Building intro GUI with standard controls

2005-12-10 06:09:47 AM
jbuilder13
Currently, I am in the process of moving from Visual Basic 6.0 to Java with the Borland Ent X IDE. I am having a hard time understanding how to build simple GUI's.
Does someone have a good .pdf or book ISBN that offers good simple lab projects on building GUI's.
Edward Wittlinger
1 (440) 785-8862 Cell Phone

Re:Building intro GUI with standard controls

Edward wrote:

I want to add and size text fields and labels. I would like a lab that
goes into detail on building data entry type forms (first name, last name,
etc.). That .pdf only shows a UI with a command button and menus.

Edward Wittlinger

"Arthur Ore" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>If you've got the CD version, on disc 2 there is a directory called pdf.
>You could have a look at designui.pdf
>
>Arth
>
>"Edward" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>news:439a0ebb$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>>
>>Currently, I am in the process of moving from Visual Basic 6.0 to Java
>>with the Borland Ent X IDE. I am having a hard time understanding how
>>to build simple GUI's.
>>
>>Does someone have a good .pdf or book ISBN that offers good simple lab
>>projects on building GUI's.
>>
>>Edward Wittlinger
>>1 (440) 785-8862 Cell Phone

Look at my web site, Java for Delphi programmers. Goes into lay out
managers. It is outdated now, but still should help you somewhat.
www.computer-logic.net/javadelphi/

could have a look at designui.pdf

Arth

"Edward" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news:439a0ebb$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>Currently, I am in the process of moving from Visual Basic 6.0 to Java
>with the Borland Ent X IDE. I am having a hard time understanding how to
>build simple GUI's.
>
>Does someone have a good .pdf or book ISBN that offers good simple lab
>projects on building GUI's.
>
>Edward Wittlinger
>1 (440) 785-8862 Cell Phone

Re:Building intro GUI with standard controls

Have you seen Sun's Swing tutorial?
java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/uiswing/components/components.html
Hopefully between Paul's web site and Sun's tutorial, you'll be able to find
what you want.
I DON'T KNOW, but beware, with Sun's tutorial some examples may have been
updated to use JDK 1.5, whilst be default JBuilderX uses JDK 1.4. However,
the concepts of the layout managers and components are the same. I had a
quick look and the FEW snippets of code I looked at, seemed at first glance
to be OK for JDK 1.4