JBuilder 2005 - crashes on start

2005-03-06 03:27:02 AM
jbuilder0
I've just installed JBuilder 2005 Enterprise on my XP desktop. I've applied all the downloadable patches.
When I run JBuilder 2005 from the Start menu the app crashes a nano second after the splash window appears. If I open a DOS box and run JBuilder from the dos box it starts OK. Any ideas?

Re:JBuilder 2005 - crashes on start

davout wrote:

I've just installed JBuilder 2005 Enterprise on my XP desktop. I've
applied all the downloadable patches.

When I run JBuilder 2005 from the Start menu the app crashes a nano
second after the splash window appears. If I open a DOS box and run
JBuilder from the dos box it starts OK. Any ideas?
Download this opentool:
cc.borland.com/ccweb.exe/listing
Install it in JBuilder per the instructions, start JBuilder from the
DOS prompt, configure automatic logging, then exit. Restart JBuilder
the normal way. If the opentool gets loaded before the crash, there
should be an exception in the configured log file.
--
Kevin Dean [TeamB]
Dolphin Data Development Ltd.

Re:JBuilder 2005 - crashes on start

I setup the IDE logger as instructed but nothing is generated.
Running from the DOS box it works if I enter...
jbuilder -verbose
If I just enter...
jbuilder
... then I get the following error
C:\Borland\JBuilder2005\bin>jbuilder
Any ideas??
I'm running a new Athlon 4000MHZ XP desktop with 2GB of RAM.
"Kevin Dean [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
davout wrote:

>I've just installed JBuilder 2005 Enterprise on my XP desktop. I've
>applied all the downloadable patches.
>
>When I run JBuilder 2005 from the Start menu the app crashes a nano
>second after the splash window appears. If I open a DOS box and run
>JBuilder from the dos box it starts OK. Any ideas?

Download this opentool:

cc.borland.com/ccweb.exe/listing

Install it in JBuilder per the instructions, start JBuilder from the
DOS prompt, configure automatic logging, then exit. Restart JBuilder
the normal way. If the opentool gets loaded before the crash, there
should be an exception in the configured log file.

--
Kevin Dean [TeamB]
Dolphin Data Development Ltd.
www.datadevelopment.com/

NEW WHITEPAPERS
Securing Borland Enterprise Server

info.borland.com/newsgroups/guide.html

{smallsort}

Re:JBuilder 2005 - crashes on start

You say you applied the updates -- did you copy the contents of the
bin_windows directory into your bin directory? I believe there was a fix to
the launcher and the config file for a problem that could happen when a
machine has 2GB or more RAM.
Alternatively you could try just removing the lines in jbuilder.config which
the launcher uses for the initial VM heap size to verify.
"davout" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

I setup the IDE logger as instructed but nothing is generated.

Running from the DOS box it works if I enter...

jbuilder -verbose

If I just enter...

jbuilder

... then I get the following error

C:\Borland\JBuilder2005\bin>jbuilder

Any ideas??

I'm running a new Athlon 4000MHZ XP desktop with 2GB of RAM.

Re:JBuilder 2005 - crashes on start

I'd already tried this. One of the install FAQ's suggests changing the 'jbuilder.config' file to...
# vmmemmax 75%
vmmemmax 1536m
No difference. Running 'jbuilder' from the dos box gets the error...
C:\Borland\JBuilder2005\bin>jbuilder
If I remove both 'vmmemmax' lines from the 'jbuilder.config' file then running 'jbuilder' from the dos box works.
Thoughts?

news:422a4771$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>I setup the IDE logger as instructed but nothing is generated.
>
>Running from the DOS box it works if I enter...
>
>jbuilder -verbose
>
>If I just enter...
>
>jbuilder
>
>... then I get the following error
>
>C:\Borland\JBuilder2005\bin>jbuilder
>Error occurred during initialization of VM
>Could not reserve enough space for object heap
>
>Any ideas??
>
>I'm running a new Athlon 4000MHZ XP desktop with 2GB of RAM.

Re:JBuilder 2005 - crashes on start

You haven't yet verified that you did apply the patch directory
"bin_windows" to your "bin" directory.
The vmmem* lines in jbuilder.config as shipped are just attempts to
generically define a heap size that scales based on total memory available.
The change to use "vmmemmax 1536m" sets a specific upper limit though one
that is still very high.
If that configuration doesn't work in your system, then consider replacing
those lines with the same kind of directives that were used in prior
versions of JBuilder. Those lines are the following (though you will
probably want to increase the numbers given all the memory you have):
vmparam -Xms32m
vmparam -Xmx256m
"davout" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

I'd already tried this. One of the install FAQ's suggests changing the
'jbuilder.config' file to...

# vmmemmax 75%
vmmemmax 1536m

No difference. Running 'jbuilder' from the dos box gets the error...

C:\Borland\JBuilder2005\bin>jbuilder

If I remove both 'vmmemmax' lines from the 'jbuilder.config' file then
running 'jbuilder' from the dos box works.

Thoughts?

"Bill Joy" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>You say you applied the updates -- did you copy the contents of the
>bin_windows directory into your bin directory? I believe there was a fix
>the launcher and the config file for a problem that could happen when a
>machine has 2GB or more RAM.
>
>Alternatively you could try just removing the lines in jbuilder.config
>which
>the launcher uses for the initial VM heap size to verify.
>

>"davout" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>news:422a4771$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>>
>>I setup the IDE logger as instructed but nothing is generated.
>>
>>Running from the DOS box it works if I enter...
>>
>>jbuilder -verbose
>>
>>If I just enter...
>>
>>jbuilder
>>
>>... then I get the following error
>>
>>C:\Borland\JBuilder2005\bin>jbuilder
>>Error occurred during initialization of VM
>>Could not reserve enough space for object heap
>>
>>Any ideas??
>>
>>I'm running a new Athlon 4000MHZ XP desktop with 2GB of RAM.

Re:JBuilder 2005 - crashes on start

Yes I have installed all the patches - up to and including patch 3.
As I said, by removing the 'vmmemmax' line from the 'jbuilder.config' file everything works OK now, including 'jbuilderw'.
I'm just waiting for a response from Borland about whether its safe to run the JBuilder IDE with this config item removed.

news:422ab348$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

davout wrote:
Yes I have installed all the patches - up to and including patch 3.

As I said, by removing the 'vmmemmax' line from the 'jbuilder.config'
file everything works OK now, including 'jbuilderw'.

I'm just waiting for a response from Borland about whether its safe
to run the JBuilder IDE with this config item removed.

Of course it is "safe" to run, you just default to the heapsize settings
which are default for the JRE under which JBuilder is running.
You really need to set the heap size max to something reasonable for the
kind of work you are doing, in order to optimize performance. If you
are doing a lot of designer work (Swing or EJB or JSF, etc), then the
default heap size max should be something between 512 MB and 1 GB.
Smaller than that for less memory intensive work.
--
Regards,
Lori Olson [TeamB]