what is JB9 Ent looking for when you put in a documentation entry for a server?

2003-10-22 10:51:27 AM
jbuilder18
Before I hit my keyboard once more and break it :< what is JB looking for
when you tell it the directory of where the documentation is?
I'm telling JB9 the J2EE docs are in my C:\JBuilder9\doc\j2ee13_docs.jar,
I've tried C:\JBuilder9\doc\j2ee13_docs.jar,
C:\JBuilder9\doc\j2ee13_docs.jar\java,
C:\JBuilder9\doc\j2ee13_docs.jar\java\api but no matter what I do, JB keeps
telling me it can't find the help for HttpSession. What the heck is going
on? I really want to do like dog owner and shove it's nose in to the api
docs saying there boy, there it is! Sorry, this has bit me in the butt
more than a few times with no good answers from anyone.
I would appreciate if anyone has any ideas. Thanks.

Re:what is JB9 Ent looking for when you put in a documentation entry for a server?

In < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >Flip wrote:
Before I hit my keyboard once more and break it :< what is JB looking
for when you tell it the directory of where the documentation is?

I'm telling JB9 the J2EE docs are in my C:\JBuilder9\doc\j2ee13_docs.
jar, I've tried C:\JBuilder9\doc\j2ee13_docs.jar, C:\JBuilder9\doc\
j2ee13_docs.jar\java, C:\JBuilder9\doc\j2ee13_docs.jar\java\api but
no matter what I do, JB keeps telling me it can't find the help for
HttpSession. What the heck is going on? I really want to do like
dog owner and shove it's nose in to the api docs saying there boy,
there it is! Sorry, this has bit me in the {*word*82}more than a few
times with no good answers from anyone.
Assuming that when you say "I'm telling JBuilder ..." means
that you are adding to the "Configure Libraries>Documents"
tab the paths you described.
Just now, I've tried the succession of locations you give
above, but cannot duplicate the problem. But I have seen
such a problem in the past, so I'm going to do some guessing.
First, is JBuilder actually saying it cannot find
the file inside the specified JAR? Or is it showing
you a JavaDoc page which it generated and which is
essentially empty save for the class name and what
it extends from?
If it is the latter, exit JBuilder and go to your
project's /doc directory using your filesystem browser.
Delete the generated JavaDoc for HttpSession.
Restart JBuilder.
Now, if you go to Configure Libraries, select the
library in question, and go to the "Documents" tab,
you should remove all entries related to this particular
JAR file. The one you want to add is the last one
in your list above
C:\JBuilder9\doc\j2ee13_docs.jar\java\api
However, before you OK that dialog box, make sure
that the item in the list box looks like this
[C:/JBuilder9/doc/j2ee13_docs.jar]/java/api
Note the square brackets.
Then go to Project Properties>Paths>Required
Libaries and make sure that particular library
is there and not showing in red.
Test by selecting "HttpSession" in one of your
java files (compile the project first, maybe?)
and hitting F1. Alternatively, right-click on
HttpSession in your code, select "Find Definition"
(or hit Control-Enter) to open the source of
HttpSession. Then click on the "Doc" tab in
the editor window (bottom).
Hopefully, you'll see the real JavaDoc.
Paul Furbacher [TeamB]
Save time, search the archives:
Is it in Joi Ellis's Faq-O-Matic?
Thank you.

Re:what is JB9 Ent looking for when you put in a documentation entry for a server?

Howdy Paul. Thanks for the reply. I did eventually get it to work but only
after restarting JB. :< Not the most intuitive solutions (and takes a long
time :<).
Assuming that when you say "I'm telling JBuilder ..." means
that you are adding to the "Configure Libraries>Documents"
tab the paths you described.
That was one of the places I put it! :>But yes, I was putting the doc ref
is the project Documents, in the Tools/Configure Libraries/WebLogic client
and one other place I tried as well. The Weblogic library was the one that
worked.
Just now, I've tried the succession of locations you give
above, but cannot duplicate the problem. But I have seen
such a problem in the past, so I'm going to do some guessing.
Ok, I'm glad you've seen this in the past so I'm not totally stupid (which
is how I felt last night). That is NOT something I look for in my IDE. I
hate feeling like I'm the dumb one when it's someone/something else,
especially after spending HOURS on it. :< In my VB days, I loved
VisualStudio cause if something wasn't working, it was me. All I needed to
do was spend more time and I would figure the problem out. But with jb9
lately? I'm finding lately with JB9, I'm always second guessing the tool,
and my java skills. I'm sorry I don't mean to be coming down on you, that's
not it. I'm expressing frustrations which have been building up lately
after long hours of fighting with "oh just reboot and it'll all work." types
of problems.
First, is JBuilder actually saying it cannot find
the file inside the specified JAR? Or is it showing
you a JavaDoc page which it generated and which is
essentially empty save for the class name and what
it extends from?
Ya, JB is puting text in the status bar saying it can't find the docs. I
don't remember the exact message, but that's the jist of it. No help page
comes up.
However, before you OK that dialog box, make sure
that the item in the list box looks like this

[C:/JBuilder9/doc/j2ee13_docs.jar]/java/api

Note the square brackets.
Ya, I was noticing those last night and was wondering about them. I figured
that was JBs way of knowing that was the inputted jar file and it
interpolated the rest of the path. I thought that was cool, but if it could
interpolate that much, why couldn't it find it?
Then go to Project Properties>Paths>Required
Libaries and make sure that particular library
is there and not showing in red.
Nope, not in red, all is cool there.
Test by selecting "HttpSession" in one of your
java files (compile the project first, maybe?)
and hitting F1. Alternatively, right-click on
HttpSession in your code, select "Find Definition"
(or hit Control-Enter) to open the source of
HttpSession. Then click on the "Doc" tab in
the editor window (bottom).

Hopefully, you'll see the real JavaDoc.
Thanks for your help! :>

{smallsort}