JBuilder 6 and Max OS X Tiger

2005-05-12 01:22:44 AM
jbuilder24
Hello,
yesterday I got a new Mac with Mac OS X 10.4 alias Tiger. After
installing JBuilder Professional I was not able to start the IDE. I had
no chance to enter a serial number or register jbuilder.
Any ideas?
Martin
--
Phone: +49-89-65 30 95 63 Fax: +49-89-65 30 95 64
WWW: www.cresd.de

Re:JBuilder 6 and Max OS X Tiger

Martin Gäckler wrote:
yesterday I got a new Mac with Mac OS X 10.4 alias Tiger. After
installing JBuilder Professional I was not able to start the IDE. I had
no chance to enter a serial number or register jbuilder.
Look in the archives of the jbuilder.macintosh newsgroup
for launching JBuilder 7. At some point, Apple changed
some aspects of launching Java apps, and actually posted
a solution for JBuilder 7. It may apply to JBuilder 6.
However, you mentioned that you were hoping to use JBuilder 6
Professional. I haven't done a feature-by-feature comparison
of it with JBuilder 2005 Foundation, but you might find that
much or more of what you need is in the latter which to my
knowledge does not present problems in Tiger.
--
Paul Furbacher (TeamB)
Save time, search the archives:

Paul Furbacher [TeamB] schrieb:
Look in the archives of the jbuilder.macintosh newsgroup
for launching JBuilder 7. At some point, Apple changed
some aspects of launching Java apps, and actually posted
a solution for JBuilder 7. It may apply to JBuilder 6.
I did not found any solution on google. But I found myself:
Allthough I installed english version of JBuilder, the installer has
copied the german version of file
/Developer/JBuilder6/JBuilder.framework/bin/jdk.config onto my hard
disk. That file had a syntax error just before the line
vmparam -Xverify:none
someone has forgotten to add a comment indicator at the line
# F~_r alle Anwendungen Standard-VM-Einstellungen erzwingen
^
+- this sign was missing
Unfortunately this is not the whole story:
After correcting this bug, jbuilder could launch the JavaVM, but this
will throw some exceptions and then terminate.
The solution for that problem I found:
logon as root:
cd /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions
rm CurrentJDK
ln -s 1.3.1 CurrentJDK
This will force the usage of JDK 1.3.1 instead of 1.4.2.
Now I can launch JBuilder without any problem 8-)
However, you mentioned that you were hoping to use JBuilder 6
Professional. I haven't done a feature-by-feature comparison
of it with JBuilder 2005 Foundation, but you might find that
much or more of what you need is in the latter which to my
knowledge does not present problems in Tiger.
The foundation is missing some features available in the professional
version. But I'm thinking of upgrading to JBuilder 2005 Developer, in
germany this will cost only 347,-- Euro at the Borland Webstore.
Martin
--
Phone: +49-89-65 30 95 63 Fax: +49-89-65 30 95 64
WWW: www.cresd.de
S-Mail: Freibadstr. 14, D-81543 München
PGP-Key: www.cresd.de/edv/pgpkey.txt

{smallsort}

Re:JBuilder 6 and Max OS X Tiger

Good work, and thanks for documenting it.