JDBC development

2004-10-14 02:55:49 PM
jbuilder4
I need to develop a read only JDBC driver. Where to start? Are there any
examples or articles about it?

Re:JDBC development

"Bertin Kiekebosch" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
I need to develop a read only JDBC driver. Where to start? Are there any
examples or articles about it?
JDBC drivers are written to target a particular database, not to limit
on functionality. The problem you want to solve is generally solved by
granting restricted rights to the particular user, e.g. only "session"
and "select", and none of "insert", "update" etc.

Re:JDBC development

The problem is like this:
We have a database. If you want a report from certain tables you can do this
with all kind of tools (Crystal, Cognos etc.) The problem is that you need
meta information about a table to understand whats in it. That information
can only be given by our own application. For example, some fields can be
used for different kinds of data which depends on a user setting in our
application. The idea is that our J2EE application provides a JDBC interface
for a report designer to present metadata about the table. With this metadat
the user can create reports that directly access the database.
"Tor Iver Wilhelmsen [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
message news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
"Bertin Kiekebosch" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:

>I need to develop a read only JDBC driver. Where to start? Are there any
>examples or articles about it?

JDBC drivers are written to target a particular database, not to limit
on functionality. The problem you want to solve is generally solved by
granting restricted rights to the particular user, e.g. only "session"
and "select", and none of "insert", "update" etc.

{smallsort}