how come JB can't find a file when using the Select In Project Pane option?

2004-07-06 11:13:31 PM
jbuilder3
Our project is quite large (well, by our standards :>), and I like to use
the CTRL+Enter to navigate in and around code, but when I need to use CVS to
check something out, I have to use the project pane :<, well, I like the
Select In Project Pane option from the file tabs above/beside the code in
the editor. However, sometimes when I try it I get the Node
"someJSPname.jsp" not found." error, but I know it's there cause one, I'm
looking at the code which JB brought up, and two, I know it's there cause I
can see it at runtime. Why can't JB faithfully select the source file in
the project pane?
Thanks.

Re:how come JB can't find a file when using the Select In Project Pane option?

Flip wrote:
Our project is quite large (well, by our standards :>), and I like to use
the CTRL+Enter to navigate in and around code, but when I need to use CVS to
check something out, I have to use the project pane :<, well, I like the
Select In Project Pane option from the file tabs above/beside the code in
the editor. However, sometimes when I try it I get the Node
"someJSPname.jsp" not found." error, but I know it's there cause one, I'm
looking at the code which JB brought up, and two, I know it's there cause I
can see it at runtime. Why can't JB faithfully select the source file in
the project pane?

Thanks.

If you have a project+set of steps to reproduce this problem, then post
it in Quality Central.
--
Regards,
Lori Olson [TeamB]

Re:how come JB can't find a file when using the Select In Project Pane option?

If you have a project+set of steps to reproduce this problem, then post
it in Quality Central.
I would love to, but our proj is HUGE.
However, I think I did narrow it down just now. I thought there might be a
problem with first loading up on JB and nothing in memory and it turns out
to be the case (or so I think so :>). When I open JBX Ent, I have some
files already open on the right hand side (or top, depending on your layout
:>), and when I hit the show in project pane option, nothing is loaded (the
structure pane is all compressed only showing the top level class node, and
the web app node, some archive and some ant nodes). However, if I manually
dive down into the structure and open things up so that I force JB to
enumerate the files in the project (trying to force JB to read the file
system maybe?), then once the node I know where the file exists is opened
and then everything closed again, when I reproduce the Show In Project Pane,
it is able to find the file.
A long story, sorry. But I think I got it, unfortunately it appears to be a
JB bug. Maybe object initialization bug?
Thanks.

{smallsort}

Re:how come JB can't find a file when using the Select In Project Pane option?

Note that you can use the Team menu to do your checkin/out for an open file.
You do not have to use the Project pane context menu.
Apparently you are assuming that JBuilder is scanning the entire source path
when you do a "select in Project pane". It does not do that.
If the Project pane tree node has already been exposed (by expanding its
parent node at some point), the "select" will find it immediately.
If it is not exposed, it takes the relative path of the file (e.g. its
package name) and attempts to match it with the tree nodes in the Project
pane.
So for this to work, you should have Automatic Packages enabled and be
trying to access a file which is under one of those tree nodes (generally
meaning it should be a Java file). JSP files generally will not be seen
unless they are in an already expanded tree node.