Connection Property Has not been set

2003-12-28 02:27:43 PM
jbuilder1
Hello
I have a huge database application that I have been working on for a while.
Every now and then I get the following error during design time:
Database Connection property has not been set
and then I the only solution to get rid of these error messages is to
create a new datamodule, and move all the code and queries of the old
one to the new one.
The run time behavior of the application is not affected by these error
messages.
Looks like a refresh problem with JBuilder
I am using JBuilder 9 Enterprise Edition, and my computer is a P4, with
1.5 GB of RAM
I am using MS SQLSERVER, and DataDirect JDBC drivers
Thanks

Re:Connection Property Has not been set

Fadi Mujahid wrote:
Hello
I have a huge database application that I have been working on for a
while. Every now and then I get the following error during design time:
Database Connection property has not been set
and then I the only solution to get rid of these error messages is to
create a new datamodule, and move all the code and queries of the old
one to the new one.
The run time behavior of the application is not affected by these error
messages.

Looks like a refresh problem with JBuilder

I am using JBuilder 9 Enterprise Edition, and my computer is a P4, with
1.5 GB of RAM
I am using MS SQLSERVER, and DataDirect JDBC drivers

Thanks
Just a suggestion, since there were several refresh problems with JB 9.
Download the JB X trial and see if these errors persist. If JB X fixes the
problem, I would contact Borland and see if they can work something out
with you.

Fadi Mujahid wrote:
I have a huge database application that I have been working on for a while.
Every now and then I get the following error during design time:
Database Connection property has not been set
and then I the only solution to get rid of these error messages is to
create a new datamodule, and move all the code and queries of the old
one to the new one.
The run time behavior of the application is not affected by these error
messages.

Looks like a refresh problem with JBuilder
Actually, from a bit of rummaging through the JBuilder
newsgroup archives, I have a feeling that you have two
conflicting settings for the database connection. But
I can't prove it.
Can you construct the simplest example which shows
your problem? If you were to work with any of
the examples, such as the MultiLingual International
Demo which comes with JBuilder, do you experience the
same loss of a connection?
If you can make a barebones demo of the problem,
and maybe post it in the attachments newsgroup,
someone else could have a chance to play with
it and see if something subtle is being overlooked.
--
Paul Furbacher (TeamB)
Save time, search the archives:

{smallsort}

Re:Connection Property Has not been set

Thanks for your detailed answer
One point that might give a hint, the error happens mainly when I start
JBuilder, open my project, click on the Design tab, and the database
that the Database component point at is down.
So when I bring the database up again, and I restart JBuilder, it will
not recognize that my database is up again.
Another case where the same problem happens, is when I put two
definitions for the database connection (one is under a condition). But
again, when I remove the duplicate definition, nothing comes back.
The problem is that I am unable to replicate this problem outside my
project.
The only solution I found for that (and that is what made me suspicous
of the refresh bug), is that I create a new datamodule, and copy/paste
all the component of the old datamodule to it, and point all my forms to
the new one.
Thanks again