JBuilder 2005 throws FileNotFoundException when debugging

2004-12-07 05:18:07 PM
jbuilder14
Hi,
To reproduce the problem all you need to do is use JBuilder to debug the
following code using JDK 1.5
import static java.lang.System.*;
import java.util.*;
public class Test {
out.println(Calendar.getInstance());
}
}
This was posted a few months ago but the original threads seemed to have
been removed without a solution.
See Java Bug: bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do
for more information.
(Many other people are reporting the exact same problem).
Sun says they will not fix this bug, and so all future JDKs will have
the same problem.
How do we configure JBuilder 2005 Developer to not enter the de{*word*81}
for this case only?
Thanks,
Yoseph

Re:JBuilder 2005 throws FileNotFoundException when debugging

On 12/7/2004 at 4:18:07 AM, Yoseph Phillips wrote:
This was posted a few months ago but the original threads seemed
to have been removed ...
News servers do not generally store messages forever - they have an
expiration period. I think for this server, the period is 60 days.
If you need to retrieve a messages posted more than 60 days ago, you
can use a news archive site such as Google Groups.
... without a solution.

See Java Bug: bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do
for more information.

(Many other people are reporting the exact same problem).
Sun says they will not fix this bug, and so all future JDKs will have
the same problem.
Since this is a problem with the Sun JDK and Sun says it is not able to
fix it, it is unlikely that Borland will be able to do so.
How do we configure JBuilder 2005 Developer to not enter the de{*word*81}
for this case only?
I don't think there is any way to do that. You can configure the "All
uncaught exceptions" breakpoint to not stop the program, but that does not
sound like a good idea.
Of course, you could just press the "Resume Program" button when it
occurs.
--
Regards,
John McGrath [TeamB]

John McGrath [TeamB] wrote:
>How do we configure JBuilder 2005 Developer to not enter the de{*word*81}
>for this case only?

I don't think there is any way to do that.
It's a SMOP ("Simple/Small Matter Of Programming"). :-). JB does have a
history of shipping workarounds for JDK problems (e.g. the various
"swing fixes" jars).
In theory, JB could examine the exception stack, and if it's a
FileNotFoundException with sun.util.calendar.ZoneInfoFile$1.run as the
third frame from the top, it could skip it and continue as a special case.
Perhaps with a -D flag in jbuilder.config to control this hack.
Could an OpenTool be written for this (Is it possible to control
breakpoints in the OpenTools API? How about in the Personal edition?)

{smallsort}

On 12/30/2004 at 12:54:37 PM, Shankar Unni wrote:
In theory, JB could examine the exception stack, and if it's a
FileNotFoundException with sun.util.calendar.ZoneInfoFile$1.run as the
third frame from the top, it could skip it and continue as a special
case.
I am sure that could be done. JBuilder is already looking at exceptions
that occur and responding to them. It should be possible to make
decisions based on where the exception occurred, since that information is
in the exception.
Perhaps with a -D flag in jbuilder.config to control this hack.

Could an OpenTool be written for this (Is it possible to control
breakpoints in the OpenTools API? How about in the Personal edition?)
I really do not know for sure. As far as I know, the OpenTools API does
not expose anything close to this, so you would probably have to write
something that talks JVMDI and manages to co-exist with JBuilder's debug
handling. I do not know much about JVMDI, so I have no idea if this is
feasible, but it sounds rather dicey to me.