Install JBuilder 8 on Mac OS X - license

2003-07-08 11:21:52 AM
jbuilder12
I'm trying to get a new copy of JBuilder 8 installed on a new powerbook
g4 running mac os x 10.2. I followed one of threads here which
detailed installing jbuilder on linux, coping the files over to
/Applications/JBuilder/JBuilder.framework/, and creating the .sh file.
Everything works great untill I try to lauch jbuilder. When I run
jbuilder.sh, I get a message that
says missing or expired license. The product registration wizard comes
up, I click "Have Activiation File", I then enter the path for the registration
file (in my case it is /Users/yab/reg151.txt ), hit the next button and a
message is displayed which says You Have successfully registered!.
I click finish and I'm back to the terminal. If I run the shell script again,
the same thing happens. Should I have registered the jbuilder version
which I installed on linux? I didn't do this because then I would have
two registered versions of jbuilder installed on two separate machines.

Re:Install JBuilder 8 on Mac OS X - license

In <3f0a38d0$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >yabroudy wrote:
I'm trying to get a new copy of JBuilder 8 installed on a new
powerbook g4 running mac os x 10.2. I followed one of threads here
which detailed installing jbuilder on linux, coping the files over
to /Applications/JBuilder/JBuilder.framework/, and creating the .sh
file. Everything works great untill I try to lauch jbuilder. When I
run jbuilder.sh, I get a message that says missing or expired
license. The product registration wizard comes up, I click "Have
Activiation File", I then enter the path for the registration file (
in my case it is /Users/yab/reg151.txt ), hit the next button and a
message is displayed which says You Have successfully registered!.
I click finish and I'm back to the terminal. If I run the shell
script again, the same thing happens. ...
With one particular installation of JBuilder 8, I consistently
ran into this problem of seeming to have successfully registered
the product, only to have it come up with a license conflict.
In my case, it occurred when I tried to use an app bundle
(created using Jar Bundler) for an already installed version
of JBuilder 8. The curious thing was that I could successfully
launch the registered product from the shell script, invoked
either by 2x-clicking on the shell script (extension = .command),
or from the command-line. But when launched from the app
bundle, I'd always get the obviously false response that the
product was unlicensed. Then when I tried to type in the
license number and key, it would say that another license
using that combo was already registered on the machine.
"Well, of course it is, JBuilder!", I splutterd. "You should
be able to figure that out!" I thundered.
Alas, no amount of muttering and fulminating at the screen
convinced it to behave correctly. And I'm not sure I
ever figured out why this happened. Perhaps it was that
the list of JARs in the <classpath>element in the info.plist
file wasn't complete. I've given up using an app bundle
to launch JBuilder 8 for a number of reasons, among them
the dreaded Error #750: java.lang.Object not found.
So, to cut this short ...
Should I have registered the
jbuilder version which I installed on linux? I didn't do this
because then I would have two registered versions of jbuilder
installed on two separate machines.
Yes, this is exactly what you should do _if and only if_ you
abide by the terms of the license: that is, you must not
use the same copy of JBuilder on both machines _at the
same time_. I do this because at home, I use my Win2K
box to do JBuilder development, but when I give talks
at the local Java Users Group or am on the road, I use
the copy installed on this PowerBook. But I work alone
so I know that there's no way to violate this restriction
in the license: no one else is going to be using one
machine while I'm using the other...well, I hope the
cat doesn't turn on the Windows box while my wife
and I are away.
Paul Furbacher [TeamB]
Save time, search the archives:
Is it in Joi Ellis's Faq-O-Matic?