Unable to run JBX doc installer on WinXP

2004-01-03 04:24:12 AM
jbuilder20
I tried downloading the JBX docs and running its installer
(jbxdocs\doc_install.exe). I have a WinXP SP1 laptop, by the way.
It unpacks the underlying installer, and immediately dies while
launching it with the error "Can't launch executable. Could not load
jvm.dll. Try re-installing the Java VM or change the Java VM used by
the application".
Huh?! (And how does one "change the Java VM used by the application",
anyway?)
I have the following JVMs installed:
* JRE 1.4.2_02 JDK and JRE (properly installed, shows up in the Java
Control Panel, IE, etc., as the default system JRE).
* Borland's JBuilder X JDK and JRE.
I don't have any other VMs installed (not even the Microsoft VM).
Has anyone tested the Doc installer with such a system combination?
(By the way, I did find a workaround: scrounge around in my Temp
directory for the unpacked bits - in my case, in
%TEMP%\I1073072707\Windows - and run the installer directly as
java -classpath
"../InstallerData/IAClasses.zip;resource/jdglue.zip;../InstallerData/Installer.zip;../InstallerData"
com.zerog.lax.LAX doc_install.lax
but this is hardly something that everyone is expected to figure out!)

Re:Unable to run JBX doc installer on WinXP

but this is hardly something that everyone is expected to figure out!)
dunno how you worked that out but cheers!

stuart wrote:
dunno how you worked that out but cheers!
From having wrestled with InstallAnywhere (as a product packager) in a
past life. This was one time in life when being a pack rat helped (dig
out my old notebooks :-).

{smallsort}