Loss of database connection settings in IDE

2005-02-03 04:08:11 AM
jbuilder6
I am working through the database tutorial, successfully making connections to my MS SQL database. However, I have to reenter the whole database connection settings each time I restart JBbulder 2005 (update 3), even though I have saved the project files. Is this a bug, an irritating feature or am I expecting/doing something wrong? Obviously, new to Java but not new to IDEs. Delphi did not act that way as I remember.

Re:Loss of database connection settings in IDE

DaveK wrote:
I am working through the database tutorial, successfully making
connections to my MS SQL database. However, I have to reenter the
whole database connection settings each time I restart JBbulder
2005 (update 3), even though I have saved the project files. Is
this a bug, an irritating feature or am I expecting/doing something
wrong?
Where are you entering this connection information?
In DB Pilot?
--
Paul Furbacher (TeamB)
Save time, search the archives:

Re:Loss of database connection settings in IDE

I was testing the connection in Data Pilot so I knew it would work outside of my tutorial program, but I was entering the connection properties in the UI designer for each of the various elements in the tutorial. One thing has changed though, I downloaded update 3 (which you folks should just name as update 3 rather than J2EE Application Server Update, makes things a little easier for us new guys). Since then, I was able to complete the tutorial with no problems. So, perhaps something in the update helped. Now, if only what I saw on the designer was the same thing as what gets displayed when the program is running....

{smallsort}

DaveK wrote:
I was testing the connection in Data Pilot so I knew it would work
outside of my tutorial program, but I was entering the connection
properties in the UI designer for each of the various elements in
the tutorial. One thing has changed though, I downloaded update 3
(which you folks should just name as update 3 rather than J2EE
Application Server Update, makes things a little easier for us new
guys).
We (TeamB) agree whole-heartedly. Unfortunately, we
don't have the ear of the marketing folks, the bestowers
of bad names to really simple things.
Since then, I was able to complete the tutorial with no
problems. So, perhaps something in the update helped. Now, if
only what I saw on the designer was the same thing as what gets
displayed when the program is running....
Alas, it appears that the new Designer creates new problems
while trying to solve some old ones endemic to the previous
Designer's design. Such is the nature of progress, especially
on a tight budget.