Just starting out

2005-03-22 12:41:24 PM
jbuilder11
I'm thinking of trying some Java programming just for myself mostly. Been reading about different IDE's. I liked C++ Builder so I'm going to try JBuilder Foundation first. Was this Foundation used to be called the Personal Edition? The one I'm trying is 2005 Foundation. Or is the other one called the Personal the one that was released in 2004. And I find it kinda odd that Borland doesn't offer like say a Standard Edition and sell it for like $100.00. Microsoft offers Standard Editions for all their .net products. With this Foundation edition can I create both console apps and GUI apps?

Re:Just starting out

"357mag" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

I'm thinking of trying some Java programming just for myself mostly. Been
reading about different IDE's. I liked C++ Builder so I'm going to try
JBuilder Foundation first. Was this Foundation used to be called the
Personal Edition? The one I'm trying is 2005 Foundation. Or is the other one
called the Personal the one that was released in 2004. And I find it kinda
odd that Borland doesn't offer like say a Standard Edition and sell it for
like $100.00. Microsoft offers Standard Editions for all their .net
products. With this Foundation edition can I create both console apps and
GUI apps?
Foundatin eqates to old Personal, but Foundation is free. IN addition,
Borland added the Database components to Foundation, which in previous
Foundation versions were absent.
You can do any type of Java development with Foundation you wish. Of course,
you can do any Java development you wish with any text editor and the
terminal (Linux, Unix, Mac OS X), or command line (windows) and a java sdk.
The Foundaton version however, does allow semi RAD for GUI development. It
does have wizards, nor de{*word*81}s for J2EE development (servlets, JSPs,
EJBs). Doesn't mean that you cannot do this type of development, but you
will not have any built in wizards, nor debug functionality for J2EE
development.