JBX Broken Synch Between GUI Designer and code?

2004-01-06 07:46:00 AM
jbuilder22
I can reproduce this will a good degree of consistency. I drop a new text
field on panel in the GUI editor, and change it's name from the default. The
variable name for the changed text field not updated in the code. Scary. Is
this a formatting setting?

Re:JBX Broken Synch Between GUI Designer and code?

Bryan wrote:
I can reproduce this will a good degree of consistency. I drop a new text
field on panel in the GUI editor, and change it's name from the default. The
variable name for the changed text field not updated in the code. Scary. Is
this a formatting setting?

I see this all the time.

MattS wrote:
Bryan wrote:

>I can reproduce this will a good degree of consistency. I drop a new text
>field on panel in the GUI editor, and change it's name from the
>default. The
>variable name for the changed text field not updated in the code.
>Scary. Is
>this a formatting setting?

I see this all the time.
Yes, this problem has been logged at Quality Central.
Note that the problem does not seem to be either
universal (i.e., it doesn't seem to happen to everyone),
or completely reproducible.
In your cases, it may seem to happen all the time, but I
would bet that you may find that there are times when
it doesn't happen.
In my case, it comes and goes. I cannot predict what
will set it off or when it will happen. On some days,
I can bang the heck out of the Designer, and never
encounter the problem. On other days, it nags me
something bad.
The work-around is to undo the name change, flip
to the editor, and then do a Find/Replace, or a
member rename refactoring. I've found that in
many cases, I like to do renaming in the editor
anyway. It didn't use to be this way, but that's
how I work now. Whether it's because of the Designer
problem, or my habits just change over time, I
cannot say.
Yes, I wish they'd fix it. Who doesn't! But
without a definitive set of steps to reproduce
the problem, it's going to be hard, since most
people don't seem to experience it.
--
Paul Furbacher (TeamB)
Save time, search the archives:

{smallsort}

Re:JBX Broken Synch Between GUI Designer and code?

I've already reported the problem to QC (#6595).
This is a no brainer to reproduce. It's been going on ever since JB9 was
introduced, coincidently with the introduction of the Refractor tool.
Normal Swing components are hit and miss. But, start using an dbSwing
component and/or DataExpress, and changing the name in properties screws up
without fail!.
What happens is that the intial component declaration gets renamed, but
other property statements don't follow suit. The result is tedious. Since I
work almost exclusively with dbSwing components, I sometimes forget myself
and rename the component in the property name field. Result: twenty minutes
of hand picking throught he source code.
The workaround procedure for working with dbSwing components in the
designer:
a) Create the original component, and set all the property fields as
desired (do not touch the name property: leave the default name alone)
b) Copy the default assigned name property contents to the clipboard.
c) Switch to source code view
d) Select find, and paste the contents of the clipboard into the search
field.
e) Find the first instance of the named component and run Refractor on
the default component name to rename all instances of the component.
DO NOT, repeat DO NOT, hand rename a component name in the source code.
Since this is a dbSwing related problem, I don't expect any patch or fix
anytime soon. There hasn't been any for dbSwing components in years.
- Peter

Peter Zaharkiv wrote:
I've already reported the problem to QC (#6595).
Also, see QC #5234. It seems to be a similar, or the
same, phenomenon.
This is a no brainer to reproduce. It's been going on ever since JB9 was
introduced, coincidently with the introduction of the Refractor tool.
Okay, but I'm almost certain it has happened with
earlier versions. And I'd suggest that it's a
little more twisted, and possibly not such a
no brainer.
Normal Swing components are hit and miss.
Again, that hit-and-miss behavior makes it less of
a no brainer than you suggest. I still have
no idea as to why it starts to misbehave.
But, start using an dbSwing component and/or DataExpress, and
changing the name in properties screws up without fail!.
Interesting. I just tried to reproduce this ... and couldn't.
I'm curious: why didn't you mention this "dbSwing always fails"
aspect in your QC #6595 report? It might be a good idea to
add that piece of info.
..., I sometimes forget myself and rename the component in the
property name field. Result: twenty minutes of hand picking
through the source code.
Yes, it's easy to forget, and a pain to correct, especially
if you've renamed a number of components.
The workaround procedure for working with dbSwing components in the
designer:

a) Create the original component, and set all the property fields as
desired (do not touch the name property: leave the default name alone)
b) Copy the default assigned name property contents to the clipboard.
c) Switch to source code view
d) Select find, and paste the contents of the clipboard into the search
field.
e) Find the first instance of the named component and run Refractor on
the default component name to rename all instances of the component.

DO NOT, repeat DO NOT, hand rename a component name in the source code.
I've had no problem when renaming manually in the Editor.
What problem does it create for you? Is it the same
as in Tor Wilhelmsen's report, QC #3680?
Since this is a dbSwing related problem, I don't expect any patch or fix
anytime soon. There hasn't been any for dbSwing components in years.
That there hasn't been an update of dbSwing components
may be true. But that the problem is specific to
renaming dbSwing components in the Designer is not
a certainty, and may be a problem of the Designer.
I'd bet that has been updated more recently.
(That's just a guess on my part.)