JBuilder 2006 too slow

2005-10-11 06:03:46 AM
jbuilder8
What gives? Is JBuilder turning into bloat ware? I am not going to be able to suggest my company upgrade with this {*word*99}py performance. Just like the other poster in this newsgroup, everything is sluggish. Menu items, dialogs, even just switching between files. I compared the jbuilder.config and jdk.config between JBuilder 2005 and 2006. I never changed the config files for 2005 so I had the defaults. This includes the JVM memory settings. Why don't the same 2006 defaults of 32m and 75% yield the same performance? I thought JDK1.5 would improve performance. I even tried commenting out the jbuilder.config peer-to-peer {*word*99} which I don't need. How can I get my 2006 performance back to 2005 levels?

Re:JBuilder 2006 too slow

Shawn Castrianni wrote:
What gives? Is JBuilder turning into bloat ware?
[stuff deleted]
The whole idea these days is that people buy new and more powerful
computers every year. It's a {*word*97}.
Watch and wait for the reply that questions the capability of your
current computer...

Re:JBuilder 2006 too slow

I don't see such slowness on any of the four Windows machines that I use
(three runing XP, one W2K).
Does it happen with no projects open? Does it happen immediately after
restarting the product? Does it happen on another machine which has a video
card from a different vendor?
Have you tried setting a fixed upper size for the VM heap (rather than the
default which uses a percentage of available memory so that you don't know
what value actually is used)?
Have you checked the event log (Tools | Event Log)?
"Shawn Castrianni" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

What gives? Is JBuilder turning into bloat ware? I am not going to be
able to suggest my company upgrade with this {*word*99}py performance. Just
like the other poster in this newsgroup, everything is sluggish. Menu
items, dialogs, even just switching between files. I compared the
jbuilder.config and jdk.config between JBuilder 2005 and 2006. I never
changed the config files for 2005 so I had the defaults. This includes
the JVM memory settings. Why don't the same 2006 defaults of 32m and 75%
yield the same performance? I thought JDK1.5 would improve performance.
I even tried commenting out the jbuilder.config peer-to-peer {*word*99} which I
don't need. How can I get my 2006 performance back to 2005 levels?

{smallsort}

Re:JBuilder 2006 too slow

As a developer I like that {*word*97} - if my program runs too slow -
they should have bought a bigger computer. Anyway, in 2005 in
personality options in project settings it was possible to select only
components you need. Maybe unselecting some of them may help you.
- Alexey.

--
Alexey N. Solofnenko
home: trelony.cjb.net/

Re:JBuilder 2006 too slow

Does it happen with no projects open?
Yes, although there isn't much to do to recreate the problem. Basically with no projects open, only the menus are slow or configuration dialogs are slow to pop up.
Does it happen immediately after restarting the product?
Yes.
Does it happen on another machine which has a video card from a different vendor?
Don't have access to a different machine with a different vendor card
Have you tried setting a fixed upper size for the VM heap (rather than the
default which uses a percentage of available memory so that you don't know
what value actually is used)?
Yes, I just tried 1024m for max
Have you checked the event log (Tools | Event Log)?
Just did, but only saw some SEVERE's when JBuilder crashed. I was getting:
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicLookAndFeel.compositeRequestFocus(Ljava/awt/Component;)Z
maybe when I tried changing the JDK that JBuilder runs against to 1.5.0_05 instead of _03 that it ships with.
It takes about 3.5 seconds just to switch source files. 2 seconds for the editor pane to refresh and 1.5 seconds for the structure pane to refresh.
I have turned off all {*word*99} I don't need in personality.

Re:JBuilder 2006 too slow

The jbuilder.config file applies patches to the boot classpath to fix
problems in the JDK that JBuilder is hosted. So switching the hosted JDK
could well lead to behavior changes and crashes that appear in the Event
log.
You might try configuring the log to also record informational states too in
case that might provide a clue. Go to Tools | Preferences | Browser and
change the "event log level" to "INFO".
Did you use the "import settings" feature when you started JB 2006 the first
time? Even if you didn't, it would be interesting to restart it with all
default settings to see if there might be some configuration settings that
are causing this. To do that, delete or rename your .primetime2006 and
.jbuilder2006 directories when JBuilder is not running and do not import
settings upon restart.
"Shawn Castrianni" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

>Does it happen with no projects open?

Yes, although there isn't much to do to recreate the problem. Basically
with no projects open, only the menus are slow or configuration dialogs
are slow to pop up.

>Does it happen immediately after restarting the product?

Yes.

>Does it happen on another machine which has a video card from a different
>vendor?

Don't have access to a different machine with a different vendor card

>Have you tried setting a fixed upper size for the VM heap (rather than the
>default which uses a percentage of available memory so that you don't know
>what value actually is used)?

