Assertion Failed error while scanning fonts (Tools / Preferences...)

2004-01-01 08:08:23 PM
jbuilder6
Hi,
I have downloaded JBuilderX Personal this weekend, and installed without any
problem.
But I cannot use the "Tools / Preferences..." easily.
If I select the "Browser / Look & Feel" or "Editor / Display" option on the
left tree, it start scanning fonts.. and raises an "Microsoft Visual C++
Runtime Library" error, and the only solution is abort the process - wich
kills JBuilder.
This is the description:
"Assertion failed!
Program C:\JBuilder\bin\JBuilderW.exe
File: ../../../src/share/native/sun/awt/font/t2k/t2kstrm.c
Line: 132
Expression: pos <= t->maxPos
For information on how your program can use an assertion
failure, see the Visual C++ documentation on asserts.
(Press Retry to debug the application - JIT must be enabled)"
This kind of problem always occured with JBuilder (every version that I had
used), but now it is faster, and I cannot cancel the "Font scanner" before
the error occurs.
But if this is not a problem with JBuilder (maybe with some library that it
uses), I would like to ask for a workaround, disabling the font scanner, or
something like. And also ask for Borland to put some kind of "error
checking", avoiding this kind of problem with JBuilder.
Thanks in advance.
Alessandro

Re:Assertion Failed error while scanning fonts (Tools / Preferences...)

Hi Alessandro,
I had the same problem, but I've got the Ent version, but I think the same
solution will apply. Look at the posting in this group by Bill Joy and
myself 24th December entitled Re: JBuilderX frequently crashes in Tools |
Preferences
I'm sorry my original posting is not there, I tried to cancel it when I
found the solution and was going to re-post the problem and the solution
later. Bill Joy responded so quickly, but my original posting is contained
beneath his advice, which I basically used, but slightly modified. The
details are in my response to him.
If like me you have to delete a few fonts either side of the problem, they
can be recovered later from the recycle bin until you finally establish the
problem font.
Arth
"Alessandro Fragnani de Morais" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

[...]

Well.. no success...
The only way was to KILL 3 of my installed fonts ....
Not a big problem.. since were fonts that I wasn't using.. but.. it's a
annoying problem.. that Borland should take a look
Thanks
Alessandro

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>Hi,
>
>I have downloaded JBuilderX Personal this weekend, and installed without
any
>problem.
>
>But I cannot use the "Tools / Preferences..." easily.
>
>If I select the "Browser / Look & Feel" or "Editor / Display" option on
the
>left tree, it start scanning fonts.. and raises an "Microsoft Visual
C++
>Runtime Library" error, and the only solution is abort the process -
wich
>kills JBuilder.
>
>This is the description:
>
>"Assertion failed!
>
>Program C:\JBuilder\bin\JBuilderW.exe
>File: ../../../src/share/native/sun/awt/font/t2k/t2kstrm.c
>Line: 132
>
>Expression: pos <= t->maxPos
>
>For information on how your program can use an assertion
>failure, see the Visual C++ documentation on asserts.
>
>(Press Retry to debug the application - JIT must be enabled)"
>
>This kind of problem always occured with JBuilder (every version that I
had
>used), but now it is faster, and I cannot cancel the "Font scanner"
before
>the error occurs.
>
>But if this is not a problem with JBuilder (maybe with some library that
it
>uses), I would like to ask for a workaround, disabling the font scanner,
or
>something like. And also ask for Borland to put some kind of "error
>checking", avoiding this kind of problem with JBuilder.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Alessandro

{smallsort}

Alessandro Fragnani de Morais wrote:
Well.. no success...

The only way was to KILL 3 of my installed fonts ....

Not a big problem.. since were fonts that I wasn't using.. but.. it's a
annoying problem.. that Borland should take a look

Thanks

Borland doesn't fix JDK problems, and this one is a JDK problem. You
can search for it on Sun's bug parade for Java. Vote for it if you want
it fixed.
--
Regards,
Lori Olson (TeamB)

Lori M Olson (TeamB) wrote:
Alessandro Fragnani de Morais wrote:

>Well.. no success...
>
>The only way was to KILL 3 of my installed fonts ....
>
>Not a big problem.. since were fonts that I wasn't using.. but.. it's a
>annoying problem.. that Borland should take a look
>
>Thanks

Borland doesn't fix JDK problems, and this one is a JDK problem. You
can search for it on Sun's bug parade for Java. Vote for it if you want
it fixed.

This thread set me to idle wondering -- idle in
the sense that I haven't lifted a finger to investigate
what I'm about to ask.
I'm wondering if a small utility could be written to
determine which fonts may be causing the problem.
Then, if users encounter the symptoms described
in this thread, they could be encouraged to run
the utility (an Open Tool?) and take appropriate
action.
Does this make sense?
--
Paul Furbacher (TeamB)
Save time, search the archives:

"Paul Furbacher" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I'm wondering if a small utility could be written to
determine which fonts may be causing the problem.
Then, if users encounter the symptoms described
in this thread, they could be encouraged to run
the utility (an Open Tool?) and take appropriate
action.
As far as I know the utility is already built into JBuilder. If you run
it with a console window, it should display the name of each font before
it's scanned. The last one printed is the broken one.
Arthur Ore reported problems with that, but I think there was some
confusion about whether the last font printed is the first broken one or
the last working one. It's the former. Arthur seemed to be assuming
the latter.
--
Gillmer J. Derge (TeamB)

Re:Assertion Failed error while scanning fonts (Tools / Preferences...)

Hi Gillmer,
The thing that threw me initially, making me think that I had a slightly
different problem is that JBuilderX Ent didn't display the list of fonts
when run from the console. I eventually found on Sun's web site that you
have to add :-
vmparam -Dsun.java2d.debugfonts=true
to jdk.config
We at least that's how it manifested itself on my PC.
Arth
news:3ff4cb9e$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>I'm wondering if a small utility could be written to
>determine which fonts may be causing the problem.
>Then, if users encounter the symptoms described
>in this thread, they could be encouraged to run
>the utility (an Open Tool?) and take appropriate
>action.

As far as I know the utility is already built into JBuilder. If you run
it with a console window, it should display the name of each font before
it's scanned. The last one printed is the broken one.

Arthur Ore reported problems with that, but I think there was some
confusion about whether the last font printed is the first broken one or
the last working one. It's the former. Arthur seemed to be assuming
the latter.

--
Gillmer J. Derge (TeamB)

Re:Assertion Failed error while scanning fonts (Tools / Preferences...)

Lori,
Sorry, but I didn't say that it was a Borland problem (ok.. I thought that
should be.. but since I wasn't right about it.. I decided to not write)...
What I say is that if this annoying problem exist and causes JBuilder to be
killed, well, even not being a Borland problem, is a Borland product that is
being harmed, and is Borland face that is being kicked.. not Sun's.
If SUN routine doesn't work as expected, I guess to be more inteligent to
Borland to write a newer, and avoid this kind of problem.
I don't want to start a thread that talks about "Who is the bad"... I'm just
saying that if there is a problem, it should be investigate.. and if the
reason is found.. it MUST be fixed.. and if the problem is not caused by
myself.. and the real responsible don't want / care about.. then "I" must
fix it..
Alessandro