JBuilder 2006 and Vista

2007-06-21 12:33:06 AM
jbuilder14
Has anybody been able to run JBuilder 2006 on Vista? First, the setup will
not work at all in Vista, so I installed JBuilder on XP and copied the
directory.
It works fine with one big problem: the editor does not refresh correctly.
If I move through the code, the editor leaves garbage on the screen. If I
minimize and maximize, it is OK. Now, the interesting thing is that it works
fine if I start JBuilder through Remote Desktop and it works even if I start
working on the machine after I started it through Remote Desktop.
I tried to change the resolution, compatibility modes, but it does not want
to work if started normally.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

Re:JBuilder 2006 and Vista

lmc wrote:
Has anybody been able to run JBuilder 2006 on Vista? First, the setup will
not work at all in Vista, so I installed JBuilder on XP and copied the
directory.
It works fine with one big problem: the editor does not refresh correctly.
If I move through the code, the editor leaves garbage on the screen. If I
minimize and maximize, it is OK. Now, the interesting thing is that it
works fine if I start JBuilder through Remote Desktop and it works even if
I start working on the machine after I started it through Remote Desktop.
I tried to change the resolution, compatibility modes, but it does not
want to work if started normally.

Any ideas?
It sounds like the problems are related to Swing issues under Vista (the
Aero user interface in Vista probably broke a few things along the way).
What you might want to try is to download the latest release of JDK 5 from
Sun and then modify the configuration files (*.config) in the bin
directory of JBuilder to point to the newly-installed JDK rather than the
one shipped with JBuilder. No guarantee it will work, of course, but it's
probably your best bet.
--
Kevin Dean [TeamB]
Dolphin Data Development Ltd.

Re:JBuilder 2006 and Vista

Thanks Kevin, but it did not help... Any other ideas?
"Kevin Dean [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
lmc wrote:

>Has anybody been able to run JBuilder 2006 on Vista? First, the setup will
>not work at all in Vista, so I installed JBuilder on XP and copied the
>directory.
>It works fine with one big problem: the editor does not refresh correctly.
>If I move through the code, the editor leaves garbage on the screen. If I
>minimize and maximize, it is OK. Now, the interesting thing is that it
>works fine if I start JBuilder through Remote Desktop and it works even if
>I start working on the machine after I started it through Remote Desktop.
>I tried to change the resolution, compatibility modes, but it does not
>want to work if started normally.
>
>Any ideas?

It sounds like the problems are related to Swing issues under Vista (the
Aero user interface in Vista probably broke a few things along the way).

What you might want to try is to download the latest release of JDK 5 from
Sun and then modify the configuration files (*.config) in the bin
directory of JBuilder to point to the newly-installed JDK rather than the
one shipped with JBuilder. No guarantee it will work, of course, but it's
probably your best bet.

--
Kevin Dean [TeamB]
Dolphin Data Development Ltd.
www.datadevelopment.com/

info.borland.com/newsgroups/guide.html

{smallsort}

Re:JBuilder 2006 and Vista

lmc wrote:
Thanks Kevin, but it did not help... Any other ideas?

See the recent posting in this group called "Solution for running
JBuilder 2006 with Java 6 JDK" by Stefan Schmaltz. I haven't tried it
(Mac OSX for me), but it looks like it is very complete.
--
Regards,
Lori Olson [TeamB]

Re:JBuilder 2006 and Vista