Yes, I just tried 1024m for max

>Have you checked the event log (Tools | Event Log)?

Just did, but only saw some SEVERE's when JBuilder crashed. I was
getting:

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicLookAndFeel.compositeRequestFocus(Ljava/awt/Component;)Z

maybe when I tried changing the JDK that JBuilder runs against to 1.5.0_05
instead of _03 that it ships with.

It takes about 3.5 seconds just to switch source files. 2 seconds for the
editor pane to refresh and 1.5 seconds for the structure pane to refresh.

I have turned off all {*word*99} I don't need in personality.

Re:JBuilder 2006 too slow

The jbuilder.config file applies patches to the boot classpath to fix
problems in the JDK that JBuilder is hosted. So switching the hosted JDK
could well lead to behavior changes and crashes that appear in the Event
log.
I reverted back to the default jdk1.5 that ships with JBuilder when I started getting crashes.
You might try configuring the log to also record informational states too in
case that might provide a clue. Go to Tools | Preferences | Browser and
change the "event log level" to "INFO".
I will try that.
Did you use the "import settings" feature when you started JB 2006 the first
time? Even if you didn't, it would be interesting to restart it with all
default settings to see if there might be some configuration settings that
are causing this. To do that, delete or rename your .primetime2006 and
.jbuilder2006 directories when JBuilder is not running and do not import
settings upon restart.
I always do a clean install so I deleted every last reminant of JB2005 before installing JB2006.
The longer I use it, it starts to get a little better. But still isn't anywhere near 2005 quality. I will post any new information as I get it. Thanks.

Re:JBuilder 2006 too slow

It does not get better you just get used to it ;-) Also you start
discovering the parts where it is reall ymuch faster then 2005 and these
parts are very often used.
Doychin

news:434bff50$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>>The jbuilder.config file applies patches to the boot classpath to fix
>>problems in the JDK that JBuilder is hosted. So switching the hosted JDK
>>could well lead to behavior changes and crashes that appear in the Event
>>log.
>
>I reverted back to the default jdk1.5 that ships with JBuilder when I
>started getting crashes.
>

>>You might try configuring the log to also record informational states too
>>in
>>case that might provide a clue. Go to Tools | Preferences | Browser and
>>change the "event log level" to "INFO".
>
>I will try that.
>

>>Did you use the "import settings" feature when you started JB 2006 the
>>first
>>time? Even if you didn't, it would be interesting to restart it with all
>>default settings to see if there might be some configuration settings that
>>are causing this. To do that, delete or rename your .primetime2006 and
>>.jbuilder2006 directories when JBuilder is not running and do not import
>>settings upon restart.
>
>I always do a clean install so I deleted every last reminant of JB2005
>before installing JB2006.
>
>The longer I use it, it starts to get a little better. But still isn't
>anywhere near 2005 quality. I will post any new information as I get it.
>Thanks.

Doychin,
You may want to try some of the following:
Inside the \borland\jbuilder2006\bin directory is the jbuilder.config
fie. This is a simple text file. In the following section tweak the
memory setting to fit your system.
# Tune this VM to provide enough headroom to work on large
# applications
vmmemmin 32m
vmmemmax 75%
vmparam -XX:MaxPermSize=128m
Depending on the memory on your box, set the vmmemmin to at least 512m
if you have that much memory. Again, depending on your memory set the
MaxPermSize accordingly, for example let's say you had 1 gig of memory
then I would set the setting to 784 or at a bear minimum 512. If you
only have 512m, then I would set it to 256k.
Also make sure you have Code Audits turned off, inside JBuilder go to
the Project|Project Properties menu item. Then select Code Audits on
the right-hand side and make sure they are not enabled.
Next, inside the \borland\jbuilder2006\bin directory there is the
jdk.config in the following section:
vmtype client
javahome ../jdk1.5/
vmparam -Xminf0.2
vmparam -Xmaxf0.2
These override the base the -Xminf0.2 and change it to another number,
this is specific to each machine and the project type being used.
Finally, in the same file, if your machine is using an ATI card and
using XP look at the following section:
# | |
# | Uncomment one of the following lines if you are |
# | seeing screen glitches or crashes while running |
# | JBuilder. |
# | |
# | This problem is especially common under Windows XP |
# | if you are using other DirectDraw applications |
# | while running JBuilder at the same time or using |
# | an ATI video card. |
# | |
# +-----------------------------------------------------+
vmparam -Dsun.java2d.ddoffscreen=false
# vmparam -Dsun.java2d.noddraw
# vmparam -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false
Follow those instructions above.
Hopefully 1 of these will help,
Mike

Re:JBuilder 2006 too slow

thanks for the suggestions but I'm very happy with the speed of my JB 2006
;-)
Probably you didn't notice the smile after the first sentance of my message
;-)
Doychin