Re: Debugging EJBs in Jboss 3 in Jbuilder 8

2003-08-12 11:08:29 PM
jbuilder16
Jim wrote:
Hi all. I'm trying to debug EJB's in a jboss 3.0 container that's on
my local machine, and I'm having a bit of trouble.

From what I understand, I have to do the following:

To the jboss startup script, add a line that looks like: set
JBOSS_DEBUG_FLAGS= -Xdebug -Xnoagent -Djava.compiler=NONE
-Xrunjdwp:transpor t=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=n,address=3999

Then add that info to the startup line:

:RESTART "%JAVA%" %JBOSS_DEBUG_FLAGS% %JAVA_OPTS% -classpath
"%JBOSS_CLASSPATH%" org.jboss.Main %ARGS%

On the jbuilder side, I have to enable remote debugging for the
project (using the same port 3999, and same protocol).

I've installed the Progegra Enterprise Wizard for Jboss 3.0, which
seems to deploy beans successfully. I built a quick hello world
bean, and when the client is run (in non-debug mode), it works just
fine.

When I run my client program in debug mode, it's a different story.
It looks like Jbuilder connects to Jboss, as I can see all sorts of
Jboss threads in the de{*word*81}. But my client is not running. I'm
not exactly sure what to do to make the client run properly locally,
then step into the EJB code. Everything just sits there, and I'm not
sure what to do...

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

-Jim Nemesh

You say that your "client is not running", can you be more specific?
When you hit the "Debug" button, what *exactly* happens?
Are you trying to debug the server-side code? Or the client-side? or both?
--
Regards,
Lori Olson (TeamB)

Re:Re: Debugging EJBs in Jboss 3 in Jbuilder 8

"Lori M Olson (TeamB)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Jim wrote:

You say that your "client is not running", can you be more specific?
When you hit the "Debug" button, what *exactly* happens?

Are you trying to debug the server-side code? Or the client-side? or
both?

When I hit the debug button, it looks like jbuilder attaches to the
jboss server.
Then, everything pauses. If I then run (non-debug mode) the client side, a
second
tab comes up with the client code running. I can then hit breakpoints on
the
server and stop execution of that code (under tab one, which is labeled
1:3999
- 3999 is the port I'm using to attach the debug process.)
I'm trying to start debugging on the client side, and seamlessly step
into server
side code. The last IDE I used was visual cafe w/ Weblogic, and I was able
assign a 'client' program to my EJBs. You could debug the EJBs, and when
you
did it would run the client in debug mode. You could seamlessly step back
and
forth from client to server and back without having to do anything. This
sounds
pretty similar to JBuilder letting you build client test code, and debugging
that and
the server.
It seems from the options offered in Jbuilder 8 Enterprise that it would
support
seamless debugging, so I'm sure I just have something set up incorrectly.
Thanks for your time.
-Jim Nemesh

Re:Re: Debugging EJBs in Jboss 3 in Jbuilder 8

Hi Jim,
When you press the debug button, JBuilder will run the default runtime
configuration. (see Run | Configuration...). Your default runtime configuration
is currently set for remote debugging. To debug your client, you will need to
create a new runtime configuration for the client, and debug using that runtime
configuration.
If you have only one configuration defined, that configuration will be
considered as default configuration. You can set any configuration as default by
checking the Default checkbox. (see Run | Configuration...)
-Hin
news:3f3902ec$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>Jim wrote:
>
>You say that your "client is not running", can you be more specific?
>When you hit the "Debug" button, what *exactly* happens?
>
>Are you trying to debug the server-side code? Or the client-side? or
both?

When I hit the debug button, it looks like jbuilder attaches to the
jboss server.
Then, everything pauses. If I then run (non-debug mode) the client side, a
second
tab comes up with the client code running. I can then hit breakpoints on
the
server and stop execution of that code (under tab one, which is labeled
1:3999
- 3999 is the port I'm using to attach the debug process.)

I'm trying to start debugging on the client side, and seamlessly step
into server
side code. The last IDE I used was visual cafe w/ Weblogic, and I was able
assign a 'client' program to my EJBs. You could debug the EJBs, and when
you
did it would run the client in debug mode. You could seamlessly step back
and
forth from client to server and back without having to do anything. This
sounds
pretty similar to JBuilder letting you build client test code, and debugging
that and
the server.

It seems from the options offered in Jbuilder 8 Enterprise that it would
support
seamless debugging, so I'm sure I just have something set up incorrectly.

Thanks for your time.

-Jim Nemesh

{smallsort}