How to pronounce "Xerces"?

2003-11-13 02:55:00 PM
jbuilder12
Hi,
A simple question,
As you know Xerces -Apache Xerces XML Parser - is the famous
xml parser , but what's its pronuciation?
TIA.

Re:How to pronounce "Xerces"?

"Chris" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
As you know Xerces -Apache Xerces XML Parser - is the famous
xml parser , but what's its pronuciation?
Since the "X" most likely is supposed to be the Greek letter Kappa,
it's probably something like "Khersez".

Re:How to pronounce "Xerces"?

"Tor Iver Wilhelmsen (TeamB)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Since the "X" most likely is supposed to be the Greek letter Kappa,
it's probably something like "Khersez".
I don't know Greek, but why would it be kappa and not chi? In English
"Xerxes" is typically pronounced zerk'-seas. I imagine Xerces would be
zer'-seas, but I'm only guessing.
--
Gillmer J. Derge (TeamB)

{smallsort}

Re:How to pronounce "Xerces"?

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>Since the "X" most likely is supposed to be the Greek letter Kappa,
>it's probably something like "Khersez".

I don't know Greek, but why would it be kappa and not chi? In English
"Xerxes" is typically pronounced zerk'-seas. I imagine Xerces would be
zer'-seas, but I'm only guessing.

I do know classical and Koine Greek, and you are right Gilmer K is kappa, X
is chi, pronounced "ch" as in 'loch' nest.

Re:How to pronounce "Xerces"?

"pNichols" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Gillmer J. Derge (TeamB) wrote:

>"Tor Iver Wilhelmsen (TeamB)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>>Since the "X" most likely is supposed to be the Greek letter Kappa,
>>it's probably something like "Khersez".
>
>I don't know Greek, but why would it be kappa and not chi? In English
>"Xerxes" is typically pronounced zerk'-seas. I imagine Xerces would be
>zer'-seas, but I'm only guessing.

I do know classical and Koine Greek, and you are right Gilmer K is kappa,
is chi, pronounced "ch" as in 'loch' nest.
Well, related to Xerces (the king of Persia in former times) in greek
language, it's written like this:
- Xerces in greek = "ksi-epsilon-ro-ksi-ita-sigma" and it would be
pronounced (in german sounding here) = ks-e-r-ks-i-s
thereis in the greek word for Xerces no "kappa" and also no "chi" inside,
but "ksi" instead twice. Note also that the greek "X = chi" is in greece
not pronounced as the german or english hard "X" at all. - So all in all the
correct translated pronounciation would be in german "ks-e-r-ks-i-s",
written in english "Xerces".
-Valentino

Re:How to pronounce "Xerces"?

On 11/13/2003 at 8:57:13 AM, Gillmer J. Derge (TeamB) wrote:
I imagine Xerces would be zer'-seas, but I'm only guessing.
I think that is the commonly accepted pronunciation.
--
Regards,
John McGrath [TeamB]