Designing database for 3 tier system

2006-01-21 12:56:13 AM
jbuilder10
I have experience with designing database for client/server application.
I have to design know database for 3 tier application
(Jbuilder-Jboss-Oracle).
Can somebody tall me is there some difference in both designs?
I think that database is database and that design should be the same.

Re:Designing database for 3 tier system

Johny wrote:
I have experience with designing database for client/server application.

I have to design know database for 3 tier application
(Jbuilder-Jboss-Oracle).

Can somebody tall me is there some difference in both designs?

I think that database is database and that design should be the same.

A good database design is a good database design, and should not be
different for client/server vs 3 tier.
--
Regards,
Lori Olson [TeamB]

Lori M Olson [TeamB] wrote:
Johny wrote:

>I have experience with designing database for client/server application.
>
>I have to design know database for 3 tier application
>(Jbuilder-Jboss-Oracle).
>
>Can somebody tall me is there some difference in both designs?
>
>I think that database is database and that design should be the same.

A good database design is a good database design, and should not be
different for client/server vs 3 tier.
Added to what you both have concluded, it might
help to review the distinctions between client-server
and multi-tier application designs.
You might want to do a Google search on +"client-server
architecture"; here's one hit that seems to me to be a
pretty succinct summary:
www.sei.cmu.edu/str/descriptions/clientserver_body.html
It's interesting to note that the authors consider multi-tier
architectures to fall under the domain of "client-server".
It's not unreasonable to argue that.
And it's probably not unreasonable to argue that good database
design is good database design, regardless of the application
architecture surrounding.
The major question these days, it seems to me, is what
is the best (most productive, maintainable, extensible)
architecture/framework for implementing the middle tier's
database access and the mapping of domain objects to the
relational database. Here's where Hibernate, Cayenne,
OJB, iBatis, and a host of other ORM frameworks and tools
come into play.
--
Paul Furbacher (TeamB)
Save time, search the archives:

{smallsort}

"Paul Furbacher [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news:43d1ab32$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

[...]

How well does DataExpress/dbSwing integrate with these ORM frameworks? Are
we stuck doing things the "DataExpress way" or can we replace the middle
tier with one of these frameworks and still use dbSwing for the GUI?