK
selection, selected libraries pointing at JARs or directories of class
files, and one or more source paths where their compiled classes go to a
single output path.
> [...]

>>>wizard, and there was NOTHING different from the project I created
>that
>>>genned all the package not found errors. So I have it working now
>(well
>>>sort of), but I'm not any wiser. I still don't see how JBuilder
is
>>>selecting/finding packages and classes..

>at

>>>Project

>configuration
>>>of
>>>Personal

>>>new
>JBuilder,

>JDK
>>>I'd
>see
>don't
>>>see

Re:Errors trying to locate Java Advanced Imaging library in IDE

I do appreciated your responses. Just wanted you to know this. That's all well and good, but the other IDE's we've worked w/in the past, at least allow us to _see_ what the classpaths are. Where can I see how JBuilder is making these decision? I can't even see the JAI that it now somehow 'see's, where before I imported the war, and tried _multiple_ ways of getting it to see it, (including adding the JAI jars to the PC default version of the Java JDK....it still did not work as you suggested I do before). The only way I got JBuilder to 'see' the JAI jars, was by 'importing' the war file as a project.
And I've SCOURED EVERYWHERE, and cannot see where it displays that it is actually using these jars. In JDeveloper it's obvious where all the libs are. This is something I've spent hours on w/JBuilder that I've never had this even arise as an issue before...
Could somewhere please tell me specifically where to find how JBuilder resolves it's classpath and libraries.
Thanks

news:3eff5d35$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

> [...]

>>there are workarounds for these I'd like to hear them, but for a
VERSION
>>9 you'd think these simple bugs would have been fixed by now...
>>Worrisome...I do appreciate the timely responses here tho...

>>for
>>with

>>for
>>jdk

>>this
>>it

>>it's
>>that
>>(well

>>at

>>configuration

>>JBuilder,

>>JDK
>>see
>>don't

Re:Errors trying to locate Java Advanced Imaging library in IDE

Use Search | Find Classes to see what is on your classpath. Obviously
Project | Project Properties | Paths defines it.
> [...]

>jdk...

>resolved
>>>this
>pointing
>>>it

>>>it's
>>>that
>>>(well
JBuilder
>is

>pointing
>>>at

Project |

>>>configuration

>create
>>>JBuilder,

>default
>>>JDK
>make
>errors.
>>>see
>>>don't

Re:Errors trying to locate Java Advanced Imaging library in IDE

Thanks. That specific replay answered my question. But is there no option to just see the actual classpath in text form? You know, like 'CLASSPATH=yada;yada'? Is it stored in a file somewhere that we can check for? That would help...
Thanks.

news:3eff7530$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

> [...]
Settings...,

>>when I

If
>>VERSION

>>default
>>do

>>does

JBuilder.
configuration.

>>w/java
>>the
>>jdk...

>>resolved
>>pointing

JBuilder
>>is

>>pointing

Project |

>>create

>>default
>>make
>>errors.

Re:Errors trying to locate Java Advanced Imaging library in IDE

I don't know if this will be an answer to your question but
if Help ->About JBuilder you will get a two tab dialog
box. If you choose the Info tab you will see a bunch of
system variables with class paths.
Maybe what you want is in there...
Alan Akers wrote:
> [...]

>>>does

>JBuilder.

>configuration.

>>>w/java

>>>the

>>>jdk...

>>>resolved

>>>pointing

>how

>the

>created

>now

>JBuilder
>
>>>is

>>>pointing

>Project |

>of

>>>create

>>>default

>>>make

>>>errors.

>check

Re:Errors trying to locate Java Advanced Imaging library in IDE

A command line is only seen when doing a Run or Debug.
> [...]

>configuration.

>>>w/java
>>>the
>>>jdk...

>>>resolved
>>>pointing

>how
>the
>created
>now
>JBuilder
>>>is

>>>pointing

>Project |

versions
>of

>>>create
In

>>>default
>>>make
>>>errors.
>check

Re:Errors trying to locate Java Advanced Imaging library in IDE

Hi Ken:
Thanks, that's definitely helpful of a sort, though it doesn't let me see the classpath for a particular project, it lets me see where it's looking for stuff generally. thanks!
I'd still like to know if there's a file somewhere that contains this info, just so I can respond at the evaluation meeting...

On 6/29/2003 at 7:44:42 PM, Alan Akers wrote:
But is there no option to just see the actual classpath in text form?
You know, like 'CLASSPATH=yada;yada'?
Stick this in your project and run it
public class ShowClassPath {
public static void main( String[] args ) {
System.out.println( "CLASSPATH=" +
System.getProperty( "CLASSPATH" ) );
}
}
--
Regards,
John McGrath [TeamB]

Re:Errors trying to locate Java Advanced Imaging library in IDE

Alan:
Run the program John gave you or any other project and you'll see the
command line with the classpath in the message pane. As the docs state,
the classpath is built up from the library and JDK entries in use at
that time and this is used at runtime, etc. to do the work.
It would be a trivial OpenTool to write so that you could select a
project and see the classpath but you could run your project a few
thousand times and get the same information and still be done before the
OT was published.
-Rich