Re: Borland plans separate company for Delphi, JBuilder, C++Builder,InterBase,JDataStoreand other developer products...

2006-02-15 08:25:15 AM
jbuilder6
While agreeing in general with this (and I think that JBuilder is much
more user friendly), but I have some notes:
5. Project switching is one of the worst things in JBuilder (and there
is a tooltip on a file tab in Eclipse saying where the file is from).
For example, I want to put a break point: simple double clicking on a
file opens the file, but changes active project, so I cannot set break
point there and I switch project back, but the file is not opened any
more! The only way is to "find class" and open it in the current project.
Plus there are real project dependencies in Eclipse.
6. While it is often unnecessary, I like to have different windows setup
for debugging (and I added some views from Java into Debug mode, so I
can do both while debugging).
- Alexey.
Paul Furbacher [TeamB] wrote:
Lori M Olson [TeamB] wrote:

>Patrick J. Maloney wrote:
>>
>>Eclipse any good?
>>
>If you have used JBuilder for a while, and like it, then Eclipse is a
>huge step backward in usability.

You can say that again! Few things are better in Eclipse. One
colleague maintains that version control integration is better.
But that may be one of just a few things.

Over the past few days, while I've been waiting for a bit of extra
RAM to arrive, I've had to run Eclipse on a Core Duo iMac. Yes, it
seems to use less RAM than JBuilder. (Would I choose an IDE based on
that alone?) Eclipse is the same on OS X as it is on other platforms;
I'm using 3.2. The frustrations I'm experiencing aren't because I'm
working on OS X.

Some glaring deficiencies:

1. Very long main menus. Yes, you have to get used to each
program's menu system, but Eclipse's seems to be very poorly
organized. The JBuilder team has worked hard each version
to pare down menus, to group them more efficiently, and so on.
There's no evidence that anyone is trying at eclipse.org.

2. Often, there's only one way to get to some functionality.
Example: I wanted to do a "collapse all" in code folding.
Where is code folding in the menu bar menus? Couldn't find
it. Finally, out of sheer luck, I stumbled on right-clicking
the left-hand gutter of the Editor. Up pops a context menu
with code folding options. Yikes, that was a productivity
killer. JBuilder famously offers several ways to get to the
functionality you want.

3. JUnit integration: JBuilder's Message Pane ***tells*** you
which passed and which failed. Eclipse? You have to figure
that out from the log output. Another productivity killer.

4. I'm using Middlegen, an ORM GUI which must be started from
an ANT task. Okay, in JBuilder, I would just click the "middlegen"
target in the "build.xml" file and go. Middlegen, a Swing app,
just runs.

Eclipse: oh thank you for SWT! Turns out that the are platform
incompatibilities which on OS X prevent you from running both
SWT and AWT code in the same VM. There's a really long bug
report at eclipse.org on this, involving Eclipse folks, Apple
Java folks, and well, can I say ***frustrated*** Eclipse on OS X
users. Solution: run ANT from the command line. Okay, but what's
the point of having the can-opener IDE in your toolbox?

5. Project switching in JBuilder causes you to focus only on
files that are open in the currently selected project.
Eclipse: not only don't the source file tabs not have a
tooltip which tells you the entire path, there's no "Select
in Project Pane" nor "Properties" when right-clicking on
the file's tab. You have to find the file in the Navigator
or the Package Explorer and right-click on that node. Good luck
finding it if you have been working across two or three projects!

6. Eclipse has views and perspectives out the wazoo, but why?
Here's a killer: the Java and Debug perspectives are separate.
Why?! In JBuilder, they're the same thing.

7. Keymap editing is tedious. I couldn't find the equivalent
of JBuilder Error Insight feature's "Go to next error" (Alt-return)
for some 5 minutes. Had to call up the Help, search for key
bindings, but took some searching down the page "Go to Next Problem".
Right "problem" not "error". Go back to the "Preferences>Keys>
Navigate category and there's no "Go to Next Problem". There's a
"Next". Next what?! The only way I figured that this is the same
thing described in the Help was the key binding -- Command-dot.
Whoa! That was productive. Command-dot>Command-1 (Quick fix)
and maybe I'm finally back to work.

8. Speaking of Help. Where are the Help buttons in Eclipse's
dialogs?! There are none. Hitting F1 doesn't bring it up either.
So, you got a question? Close your dialog (or dialogs depending
upon how deep into it you are) and summon up Help from the menubar.
Whooppee!

9. ... oh forget it.

I could go on and on and on. The point is ... I have a talk to
give tonight at our local JUG. The extra memory just arrived
by Fed Ex, and JBuilder hums. Guess which IDE I'll use from now
until I'm done talking today?

As my colleague, a former TeamB member who has been trying real
hard to Eclipse himself said to me the other day: "... I have
mentioned before how "bolted together" the product feels." Yes,
he had said that, and I couldn't agree more after working with
it for the past half week.

--
Alexey N. Solofnenko
home: trelony.cjb.net/