newbie - silent post

2004-02-04 09:55:19 PM
jbuilder7
I first posted this in atozedsoftware.intraweb but it is really a javascript
question - hope this is the right place for it.
I want to be able to send a short piece of information from a webpage to the
webserver without submitting the whole page and without expecting a
response.
The purpose is to send a 'heartbeat' from the page to let the server know
that the page is still active and not disturb the page in the process. I
currently do this with ActiveX but want to be able to use browsers other
than IE.
Thanks IA, Simon

Re:newbie - silent post

This is completely and utterly the wrong group for that question. However,
one thing does come to mind and that is the javascript:window.open()
function to open a "heartbeat" page from the server and for said page to
then close itself using javascript:window.close(). The problem with that
approach is that the user may get distracted by a popup window and the
cursor may lose focus.
--
Check out our latest white papers at
BladeNET Scores With Borland Enterprise Tools
"Simon" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
[...]

Sorry for the mis-post.
I have started using an invisible IFrame to do the job and I think it will
work.
Thanks, Simon

{smallsort}

Re:newbie - silent post

That sounds like a better idea than mine. Should work fine.