Questions (New Word Processing Component) ...

2003-11-15 12:49:43 PM
jbuilder15
We are finishing up the development of a word processing component. This
can be used to either display static text (of course) or to provide rich
document editing capabilities. It should be quite powerful when it is
complete since the team that is building it built one previously (for a
little company which was then called WordPerfect.)
The team developed it in Java so that they could code it faster than they
could in C++ but we have left the door open to doing a C++ or C# port in the
future. However, most all of the team developed it using non-Borland tools
as they are Unix heads ;-) so there are still some questions that I am
having to investigate:
1) In the Java world, is there (or would there be) much interest in
something like this? Or, should we keep going and move things over to C# or
C++ or ... (I'm totally confused as to where things are going now that MS
has gone the .NET direction -- native code, .NET, or some other alternative
things seem to be all in flux right now.)
2) Is there any way to link Java code into a C++ program so we could
provide it as a tool to C/C++ programmers without having to do a full port?
I've heard there are some Java->Native compilers but the only ones I can
find seem intent on creating an .exe rather than being able to create a
component and/or .dll I'd like to be able to do it so that people don't
have to have a Java JIT or runtime installed.
3) How about .NET? Is there a way to link to .NET somehow? J# from all I
hear is far behind and MS doesn't seem to be interested in updating it
significantly.
We anticipate that the layout capabilities will be competitive not only with
any commercial (or non-commercial for that matter) rich-text editing
component in C/C++ but also with most commercial text layout and word
processing programs.
I'm pretty new to the whole Java thing so any pointers or comments would be
greatly appreciated. Please feel free to e-mail me at: XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Thanks,
-Art

Re:Questions (New Word Processing Component) ...

Oh, I forgot to mention, if anybody wants to be able to play with it when it
is ready for beta, please let me know.

Art Pollard wrote:
[...]

I think so. There's always questions about these kinds of components
cropping up.

2) Is there any way to link Java code into a C++ program so we could
provide it as a tool to C/C++ programmers without having to do a full port?
I've heard there are some Java->Native compilers but the only ones I can
find seem intent on creating an .exe rather than being able to create a
component and/or .dll I'd like to be able to do it so that people don't
have to have a Java JIT or runtime installed.

Unless you buy some really expensive tools (Jove, TowerJ), the answer is
no. Especially if you have any kind of GUI component, you'll always
need a JRE.
3) How about .NET? Is there a way to link to .NET somehow? J# from all I
hear is far behind and MS doesn't seem to be interested in updating it
significantly.

There's always a way. It's just not likely to be a "good" way. You'll
be doing JNI work, and DLL's, and "unmanaged C++", AFAICS.
J# is a waste of time. It's only reason for existance is so that
Microsoft can shoe horn all those developers stuck on Microsoft J++ into
their "modern" development tool. Once they have arrived, IMHO,
Microsoft simply assumes they will move to one of the other "real" .NET
languages, C# or VB.NET.

--
Regards,
Lori Olson (TeamB)

Re:Questions (New Word Processing Component) ...

Hi Art,
We'd be interested in a Java word processing component, although it would
have to be very functional to do what we need it to do and royalty free. We
currently use WPTools, which is an excellent product but is confined to the
Microsoft world.
Regards,
Mark Williams