Test performance: Java 1.5 vs. 1.4

2005-10-05 09:24:27 PM
jbuilder0
Is there any public and indepenent test of performance between 1.4.x and
1.5? My tests shows that 1.4 is much faster.

Re:Test performance: Java 1.5 vs. 1.4

Petar Popara wrote:
Is there any public and indepenent test of performance between 1.4.x and
1.5? My tests shows that 1.4 is much faster.
There's no one "speed of 1.5" vs "speed of 1.4". Many things have been
sped up. Other things have also changed. Depending on your application's
exact usage patterns, certain things may have sped up, and certain
things may have slowed down, with (in your case) a net negative effect.
Exactly what "tests" did you run, anyway?

Shankar Unni wrote:
There's no one "speed of 1.5" vs "speed of 1.4". Many things have been
sped up. Other things have also changed. Depending on your application's
exact usage patterns, certain things may have sped up, and certain
things may have slowed down, with (in your case) a net negative effect.
PS There's one open issue I saw on the JDC regarding the performance of
String.toLowerCase(), which now (in 1.5) does an unnecessary
String.intern() which is quite expensive. Apparently certain (e.g.
Spring Framework based) apps have been affected quite seriously.

{smallsort}