How do you import a project from JB4 to JB9???

2004-10-04 06:26:09 AM
jbuilder17
Hi,
I have an old project in JB4 that I want
to bring into JB9. Is there a import
function or tool somewhere???
Ken

Re:How do you import a project from JB4 to JB9???

Ken Warner wrote:

I have an old project in JB4 that I want
to bring into JB9. Is there a import function or tool somewhere???

Ken

Have you just tried to open up that old project with File | Open Project?
--
Regards,
Lori Olson [TeamB]

Re:How do you import a project from JB4 to JB9???

I think I tried something like that with another
project and things sort of got confused. I
can't remember clearly but it seems like the old
project tree stayed under JB4 when I really
wanted it to be contained under the JB9 project
tree. Also, I think I remember compile and
runtime issues where the earlier compiler
was used in JB9.
I have both JB4 and JB9 on my disk in separate
folders...
Like I said, I can't really remember and
I'm a little apprehensive of trying because
of what happend last time.
What I'd like to do is just copy the project's
folder from JB4 to JB9 and then have JB9 fix
all the paths in the .jpx files when I open
the project. Is that possible???
Lori M Olson [TeamB] wrote:
Ken Warner wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have an old project in JB4 that I want
>to bring into JB9. Is there a import function or tool somewhere???
>
>Ken

Have you just tried to open up that old project with File | Open Project?

{smallsort}

Re:How do you import a project from JB4 to JB9???

The "project tree" issue does not make sense to me. The default <user
home>/jbproject root for projects has been the same pattern in all versions
of jbuilder.
Possibly the compile/runtime issues are due to the .library files for JDKs
and other library types not being imported from the settings directory of a
prior version of JBuilder. (There is such an import feature in JBuilder
2005.) If the specific JDK library name recorded in the project is not
present, then you get the default JDK (the one JBuilder is hosted upon).
To fix that, just use Tools | Configure JDKs to point at the old JDK and
have it create the library in the settings directory of the new JBuilder
before you open the project.
If you want to create a new project file then it is extremely easy: File |
New | Project | Project for Existing Code. Just point it at the root
directory of your existing project tree. It will create another project
file there for you and fill in the project paths automatically by scanning
the tree.
"Ken Warner" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I think I tried something like that with another
project and things sort of got confused. I
can't remember clearly but it seems like the old
project tree stayed under JB4 when I really
wanted it to be contained under the JB9 project
tree. Also, I think I remember compile and
runtime issues where the earlier compiler
was used in JB9.

I have both JB4 and JB9 on my disk in separate
folders...

Like I said, I can't really remember and
I'm a little apprehensive of trying because
of what happend last time.

What I'd like to do is just copy the project's
folder from JB4 to JB9 and then have JB9 fix
all the paths in the .jpx files when I open the project. Is that
possible???

Re:How do you import a project from JB4 to JB9???

Sorry -- my use of the term project tree just describes
how I make my work folder look.
JB9\projects\project1\src
\classes
\etc.
\project2\src
\classes
\etc.
\etc...
I use the same form for all JB installations.
What I want to do is copy -- for example --
JB4\projects\project1 into JB9\projects\projects1
Bill Joy wrote:
The "project tree" issue does not make sense to me. The default <user
home>/jbproject root for projects has been the same pattern in all versions
of jbuilder.

Possibly the compile/runtime issues are due to the .library files for JDKs
and other library types not being imported from the settings directory of a
prior version of JBuilder. (There is such an import feature in JBuilder
2005.) If the specific JDK library name recorded in the project is not
present, then you get the default JDK (the one JBuilder is hosted upon).

This is what I was asking -- except for JB9.
To fix that, just use Tools | Configure JDKs to point at the old JDK and
have it create the library in the settings directory of the new JBuilder
before you open the project.

If you want to create a new project file then it is extremely easy: File |
New | Project | Project for Existing Code. Just point it at the root
directory of your existing project tree. It will create another project
file there for you and fill in the project paths automatically by scanning
the tree.
This I know...
What I usually do when I want to move an old project from JB4 into JB9 is to
copy the source files into the new project folder and then recreate the
project -- which is tedious but not impossible.

news:41609cc9$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

On 10/4/2004 at 1:11:47 PM, Ken Warner wrote:
What I usually do when I want to move an old project from JB4 into JB9
is to copy the source files into the new project folder and then
recreate the project -- which is tedious but not impossible.
Did you try copying the project file from the JB4 directory to the JB9
directory, and then open the copy of the old project file with JB9?
--
Regards,
John McGrath [TeamB]

Re:How do you import a project from JB4 to JB9???

No... I think I mentioned that I have tried this in
the past and made a mess. I mentioned that I can't
exactly remember why because it was a while ago
and I stopped doing things that way because of
my previous bad experience.