JBuilder IDE - Tools/Configure Libraries

2003-10-02 03:44:25 AM
jbuilder7
If I'm adding a new entry to the library list then normally I'd add a JAR reference under the 'classes' tab.
But what happens if the library has its own JAR dependencies? Where do I list these extra JARs? In the 'class' tab?
For example if library 'A' is made available as 'a.jar' but it also requires a number of other JARS where do I specify those other jars?

Re:JBuilder IDE - Tools/Configure Libraries

"davout" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
For example if library 'A' is made available as 'a.jar' but it also
requires a number of other JARS where do I specify those other jars?
On the required libraries tab.
For an example, look at the "dbSwing" library which also requires the
classes in the "Data Express" library.
--
Gillmer J. Derge (TeamB)

Re:JBuilder IDE - Tools/Configure Libraries

So I have to create a new library entry for each supporting JAR required by the main library?
For example, Hibernate uses 'Common-collections.jar'. Another library might also use 'Common-collections.jar'. Do I create two separate library entries, like...
Hibernate-commons-collections
Another-commons-collections
After all they could be different versions of the same sub library?
news:3f7b2e99$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>For example if library 'A' is made available as 'a.jar' but it also
requires a number of other JARS where do I specify those other jars?

On the required libraries tab.

For an example, look at the "dbSwing" library which also requires the
classes in the "Data Express" library.

--
Gillmer J. Derge (TeamB)

{smallsort}

Re:JBuilder IDE - Tools/Configure Libraries

"davout" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
So I have to create a new library entry for each supporting JAR
required by the main library?
Not necessarily. A single library can have multiple JAR's in its
classpath. You can just add all the JAR's to the one library. For
example, look at the "Open Tools SDK" library. It includes
jbuilder.jar, primetime.jar, and help.jar.
For example, Hibernate uses 'Common-collections.jar'. Another library
might also use 'Common-collections.jar'. Do I create two separate
library entries, like...

Hibernate-commons-collections
Another-commons-collections
No. For that situation, if I understand it correctly, I would create
one library called "Hibernate-commons-collections" and anything else
that wants to use that should reference "Hibernate-commons-collections"
as a required library.
Basically you want to create libraries at whatever level of modularity
makes logical sense. If the Hibernate common collections are spread out
over 5 JAR files for some reason, then you would likely make a single
library that references all 5 JAR's. If you never want to use the
collections separately from any other part of Hibernate, you might just
make one giant Hibernate library that includes everything.
After all they could be different versions of the same sub library?
I often tack a version number onto the library name. So I might have
"Lib 1.1," "Lib 1.2," and "Lib 2.0" that are all essentially the same
library. That way I can switch among them depending on which version I
need for a particular project. Many people (including me) wish
JBuilder's built in libraries did the same.
--
Gillmer J. Derge (TeamB)

In <3f7c318f$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >Gillmer J. Derge \(TeamB\) wrote:
No. For that situation, if I understand it correctly, I would create
one library called "Hibernate-commons-collections" and anything else
that wants to use that should reference "Hibernate-commons-
collections" as a required library.
As Gillmer points out, one library, many uses. You
already should be aware that if you create a MySQL
library which points to the MySQL JDBC driver JAR,
you can use the same library in a Hibernate project,
a straight JDBC project, or an EJB project. One library,
many uses.
In this particular case, since the Jakarta Commons
commons-collections.jar has nothing to do with
Hibernate, one wouldn't give the library a name
with "Hibernate" prefixed to it. More properly,
it might be named "JakartaCommonsCollections".
Paul Furbacher [TeamB]
Save time, search the archives:
Is it in Joi Ellis's Faq-O-Matic?
Thank you.