De{*word*81} is causing the whole system to stop responding in JBuilder 8 SE on Windows XP.

2003-11-06 04:09:16 AM
jbuilder0
Hi,
I have recently upgraded to JBuilder 8 on Windows XP.
Now I am having problems with the de{*word*81}... when the execution stops at a
break point the whole system becomes sluggish and responds at the rate of
10min/mouse click. This happens 9 out of 10 debug sessions. At this point I
can't even bring up task manager. The only thing that works is ctrl+alt+del
and logoff user... end program when prompted, or reboot the machine.
- It does not seem to matter if I use JDK 1.3.0-C or 1.4, the de{*word*81} still
is not running fine.
- When I use JDK 1.3.0-C and -classic as the first VM parameter... does not
help.
- I have renamed dt_shmem.dll to dt_shmem_bak.dll
- The Internet Connection Firewall on my Windows XP is not enabled.
All the applications run fine, also I can run them in debug mode without any
problems if no break points are encountered.
Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Re:De{*word*81} is causing the whole system to stop responding in JBuilder 8 SE on Windows XP.

Do yo do remote or local debugging ? If you do remote debugging, make
sure the address for dt_socket transport is not set to 5000.
-Hin
SK wrote:

[...]

I am doing local debugging.
What seems to help a little is to pass the VM parameter -Xmx512m
However the 2nd or 3rd time I hit the breakpoint the system stops responding
again.
If there is a problem with the amount of memory available, I am still not
sure why the whole system is left in an inconsistent state where even the
task manager is unable to come up. Is there anything I can do to ensure a
graceful recovery?
Thanks for helping,
-SK.

SK wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have recently upgraded to JBuilder 8 on Windows XP.
>Now I am having problems with the de{*word*81}... when the execution stops at
>break point the whole system becomes sluggish and responds at the rate of
>10min/mouse click. This happens 9 out of 10 debug sessions. At this point
>can't even bring up task manager. The only thing that works is
ctrl+alt+del
>and logoff user... end program when prompted, or reboot the machine.
>
>- It does not seem to matter if I use JDK 1.3.0-C or 1.4, the de{*word*81}
still
>is not running fine.
>- When I use JDK 1.3.0-C and -classic as the first VM parameter... does
not
>help.
>- I have renamed dt_shmem.dll to dt_shmem_bak.dll
>- The Internet Connection Firewall on my Windows XP is not enabled.
>
>All the applications run fine, also I can run them in debug mode without
any
>problems if no break points are encountered.
>
>Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

{smallsort}

Re:De{*word*81} is causing the whole system to stop responding in JBuilder 8 SE on Windows XP.

In the message pane, you should see the command line that JBuilder
generates to debug your application. Do you see dt_shmem or dt_socket in
that command line?
-Hin

news:3faaa2fa$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>Do yo do remote or local debugging ? If you do remote debugging, make
>sure the address for dt_socket transport is not set to 5000.
>
>-Hin
>
>SK wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I have recently upgraded to JBuilder 8 on Windows XP.
>>Now I am having problems with the de{*word*81}... when the execution stops at

>>break point the whole system becomes sluggish and responds at the rate of
>>10min/mouse click. This happens 9 out of 10 debug sessions. At this point

>>can't even bring up task manager. The only thing that works is

ctrl+alt+del

>>and logoff user... end program when prompted, or reboot the machine.
>>
>>- It does not seem to matter if I use JDK 1.3.0-C or 1.4, the de{*word*81}

still

>>is not running fine.
>>- When I use JDK 1.3.0-C and -classic as the first VM parameter... does

not

>>help.
>>- I have renamed dt_shmem.dll to dt_shmem_bak.dll
>>- The Internet Connection Firewall on my Windows XP is not enabled.
>>
>>All the applications run fine, also I can run them in debug mode without

any

>>problems if no break points are encountered.
>>
>>Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Re:De{*word*81} is causing the whole system to stop responding in JBuilder 8 SE on Windows XP.

Here is that command line: (it is using dt_socket not dt_shmem)
C:\MyPathToJDK\JDK1.3.0\bin\javaw -classic -classpath
"C:\MyPathToClientClasses\classes;C:\MyPathToJDK\JDK1.3.0\demo\jfc\Java2D\Ja
va2Demo.jar;C:\MyPathToJDK\JDK1.3.0\jre\lib\i18n.jar;C:\MyPathToJDK\JDK1.3.0
\jre\lib\jaws.jar;C:\MyPathToJDK\JDK1.3.0\jre\lib\rt.jar;C:\MyPathToJDK\JDK1
.3.0\jre\lib\sunrsasign.jar;C:\MyPathToJDK\JDK1.3.0\lib\dt.jar;C:\MyPathToJD
K\JDK1.3.0\lib\tools.jar" -Xms6m -Xmx512m -Xdebug -Xnoagent -Djava.compiler=
NONE -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,address=My_machine:1779,suspend=y
com.mycompany.mypackage.MyClass
Regards,

anon wrote:

>I am doing local debugging.
>What seems to help a little is to pass the VM parameter -Xmx512m
>However the 2nd or 3rd time I hit the breakpoint the system stops
responding
>again.
>
>If there is a problem with the amount of memory available, I am still not
>sure why the whole system is left in an inconsistent state where even the
>task manager is unable to come up. Is there anything I can do to ensure a
>graceful recovery?
>
>Thanks for helping,
>-SK.
>
>"Hin Boen" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>news:3faaa2fa$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>

>>Do yo do remote or local debugging ? If you do remote debugging, make
>>sure the address for dt_socket transport is not set to 5000.
>>
>>-Hin
>>
>>SK wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I have recently upgraded to JBuilder 8 on Windows XP.
>>>Now I am having problems with the de{*word*81}... when the execution stops
at

>>>break point the whole system becomes sluggish and responds at the rate
of
>>>10min/mouse click. This happens 9 out of 10 debug sessions. At this
point

>>>can't even bring up task manager. The only thing that works is
>>>

>ctrl+alt+del
>

>>>and logoff user... end program when prompted, or reboot the machine.
>>>
>>>- It does not seem to matter if I use JDK 1.3.0-C or 1.4, the de{*word*81}
>>>

>still
>

>>>is not running fine.
>>>- When I use JDK 1.3.0-C and -classic as the first VM parameter... does
>>>

>not
>

>>>help.
>>>- I have renamed dt_shmem.dll to dt_shmem_bak.dll
>>>- The Internet Connection Firewall on my Windows XP is not enabled.
>>>
>>>All the applications run fine, also I can run them in debug mode
without

>any
>

>>>problems if no break points are encountered.
>>>
>>>Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Re:De{*word*81} is causing the whole system to stop responding in JBuilder 8 SE on Windows XP.

In my experience, this can be a problem when DNS gets confused. I do
remember seeing issues with JB 8 and earlier versions of the JDK (i.e.
1.3.x), but it was generally when remote debugging, not local debugging.
--
Tad Frysinger [TeamB]