critical IDE error, cant view anything

2005-07-21 06:16:33 AM
jbuilder14
Starting my Developer 2005 IDE today, the toolbar indicates that it has loaded my project (that I was using yesterday) but noting is shown in the IDE.
I can see the title and menu bars but nothing else. :( (no toolbar, no source pane etc) selecting view/pane/source etc has no effect.
I closed jbuilder and removed the project it was loading, and restarted jbuilder, it had the same issue (nothing but the menu)
I was able to create a new project and app from the menu but cant see them in the IDE.
So, I exited it again, and this time started it from the console exe.
Now, I see some execptions (listed below)
Can someone give me a hint as to how to solve this? I need to resolve the issue asap as this has brought all development to a screeching halt.
Starting jbuilder and creating a new project gave:
Disabling offscreen DirectDraw acceleration
JBuilder 2005 Developer
Copyright (c) 1996 - 2004 Borland Software Corporation. All rights reserved.
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.borland.primetime.ide.ws.window.WindowUtil.setUnremovable(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.primetime.ide.ws.actions.ActionUtil.openWindow(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.primetime.ide.workspace.WindowLayouter.openView0(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.primetime.ide.workspace.WindowLayouter.openView(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.primetime.ide.workspace.Workspace.openView(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.primetime.ide.BrowserUIImpl.setContentPaneVisible(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.primetime.ide.Browser.setContentPaneVisible(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.primetime.ide.Browser.openNodes(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.primetime.ide.ProjectView.setActiveProject(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.primetime.ide.ProjectView.setActiveProject(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.jbuilder.wizard.newproject.c.w(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.jbuilder.wizard.newproject.ProjectWizard.nodeWizardFinished(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.primetime.wizard.NodePropertyWizard.finish(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.jbuilder.wizard.newproject.ProjectWizard.finish(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.primetime.wizard.WizardDialog.x(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.primetime.wizard.WizardDialog$3.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:1786)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton$ForwardActionEvents.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:1839)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:420)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:258)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(BasicButtonListener.java:245)
at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:5100)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:3615)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:1627)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:3483)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:3198)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:3128)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:1613)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:201)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:151)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:141)
at java.awt.Dialog$1.run(Dialog.java:540)
at java.awt.Dialog.show(Dialog.java:561)
at com.borland.primetime.ui.DefaultDialog.show(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.primetime.wizard.WizardDialog.show(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.primetime.wizard.WizardAction.invokeWizard(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.primetime.wizard.WizardAction.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.primetime.ide.GalleryDialog$0.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:178)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:201)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:151)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:145)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:137)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:100)
Adding an application to the project gives:
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.borland.primetime.ide.ws.window.WindowUtil.setUnremovable(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.primetime.ide.ws.actions.ActionUtil.openWindow(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.primetime.ide.workspace.WindowLayouter.openView0(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.primetime.ide.workspace.WindowLayouter.openView(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.primetime.ide.workspace.Workspace.openView(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.primetime.ide.BrowserUIImpl.setStructurePaneVisible(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.primetime.ide.Browser.setStructurePaneVisible(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.primetime.ide.StructureView.setStructureComponent(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.primetime.ide.ContentView.a(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.primetime.ide.ContentView$3.setSelectedIndex(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JTabbedPane.setSelectedIndexImpl(JTabbedPane.java:468)
at javax.swing.JTabbedPane.setSelectedIndex(JTabbedPane.java:461)
at com.borland.primetime.ide.ContentView$4.setSelectedIndex(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.primetime.ide.ContentView.a(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.primetime.ide.ContentManager.a(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.primetime.ide.TabbedContentManager2$k_.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:178)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:201)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:151)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:145)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:137)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:100)
Setting the view/pane/project to visible gives:
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.borland.primetime.ide.ws.window.WindowUtil.setUnremovable(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.primetime.ide.ws.actions.ActionUtil.openWindow(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.primetime.ide.workspace.WindowLayouter.openView0(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.primetime.ide.workspace.WindowLayouter.openView(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.primetime.ide.workspace.Workspace.openView(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.primetime.ide.BrowserUIImpl.setProjectPaneVisible(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.primetime.ide.Browser.setProjectPaneVisible(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.primetime.ide.BrowserView$3.setState(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.primetime.ide.BrowserStateAction.setState(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.primetime.actions.StateAction.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.primetime.actions.ActionMenuItem$2.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:1786)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton$ForwardActionEvents.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:1839)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:420)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:258)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(AbstractButton.java:289)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.doClick(BasicMenuItemUI.java:1113)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$MouseInputHandler.mouseReleased(BasicMenuItemUI.java:943)
at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(AWTEventMulticaster.java:231)
at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:5100)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:3615)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:1627)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:3483)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:3198)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:3128)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:1613)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:201)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:151)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:145)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:137)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:100)
java.lang.IllegalStateException
at com.borland.primetime.ide.ws.containers.LayerLayout.getConstraints(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.primetime.ide.ws.containers.BookmarkContainer.showIconified(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.primetime.ide.ws.actions.ActionUtil.setWindowActive(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.primetime.ide.workspace.WindowLayouter.setViewActive(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.primetime.ide.workspace.Workspace.setViewActive(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.primetime.ide.BrowserUIImpl.a(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.primetime.ide.BrowserUIImpl.setProjectPaneActive(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.primetime.ide.Browser.setProjectPaneActive(Unknown Source)
[...]

Re:critical IDE error, cant view anything

Usually it means that your workspace settings are toast. Please try
removing %HOME%\.jbuilder2005\workspaces folder.
- Alexey.
--
Alexey N. Solofnenko {trelony at gmail.com}
home: trelony.cjb.net/

Re:critical IDE error, cant view anything

Ouch.
I hate having to recustomize my workspace...
I use 2 monitors so I have stuff in strange layout and it takes a bit to make it layout perfect..
Thanks for the tip, it did work
I hope this doesn't happen often :(
Now, for an enhancement to the next version... the IDE should catch this exception and display a message box asking if it can reset the workspace to correct the issue.
Cheers !
"Alexey N. Solofnenko" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Usually it means that your workspace settings are toast. Please try
removing %HOME%\.jbuilder2005\workspaces folder.

- Alexey.

--
Alexey N. Solofnenko {trelony at gmail.com}
home: trelony.cjb.net/

{smallsort}

Re:critical IDE error, cant view anything

May I suggest backing the directory up? ;-)
- Alexey.

--
Alexey N. Solofnenko
home: trelony.cjb.net/

Re:critical IDE error, cant view anything

You can do View | Workspaces and choose the default workspace (or some other
workspace that you have created).
There is also a Save Workspace As option so you can make a backup.